Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) Active Users: 343 / Visits Today: 343
Highest Active Users: 343
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors)
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Other Tractors, Attachments and other projects
 Other Garden Tractors
 trouble strikes
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

jimmyj

Canada
1081 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2009 :  08:09:10  Show Profile  Visit jimmyj's Homepage Send jimmyj a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the story Phil. Great looking job too. My wife really only gets fussed if I don't finish the project. She's usually OK if junk turns into something decent - she respects that I have hobbies like she does (as long as the costs don't get too high...).

Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12827 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2009 :  00:57:45  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I got a feeble start today on pulling the front axle out of my Kubota. Unfortunately I think it is going to take some work as the front axle pivot lube was neglected for so long it is almost welded to the frame. If I stand on one end of the axle with my 225 lbs the axle will only move if I bounce up and down a bit. It is possible that the lack of lube may have contributed to the axle break. As it turns out the axle is cracking on the front side as well (blue arrow).

I tried pumping grease in the zerk and got little to go in indicating that the grease in the "Axle pivot is caked solid." I am yet to remove the pto shaft as I can't find my large "c" clip tool to remove item 090. Will buy one tomorrow. I believe the axle support #070 is supposed to slip out the front along with PTO shaft after removal of the 4 cap screws 080 but gentle persuasion has not budged it. I do not want to apply heat but was wondering if I removed the zerk and injected JB blaster if it might work to loosen things up. what do you think?

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

haykarenhardy

USA
199 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2009 :  09:24:24  Show Profile  Visit haykarenhardy's Homepage Send haykarenhardy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"injected JB blaster" I guess it would be worth a try, soak for a week maybe? With my luck it would be spray, heat, hammer all the way!
Stan

Go to Top of Page

Roy

USA
1366 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2009 :  09:43:43  Show Profile  Visit Roy's Homepage Send Roy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Phil,

The problems you are having with the Kubota sure make AC's and Simplicities look better all time.

Roy
Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2009 :  11:32:50  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They make injector tools to shoot penetrant into grease fittings. Kinda pricey, but so is spending days removing frozen fittings.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Grease-Joint-Rejuvenator-Unplug-Cleaner-Buster-Fitting_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2em20Q2el1116QQitemZ280223154640QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools

I've done kind of the same thing with a std grease gun. I pour penetrant into the grease gun, then pump into trash can till the penetrant starts coming out. Has worked many time for me when grease wouldn't think of going through.

Daniel in Ky -- So much to do, so little time!

Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12827 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2009 :  20:29:34  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Roy, you wrote
"The problems you are having with the Kubota sure make AC's and Simplicities look better all time."

Well, There is no bigger fan out there for the Simplicity designs...(especially the early B series) than I but I have to be fair and point out that this poor Kubota has been the victim of countless years of neglect. The most recent PO complained that the tractor had no brakes but it was just a matter the the peddle pivot on the hydrostatic foot control was so neglected that I had to completely disassemble to scrape the old grease, turned to hard wax, out of the bushing surfaces and grease hole so that I could lube. Now when I press on the brake the hydrostatic drive goes to neutral allowing the tractor to stop. Imagine that! That zerk in the front pivot had not seen a grease gun until September when I attempted to lube and found pumping extremely tough. I did not realize that it needed immediate attention and planned to take care of it "tomorrow". I am not sure but It is possible that zerk also lubes the PTO shaft which is still "OK" Now if what you are referring to is the complexity I agree wholeheartedly. I believe the PTO on the Simplicity Sunstar is very similar.

Daniel, that is very interesting, sounds like a farmer's solution. I say that with admiration.

I went to the auto parts store today to pickup a "C" clip tool and some liquid wrench in a can. but all I could find was the aerosol stuff because I wasn't willing spent big bucks on a gallon can of JB Blaster. I have never used JB Blaster and Liquid Wrench is more of a known quantity to me haven used it extensively in my younger days before cars and everything else got too complicated for me to feel comfortable with doing much more than changing oil and wiping the windshields. I ended up buying a $5 can of JB Blaster and a new Retainer clip tool and pitched away $27.23. Just before kickoff this evening I sneaked out and extracted the large "C" clip out of the front of the PTO and it immediately slipped off the end of my expensive tool and ricocheted off the tin roof and then the tractor hood and finally hit the rear wall of my leanto shed, hiding itself down behind a line of Implements and tools. OH Shucks! Well, something like that. I thought I would never find it but it stood out sharply against the white limestone. What luck! I almost never find ejected parts that easily. By now I was feeling pretty good so i reached under and slid the PTO shaft fore and aft and easily tapped out the front bearing and extracted the Shaft. I removed the zerk and shot a generous amount of solvent up in the cavity and around both ends of the axle support. I resisted doing any more, electing to allow the magical elixir time to work. I really wanted to finish the day on a high note.

