Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) Active Users: 787 / Visits Today: 787
Highest Active Users: 787
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors)
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Other Tractors, Attachments and other projects
 Other Garden Tractors
 trouble strikes
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

skunkhome

USA
12827 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2008 :  00:40:52  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was out sweeping leaves this morning on my Kubota. Typically the tractor has a very tight turning radius but this morning I noticed that the tractor only turned about half as tight turning left as it used to and when I turned right it seemed to turn tighter than ever. I thought it might have a sheared pin or a bent drag link but I got off and examined the steering and found everything in order. I was still pondering the problem as I continued to sweep up the last of the leaves I had mulched when I looked down and noticed that the left hand axle end was out of position about an inch further forward than it was supposed to be. Rats! It turns out that I have a broken axle. The axle assembly is a deep inverted channel with a huge center tube. The rear flange of the channel cracked just to the left of the pivot tube.

The tube accepts a hollow center pin which contains the front PTO shaft. (I believe that is similar to the Sunstar setup) It appears that there is enough clearance on the frame to allow a scab to be welded on the back of the channel to reinforce the axle. The exploded drawings of the parts manual make it look like the disassembly is simple but you never can tell. Don't know yet if the PTO shaft has to be removed first or if it will come out with the pivot pin. I fear it might be like everything else on the tractor (not easy to work on even if you can see what you are doing. I removed the mower (a 30 minute job) and parked it in the shed until time is available to dig into it.

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2008 :  08:11:46  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Remember me telling you that you should get a welder? Karma I reckon. Armed with this, should make a good case with the wife for a welder purchase. "Honey, you know how much a welder charges?"

Daniel in Ky -- So much to do, so little time!

Go to Top of Page

Roy

USA
1366 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2008 :  08:26:44  Show Profile  Visit Roy's Homepage Send Roy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear this happened. Gives me all the more reason to like my AC & Simplicities with 1/2" thick solid steel axles. Not to mention the ease in working on them.

Roy
Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2008 :  08:40:46  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't worry much as to weld-ability. Mostly just the aggravation of having to deal with it. It should be easy enough to weld up, but if there is room for an additional brace plate, then that's much better. If I were closer, I'd fix it for you. Take a road trip up here & I'll weld her up!

Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12827 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2008 :  00:42:36  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by olcowhand

I wouldn't worry much as to weld-ability. Mostly just the aggravation of having to deal with it. It should be easy enough to weld up, but if there is room for an additional brace plate, then that's much better. If I were closer, I'd fix it for you. Take a road trip up here & I'll weld her up!

There's UPS! but a road trip sounds good too.
"Remember me telling you that you should get a welder? Karma I reckon. Armed with this, should make a good case with the wife for a welder purchase. "Honey, you know how much a welder charges?""

Now Daniel, you are supposed to be putting the brandy on the fruitcakes!
You must be nipping at it a bit if you thing my wife is going to buy that line. I am not even going to tell her that I broke an axle. She just about had me committed the day she looked out and then asked me why my tractor said "kabuta and diesel" The less I discuss those tractors with her the better off I am.

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin

Edited by - skunkhome on 12/21/2008 00:47:17
Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12827 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2008 :  19:56:40  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought I had found a solution by buying an axle off of eBay but I got busy this evening and plum forgot to go back and bid. I was bidding on some headlight assemblies also and lost them too.

Phil

Benjamin Franklin

Edited by - skunkhome on 12/29/2008 19:57:14
Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2008 :  20:02:19  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Phil Phil,...Phil, ya gotta keep your eye on the target!

Go to Top of Page

jimmyj

Canada
1081 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2008 :  07:17:55  Show Profile  Visit jimmyj's Homepage Send jimmyj a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Phil. Sorry to hear about your problem. Funny comment about your wife and the tractor story sharing. I have the same problem. I can hear it already "I told you you did not need that thing and now you have to spend more money..."

