Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) Active Users: 2913 / Visits Today: 1478
Highest Active Users: 2913
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors)
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Information
 The Tractor and Attachment Gallery
 New To Me 917H
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

ATF

USA
1892 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2010 :  23:08:26  Show Profile  Visit ATF's Homepage Send ATF a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess tis the season for new tractors. In all fairness I have more than my fair share, but I'm a P-I-G. I found this through a friend, he gave me the guys number. I thought he told me he wanted 50 bucks for the tractor, he says he said 150, but I was under the impression the motor was bad, but he says it runs good, so 150 it is, I'll pick it up in a couple of days in Wichita

larry8200

USA
3166 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2010 :  23:16:56  Show Profile  Visit larry8200's Homepage Send larry8200 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeh, got potential, maybe that 48" deck is good. I can get you a bargain on lace trimmed seat pillows :)

Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12826 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2010 :  23:19:35  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
150 isn't too bad. Can I find you picture on the post-office wall?

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

Gray

Canada
165 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2010 :  03:06:12  Show Profile  Visit Gray's Homepage Send Gray a Private Message  Reply with Quote
150? That's illegal. Total steal.

o gee whiz, the seat needs replace.

will it cook breakfast as well as Larry's?

ALLIS CHALMERS 716H
SIMPLICITY Pacer 1334
Go to Top of Page

ATF

USA
1892 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2010 :  08:02:25  Show Profile  Visit ATF's Homepage Send ATF a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gray

150? That's illegal. Total steal.

o gee whiz, the seat needs replace.

will it cook breakfast as well as Larry's?

Actually no, t doesn't have a grille. but I can strap some brisket to the muffler shield and make some pretty fine BBQ while I cut the grass.

Go to Top of Page

ATF

USA
1892 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2010 :  18:14:21  Show Profile  Visit ATF's Homepage Send ATF a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Going o Wichita first thing tomorrow and snagging it. I cant wait to see it in person

Go to Top of Page

Cvans

USA
4406 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2010 :  21:01:59  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And it runs too. If you were any luckier you'd have to be twins. I'm going to call a guy back about a 914 with a rebuilt motor that smokes and he wants $250. Says his Son rebuilt it in school. Do you want to trade.
Chris

East Central South Dakota

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

ATF

USA
1892 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2010 :  23:25:58  Show Profile  Visit ATF's Homepage Send ATF a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cvans

And it runs too. If you were any luckier you'd have to be twins. I'm going to call a guy back about a 914 with a rebuilt motor that smokes and he wants $250. Says his Son rebuilt it in school. Do you want to trade.
Chris

Believe it or not, that's more of a temptation than you know. I'm a BIG single cylinder 14hp 16hp kohler collector, but I have plans for a Kohler M20 Magnum in this beast, maybe a small diesel

Go to Top of Page

Cvans

USA
4406 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2010 :  00:01:14  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't get started on that diesel stuff. I'm warning you that's a pit you'll never get out of buy yourself. Two years ago I transplanted my first diesel and now every tractor I get has to be examined for the possibility of another transplant. I'm thinking very seriously about putting one of these in that 914 if I end up with it.
http://concreteliftingusa.com/DEK.HTML
Chris

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Edited by - Cvans on 09/05/2010 00:06:45
Go to Top of Page

thepatriot

USA
98 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2010 :  05:57:41  Show Profile  Visit thepatriot's Homepage Send thepatriot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great score,good looking tractor!

AC B10-Simplicity LL101,7010,7110,7790DIESEL
Go to Top of Page

Gray

Canada
165 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2010 :  13:35:13  Show Profile  Visit Gray's Homepage Send Gray a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is there a problem with these 17 twins? It seems to me I hear mixed rumours.

ALLIS CHALMERS 716H
SIMPLICITY Pacer 1334
Go to Top of Page

simplelife

USA
1385 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2010 :  13:49:20  Show Profile  Visit simplelife's Homepage Send simplelife a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gray

Is there a problem with these 17 twins? It seems to me I hear mixed rumours.

If I remember correctly, the series 1 still had a splash lube system and with the opposed twins if you ran them on a side incline for any period of time, the uphill bank would not get lubed, almost certain failure. The series II they added an oil pump to correct this problem. That is how I recall it anyhow. Very few of the Series I models survived giving them a bad reputation.

The sticker on the side of this one looks to be a series II, so there should be a better than average shot at it being an ok engine.
Go to Top of Page

Gray

Canada
165 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2010 :  13:55:00  Show Profile  Visit Gray's Homepage Send Gray a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chris - brand new diesels for that price - wow.

I spoke to a guy recently, he uses diesel, and he said for fuel he has been using recovered auto transmission fluid, from tranny servicing shop. Not sure of the details; but it sounds like pretty cheap fuel. Does that make sense in your experience?

I also have been learning recently about how Hydro trans works - at least, better hydros such as Vickers and Sundstrand. Apparently engine hp is not all that important. Apparently, enough power to spin the hydro pump to maintain pump pressure is mostly what's required, so the trans can make torque to the wheels. On flat ground we need only tiny hp. On hills and bigger loads, we need about 10 or 12 ish - perhaps slightly more at times. So huge hp engines really aren't required with a better quality hydro, for most usage, for most individuals.

This almost says that there is very little difference between a Simp/AC with whatever motor - from 10hp to 20hp, since the trans is the bigger factor.

ALLIS CHALMERS 716H
SIMPLICITY Pacer 1334
Go to Top of Page

Cvans

USA
4406 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2010 :  14:53:02  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not a petro chemist but personally I would be looking into the transmission oil thing. I believe some of those oils have compounds in them that increase the traction between the clutch plates. How these compounds would react in a high pressure combustion environment is beyond me. I guess if the vendor of the engines is willing to back up his statements, go for it. I know mixing 50% diesel and 50% filtered crank case oil is suppose to be OK and many are doing it. I use so little fuel with these diesels that I'm not sure it would be worth the mess. I've been wanting to install one of those diesels for 2 years so if the 914 follows me home I could be doing the install next spring. I promised the wife I would do some remodeling in the house this winter so my free time in the near future is going to be very limited. Please let me know if you purchase one of those engines and how it turned out.
Chris

Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

ATF

USA
1892 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2010 :  22:58:18  Show Profile  Visit ATF's Homepage Send ATF a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Those DEK diesels aren't so hot, might be okay for a cement mixer or small tractor, but they wont hold up to larger tractors, too small a shaft size. Caterpillar has one for 599.00 that's a REAL garden tractor diesel

Go to Top of Page

ATF

USA
1892 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2010 :  23:00:04  Show Profile  Visit ATF's Homepage Send ATF a Private Message  Reply with Quote
BTW, if you didn't see my post, my 917 was a 712 or 7012, had a cut out on the tunnel for a three speed, and wrong model numbers for a 917

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) © Michael's Tractors 2006-2019 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1
end of topic