I packed up my wrenches and hammer and put my new $20. tool back in its blister pack and started looking for a place to store it. Hey, its in a blister pack, I'll just hand it on a nail above my tool chest. I reach up to put it on the nail and hanging on another nail not 6 inches to the left is the other "C" clip tool I spent so much time looking for yesterday.

Should I try in a couple of days to tap it out with a hammer and a block of oak or should I get a slide hammer from Harbor Freight with a bearing extractor

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin

Edited by - skunkhome on 02/01/2009 20:42:40
Go to Top of Page

Roy

USA
1366 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2009 :  20:54:53  Show Profile  Visit Roy's Homepage Send Roy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"I reach up to put it on the nail and hanging on another nail not 6 inches to the left is the other "C" clip tool I spent so much time looking for yesterday."

I do that!!!!!!!!

Roy
Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2009 :  21:00:30  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Phil....I have the solution to your problem! You come up here & milk these cows till power comes back online. You'll have gen power. I will come down your way & repair your Kubota. Win win situation!

Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12827 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2009 :  21:09:29  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by olcowhand

Hey Phil....I have the solution to your problem! You come up here & milk these cows till power comes back online. You'll have gen power. I will come down your way & repair your Kubota. Win win situation!

how many head are you willing to loose or have go dry on you in that deal? BTW how are you faring?

Phil

Benjamin Franklin

Edited by - skunkhome on 02/01/2009 21:13:47
Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2009 :  05:29:40  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Doing fair. Getting rest is the main problem. I'm not working 24/7, but you can't make the brain quit working. Stressful here to say the least. Trying to keep my sense of humor to keep my sanity. The telephone can be your worst enemy at times, but I need it just the same.
Gotta start on the fences today. Went into the main woods yesterday, or should I say up to them. NO way to get a 4 wheeler or even hardly walk into them....limbs & trees down EVERYWHERE, piled high upon themselves! Already worries going round with forestry officials for coming year of dangers of forest fires due to all the "fuel" on the ground. They say it would burn so hot that ALL the trees would be decimated. Word down the pipe that I might be two MORE weeks without power. Gonna cost us plenty just to generate AC for the dairy. Just what we need with falling milk price. Oh well, been there before.

Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12827 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2009 :  22:14:52  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess I am right to assume the only thing holding this support in is supposed to be the 4 cap screws I removed.

I guess that only thing holding this thing together is the is the rust and grime which I have been soaking and tapping with a drilling hammer. In fear of damaging the end of the "pin" I decided to stop pounding on it. today I rigged up a puller with 1/2" all thread using oak and a crossbar of Peruvian alder. I thghtened it down and was pleased to see the gap open (red arrow) but furthered noticed that the gap between the frame and axle (green arrow) had closed. Rats all I was doing was bending the frame.

I put some washers between the frame and the axle to prevent the frame from moving. I then proceeded to retighten and heard a loud pop. I was pleased thinking I had broken the pen loose but it turned out that it was just my Peruvian Alder cracking. I added another piece of red oak over the top and tightened it as much as I could, but nothing is giving.

I decided I would leave the pressure on and soak it again with JB Blaster. I fear I may damage the frame. Should I try my impact wrench? I do think I need to try finding a small bottle of penetrating oil and do the trick with the grease gun Daniel suggested. Hard to find anything but aerosols.

Phil

Benjamin Franklin

Edited by - skunkhome on 02/10/2009 22:18:21
Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  09:09:35  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd say rust at the rear is all that's holding it. I'd put a lot of pressure on your puller, then heat the rear plate with oxy/acet torch. I'd bet she'd come free with ample heat.

Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12827 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  09:32:07  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Done have oxy/acet, suppose propane torch with MAPP gas would work? I'm just concerned about the seal and bearing at the rear.

Phil

Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  16:24:12  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suppose that might get hot enough, but that seal will likely be destroyed either way. The bearing should come out fine, but will need cleaning. Can you pry the seal out?

Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12827 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  18:36:04  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by olcowhand

Can you pry the seal out?

I suppose I should just count it lost... It did not look particularly good to begin with. I suppose the local dealer can provide one.

Phil

Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) © Michael's Tractors 2006-2019 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1
end of topic