I vote for the welder - I am sure you could get a great deal on ebay!!!
Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12827 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2009 :  22:48:26  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jimmyj

Hey Phil. Sorry to hear about your problem. Funny comment about your wife and the tractor story sharing. I have the same problem. I can hear it already "I told you you did not need that thing and now you have to spend more money..."

I vote for the welder - I am sure you could get a great deal on ebay!!!

You don't know the half of it. When I bought my first (two years ago) tractor I drove all the way to the plains of SW Missouri. My wife asked me "what makes you think it will even run?". "I certainly don't want an old rusty tractor in the back yard" she said. I assumed the Guy selling it to me was telling the truth.
"And where are you going to get it?" I stretched my mileage figures a bit to make it not sound so crazy. I took my grown son and drove 750 miles one way across three states only to find that the old guy was not being forth coming. It did not run. I was sick but after spending more on gasoline than the tractor I was not about to leave it. When my son and I got back to the motel in Joplin, I fell on my sword and called my wife telling her "as usual you were right... it does not run. It was a horrible thing to admit but that was the turning point. I brought it home and quietly parked it in a blind spot in the back yard where she did not have to look at it.
It was pretty sorry looking.

After a couple of days I got it running and used it to mow the lawn.

My wife did like that the yard was looking good as I was cutting a couple times a week and I promised to clean out my shed so that I would have a place to hide it.

At the end of the summer I refurbished the old girl (tractor) and finally showed it off to Jann.

She took one look at it and said Wow! it looks brand new! I then said, "and next I will clean out the shed so I have a place to park it." To that she said. "that's OK, you can park it on the patio."

I finally felt vendicated.

But a welding machine to repair the Kubota that is ugly and smelley? I'm not pushing my luck.

Phil

Benjamin Franklin

Edited by - skunkhome on 01/06/2009 22:49:31
Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2009 :  10:27:53  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love that story Phil. We all pretty much have done similar things, so reading your story, I can identify! And a great resto job you did!
BTW...what has your wife said of the Kubota???

Go to Top of Page

haykarenhardy

USA
199 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2009 :  17:41:22  Show Profile  Visit haykarenhardy's Homepage Send haykarenhardy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/10049

If you don't get the axle repaired by June load it in your trunk and take wife on trip to Dover. Three miles from Warther Carvings is a welder.
Stan

Go to Top of Page

Roy

USA
1366 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2009 :  21:44:18  Show Profile  Visit Roy's Homepage Send Roy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Phil, Phil, you need a welder. An investment in tools is never wasted provided you need and use the tool.

OWHN talks to friends and hears what it cost them to get their cars, mowers, etc. fixed and then, knowing what it costs us, never complains about my tool purchases. She understands how well off she is.

Roy
Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12827 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2009 :  23:46:20  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Roy

Phil, Phil, you need a welder. An investment in tools is never wasted provided you need and use the tool.

OWHN talks to friends and hears what it cost them to get their cars, mowers, etc. fixed and then, knowing what it costs us, never complains about my tool purchases. She understands how well off she is.

I would be much more handy with the cars if they were made of wood. I have been secretly looking for a welder.

Phil

Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

bud119195

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2009 :  15:23:02  Show Profile  Visit bud119195's Homepage Send bud119195 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I welded an old piece of junk craftsman that had the same problem and the steering straightend out.Its kind of nice to have hole in center of axle to get tip of wire welder in and weld it from the inside.
All I got is a cheap 110volt century welder and it works great for everything I do
Go to Top of Page

allisstuff

40 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2009 :  19:37:13  Show Profile  Visit allisstuff's Homepage Send allisstuff a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Phil,

Go down to your Home Depot and check their rental office. I think that they rent MIG welders. It's a lot cheaper than buying one.
Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12827 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2009 :  22:37:50  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by allisstuff

Phil,

Go down to your Home Depot and check their rental office. I think that they rent MIG welders. It's a lot cheaper than buying one.

Thanks, may just give that a try. I still have to get the time to tear the Kubota apart. Way too busy!

Phil

Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) © Michael's Tractors 2006-2019 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1
end of topic