Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) Active Users: 2777 / Visits Today: 1342
Highest Active Users: 2777
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors)
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Information
 The Tractor and Attachment Gallery
 New To Me 917H
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Richard L.

USA
483 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2010 :  09:03:25  Show Profile  Visit Richard L.'s Homepage Send Richard L. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey ATF, Could you give the contact info for the guy with the 917. Maybe make 2 people happy even if you wouldn't have been. Any KT17 II for $150 is a good thing and all those extra parts!!
Go to Top of Page

Cvans

USA
4406 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2010 :  13:26:43  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about a address for the Cat diesels. I'm thinking that a search for Cat diesels is going to lead me on a long chase>
Thanks,
Chris

East Central South Dakota

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

ATF

USA
1892 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2010 :  18:10:42  Show Profile  Visit ATF's Homepage Send ATF a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard L.

Hey ATF, Could you give the contact info for the guy with the 917. Maybe make 2 people happy even if you wouldn't have been. Any KT17 II for $150 is a good thing and all those extra parts!!

PM me for contact info, I don't see how its any kind of deal by the time you pay for shipping?

Go to Top of Page

ATF

USA
1892 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2010 :  19:06:55  Show Profile  Visit ATF's Homepage Send ATF a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can send better picture and print in pdf, but here ya go, All yellow be gerat in a 900 series tractor, look out dirt

Go to Top of Page

B10Dave

Canada
1951 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2010 :  21:04:45  Show Profile Send B10Dave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chris. Google Caterpillar Industrial Engine C1.1 Lots of neat info comes up. Dave.

Money can't buy you happiness.
It can however buy you a beer.
And that is close enough.

Go to Top of Page

Cvans

USA
4406 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2010 :  21:32:41  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK thanks. The picture is kind of small but that(fan) almost looks like a water cooled engine and as for now I'm not interested in getting involved in that again. I'll take a look.
Thanks for the info guys,
Chris

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Edited by - Cvans on 09/06/2010 21:34:03
Go to Top of Page

Cvans

USA
4406 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2010 :  21:46:01  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The lowest price I found on the little Cat diesel was $2500. + freight. If you can purchase 3 cylinder water cooled diesels for $500. bucks I would order a bunch and resell them. That would be the deal of a life time.

Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12826 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2010 :  22:25:52  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cvans

Don't get started on that diesel stuff. I'm warning you that's a pit you'll never get out of buy yourself. Two years ago I transplanted my first diesel and now every tractor I get has to be examined for the possibility of another transplant. I'm thinking very seriously about putting one of these in that 914 if I end up with it.
http://concreteliftingusa.com/DEK.HTML
Chris

Chris, do you have a history with the DEK. I read a thread recently where a guy put a Chinese diesel in his tractor only to have it fail after 28 hours and the the second one fail after 60 hours. Sound like he took great care with the second engine. I don't know if they were DEK's though. He said he was getting noticable dust through the air filter "but not much". My feeling is that any you can see is far too much.

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

Cvans

USA
4406 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2010 :  00:02:23  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would have to agree with you on the dust thing. There should be no dust bypassing or passing through a properly designed filter. NO I do not have any personal experience with this brand of diesel. I do know that there is a great many different manufacturers in China and some are very good and some not good at all. I have read quite a few stories of unhappy owners of the Chinese diesels but none were of this brand. On the other hand there are others that are having great luck with theirs. Some manufacturers only use the aluminum of the crank case as a bearing for the crankshaft and cam and that has proven to be a disaster. I did visit with the gentleman that has these and over the phone he seemed to be happy with this brand. He was not at all pushy and tried to answer all of my questions. That was 2 years ago though. I have to admit that I am a sucker for what looks to be a good deal. With my time and your money we should be able to get to the bottom of this though

Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

ATF

USA
1892 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2010 :  00:21:46  Show Profile  Visit ATF's Homepage Send ATF a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The C1.1 was high CAT sells another one for 599.00 that;s around 10hp, not the C1.1. The Chinese diesels, honda clones, and honda engine are all junk now. I wouldn't do it, I have a Massey MF14 I may try a water cooled diesel in, but that down the road and after much reasearch

Go to Top of Page

Cvans

USA
4406 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2010 :  00:34:20  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found this and may have to contact the guy who did the Allis conversion and see if he still has the tractor and how the engine turned out.
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?p=951842

Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12826 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2010 :  06:41:12  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I spoke (wrote) to him a month or so back in a thread about a log skidder he had made and he was using the tractor and reported that it was doing well. I hate what he did with the hood. Isn't there a way around that by using the original tank and rerouting the exhaust? No sure about the long extension on the engine crank as i think it would be harder to balance with a joint that far out. I would think fabing a longer propeller shaft to connect closer to the engine would be better.
Everything else on the conversion looks ok to me, but what do I know?
here is a more recent posting http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=124516&page=4

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin

Edited by - skunkhome on 09/07/2010 06:59:52
Go to Top of Page

ATF

USA
1892 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2010 :  07:53:25  Show Profile  Visit ATF's Homepage Send ATF a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skunkhome

I spoke (wrote) to him a month or so back in a thread about a log skidder he had made and he was using the tractor and reported that it was doing well. I hate what he did with the hood. Isn't there a way around that by using the original tank and rerouting the exhaust? No sure about the long extension on the engine crank as i think it would be harder to balance with a joint that far out. I would think fabing a longer propeller shaft to connect closer to the engine would be better.
Everything else on the conversion looks ok to me, but what do I know?
here is a more recent posting http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=124516&page=4

Oh man Phil, you took the words right out of my mouth. I do not like cutting the hood. this guy could have bulged the hood like he did the frame, ditto on the shaft. I'll wait to afford to buy a kohler diesel, they're nice

Go to Top of Page

Cvans

USA
4406 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2010 :  08:18:39  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately the two conversions I did required modifications to the hood also. I didn't like it and still don't but it was that or no hood at all. I'm still looking for ways to upgrade my hoods so they will appear nicer. The Bolens will be easier as it is fiber glass. I don't know what his finished product looked like either. Also from my experience until I have walked in the persons shoes who is doing the conversion and know all the circumstances it's tough to know what I should say. If he is happy with the results, more power to him. I also would have preferred to lengthen the drive shaft but here again I don't know the gentleman or his skill level. I do find myself explaining why and how I have done things and I don't mind and find that some people are very observant. I have also learned a ton of things from people with constructive ideas and am in their debt. Thanks for the link Phil and I would still like to visit with the guy and maybe he can talk me out of this hair brained idea.

Thomas Jefferson

Edited by - Cvans on 09/07/2010 08:19:57
Go to Top of Page

Cvans

USA
4406 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2010 :  09:05:37  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After going back to page 1 of that thread and reading the whole thing I have to say that I'm impressed with his work and the time and effort he put into the thread. He also explains his feelings about the hood and I guess we think along the same lines. I don't even repaint my tractors (most anyway) because they are going to be workers. For some reason I'm more concerned about the appearance of my work than the tractor. Sounds like he is getting fantastic fuel economy with that conversion also. Thanks again for that link, it was very enlightening.

Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) © Michael's Tractors 2006-2019 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.1 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1
end of topic