Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) Active Users: 2778 / Visits Today: 1343
Highest Active Users: 2778
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors)
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Information
 The Tractor and Attachment Gallery
 Question For Phil
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

ATF

USA
1892 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2010 :  19:39:36  Show Profile  Visit ATF's Homepage Send ATF a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, I know most of the guys on here are going to hate me, but that never stopped me before. I'm thinking of putting the Kohler k341 from the early Allis I bought in the late model 7016, repaint it and put on Allis decals. I collect tractors with Kohler Cast Iron k-series motors, the Briggs is kind of out of place. I think someone else would love to have it more than me. If I do that I lose a tractor, but gain alot of parts and two kohler 700 series tractors. I'm not sure about this, but your the guy I'm asking for input, well you and everyone else, lol

B10Dave

Canada
1951 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2010 :  20:55:54  Show Profile Send B10Dave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Phil is too slow on the reply Mike. Full of ribs or something. I say go for the conversion. I'm not like Roy. To me a Kohler is just as desireable as a Briggs. They both have pluses and minuses.Converting to an Allis has been done before(Right Phil?). I say do what pleases you Mike. It's your tractor. Dave

Money can't buy you happiness.
It can however buy you a beer.
And that is close enough.

Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12826 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2010 :  21:33:26  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry, Mike, Dave hit it on the head. Too busy consuming mass quantities of roasted flesh. I'm with Dave on this. If a Kohler under the hood blows your skirt up(Larry will like that) than who am I to say anything to the contrary. All the ribbing about toilets is 99.44% pure joking around. If you look at my avatar you know that I hold nothing sacred about these tractors. I wanted an AC and could not find one so I made one (Well sort of). I still represent it as a 3414S. Just make sure that your wiring is compatible.

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin

Edited by - skunkhome on 09/06/2010 21:35:22
Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12826 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2010 :  22:04:37  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Mike, I just want to add something serious here. Why would anyone here hate you for wanting to modify a tractor to suit your desires? I hope that statement was tongue in cheek and that you don't think anyone here would hold that against you. This site is about fellowship first and then getting the most out of the tractors and hobby we love.

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

freddie

USA
2129 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2010 :  23:02:22  Show Profile  Visit freddie's Homepage Send freddie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i would flush that idea, just kidding. i had to say it
Go to Top of Page

ATF

USA
1892 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2010 :  23:29:57  Show Profile  Visit ATF's Homepage Send ATF a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skunkhome

Mike, I just want to add something serious here. Why would anyone here hate you for wanting to modify a tractor to suit your desires? I hope that statement was tongue in cheek and that you don't think anyone here would hold that against you. This site is about fellowship first and then getting the most out of the tractors and hobby we love.

Oh it's definitely tongue in cheek. I respect the fact that these guys are loyal to Briggs, that's a good thing. This kohler on the Allis I just bought starts at the flick of the switch and runs soooo smooth, so tight, sound like new. The tractor has been used for mowing only, never washed, not garaged much. I don't know whether to switch the hood with the kohler and keep it a early model or just repaint the tractor and put late model 716 decals on it, I'm leaning to the latter. I don't think I'll do anything for a while, I've got 3 Massey 1650's I'm restoring, plus the 2 Bolens as well. I've got to put motor mounts and a muffler on the Cub Cadet 1650 and I need to get the little Montgomery Wards 8hp Hydroa battery and tune-up. I cant wait to put the rear discharge deck on it, I'm looking for a little wards pull behind sweeper for it. What the heck I'm doing I have no idea

Go to Top of Page

acb10_64

USA
801 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2010 :  23:40:00  Show Profile  Visit acb10_64's Homepage Send acb10_64 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Go for it! Pics are a must though!

Wes

2 1964 Allis Chalmers B-10's

Go to Top of Page

Gray

Canada
165 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  01:19:23  Show Profile  Visit Gray's Homepage Send Gray a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So you have a 716 and you are going to convert a 7016 to a 716? That makes sense if the 7016 is better overall than the (new)716. (I don't know anything about your 7016).

So that means you can also paint the old hood on the 716 when you paint the 7016, and then sell it to me - unless you also tfr the hood to the 7016. - which hints to me, that the 7016 does not have pod lights?? Sound like you really like the 7016, but it needs a REAL motor.

Mike you realize this is a sign that you have too many tractors - or, alternatively, this is the advantage, what you can do, when you have too many tractors.

ALLIS CHALMERS 716H
SIMPLICITY Pacer 1334
Go to Top of Page

ATF

USA
1892 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  04:45:24  Show Profile  Visit ATF's Homepage Send ATF a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gray

So you have a 716 and you are going to convert a 7016 to a 716? That makes sense if the 7016 is better overall than the (new)716. (I don't know anything about your 7016).

So that means you can also paint the old hood on the 716 when you paint the 7016, and then sell it to me - unless you also tfr the hood to the 7016. - which hints to me, that the 7016 does not have pod lights?? Sound like you really like the 7016, but it needs a REAL motor.

Mike you realize this is a sign that you have too many tractors - or, alternatively, this is the advantage, what you can do, when you have too many tractors.

I only have 19 tractors, I tend to go overboard when I find something I like, booze, drugs, women, now it's tractors. I feel this has been a much better addiction the the previous ones.
Most people I know that quit smoking and drinking can tell you exactly how long it's been, to the date. I don't have any idea, I don't care and I don't really think anyone else does either. It isn't a sentence and I'm not doing time with out these things, so why would I want to keep track of it's demise? Tractors on the other hand are completely different and cannot be addictive, it's just something we say to our women folk to explain our need for tractors may be as great as our need for them. In a lot of ways tractors are better and easier to live with than women. I mean tractors don't get mad when you look at other tractors, they don't get upset when you buy magazines about tractors, or you get on another tractor, or how many tractors you've been with.

Go to Top of Page

Gray

Canada
165 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  13:55:05  Show Profile  Visit Gray's Homepage Send Gray a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I often wonder what people do, will do, or plan to do with a dozen or two tractors. Some say they use one tractor for every job that needs doing, and they talk also about not having to change attachments, hitches, etc. Some say the investment side is not good, and buy and sell is hard. I know some do a little wheeling and dealing. I have also heard of backup mowers; but after 2-3 that gets to overkill fast.

ALLIS CHALMERS 716H
SIMPLICITY Pacer 1334
Go to Top of Page

Cvans

USA
4406 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  14:42:17  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mike I have two tractors converted to diesel. Yes I took two perfectly good tractors and butchered them up to make them what I wanted. So What. If you would like a Kohler in your tractor, do it. No body here is going to (seriously) care. They will rib you but I'm sure that truthfully they all hope it goes well and your happy with the results. Have fun! That's what it's about.
If you think your Odd, I happen to Like Briggs, Kohlers, and even a few Tecumseh's. It don't get any worse than that.

East Central South Dakota

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

ATF

USA
1892 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  18:21:55  Show Profile  Visit ATF's Homepage Send ATF a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cvans

Mike I have two tractors converted to diesel. Yes I took two perfectly good tractors and butchered them up to make them what I wanted. So What. If you would like a Kohler in your tractor, do it. No body here is going to (seriously) care. They will rib you but I'm sure that truthfully they all hope it goes well and your happy with the results. Have fun! That's what it's about.
If you think your Odd, I happen to Like Briggs, Kohlers, and even a few Tecumseh's. It don't get any worse than that.

Thanks guys, I'm going to think on this one, and BTW there is no such thing as overkill when it comes o tractors, you should have as many as you want of can have. I don't use every tractor, but I drive every tractor and enjoy it, I hope to have more than 50, so your statement about overkill is premature. Look how many cars Reggie Jackson, Jay Leno, and Dave Letterman have. I'm not jealous of them, I encourage them

Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  19:58:28  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Mike, you know I do a lot of "fitting out" tractors to suit me. Doesn't matter what you do to them, long as YOU like it. Paint color, engine choice....it's all up to you.
Gray, as to owning many tractors, many of the ones I have would have been melted down if I hadn't of brought them home. I don't look at it as an addition or affliction, but rather just a good clean (except for the greasy hands) hobby that also preserves a bit of tractor history, plus gives us much pleasure at the same time. Much more productive than drinking, chasing women, & getting into bar fights....just ask Mike! LOL I know a fellow named Bob Simmons in western Ky that has 163 garden tractors. He has them on heavy duty wall shelves on crates. He uses a fork lift to get them up & down for shows & such. It's nothing to do with practicality, just pure pleasure.

Daniel in Ky -- So much to do, so little time!

Go to Top of Page

B10Dave

Canada
1951 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  21:45:28  Show Profile Send B10Dave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Daniel. You don't happen to have any pictures from the 163 tractor collection do you? It would be nice to take a pictorial tour of his storage building. Dave.

Money can't buy you happiness.
It can however buy you a beer.
And that is close enough.

Go to Top of Page

ATF

USA
1892 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  22:13:34  Show Profile  Visit ATF's Homepage Send ATF a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by olcowhand

Well Mike, you know I do a lot of "fitting out" tractors to suit me. Doesn't matter what you do to them, long as YOU like it. Paint color, engine choice....it's all up to you.
Gray, as to owning many tractors, many of the ones I have would have been melted down if I hadn't of brought them home. I don't look at it as an addition or affliction, but rather just a good clean (except for the greasy hands) hobby that also preserves a bit of tractor history, plus gives us much pleasure at the same time. Much more productive than drinking, chasing women, & getting into bar fights....just ask Mike! LOL I know a fellow named Bob Simmons in western Ky that has 163 garden tractors. He has them on heavy duty wall shelves on crates. He uses a fork lift to get them up & down for shows & such. It's nothing to do with practicality, just pure pleasure.

Yep I can attest to that. I've been more than a little ill tempered in the past, I believe it's starting to ease up, a lot due to the therapy of working on tractors. Quitting drinking wasn't hard, living around people sober was. I think Daniel more than anyone, knows I fought the dark side in the past, doing much better now.
I'm going to take my time and give this some thought before doing anything. I have this feeling inside, I'm going to come across something else that will help in my decision, BTW, the Simplicity 7016 now sports AGS all the way around

Edited by - ATF on 09/08/2010 22:16:42
Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2010 :  08:28:32  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dave, not had the pleasure to visit Bob & his HUGE herd, but I am planning a visit this Fall with him. Rest assured I will take bajillions of pics!
Mike, yes you have come a long way & hoping it continues. Tractors ARE great therapy!

Daniel in Ky -- So much to do, so little time!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) © Michael's Tractors 2006-2019 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.1 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1
end of topic