Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) Active Users: 21560 / Visits Today: 831
Highest Active Users: 21560
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors)
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Other Tractors, Attachments and other projects
 Other Garden Tractors
 Bolens 1556
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

BRAD1975

Canada
1562 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2010 :  20:08:22  Show Profile  Visit BRAD1975's Homepage Send BRAD1975 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got the bug again

some of you may know I have always liked Bolens tractors

I found a decent 1556 hydrostatic for $300 and am picking it up tomorrow..does not run but the guy says its just from sitting...hopefully he is not a rip off guy because its a heck of a drive

this will be my first Bolens Hydro..all my previous ones were just gear drive...hopefully I dont get too attached to it ..my plan is to repair and flip it

Edited by - BRAD1975 on 09/01/2010 23:23:20

ATF

USA
1892 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2010 :  20:17:44  Show Profile  Visit ATF's Homepage Send ATF a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know how you can do it, I've sold a few, but it hurts every time. I never bought one really intending to flip. Good Luck

Go to Top of Page

larry8200

USA
3166 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2010 :  20:45:30  Show Profile  Visit larry8200's Homepage Send larry8200 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bolens made some great GT's hope to see some pics.

Go to Top of Page

ATF

USA
1892 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2010 :  21:19:32  Show Profile  Visit ATF's Homepage Send ATF a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They really did. They had shaft drive decks way back when, hardly anyone does shaft drive decks till you get to 20 hp or larger. I like the 1886, The QT's, and the Eliminators. I've got 2 Bolens QT17's I'm repowering with M18 Magnums. Supposedly a friend is buying them, if his wife lets him, we'll see.

Go to Top of Page

larry8200

USA
3166 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2010 :  21:52:48  Show Profile  Visit larry8200's Homepage Send larry8200 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ATF

They really did. They had shaft drive decks way back when, hardly anyone does shaft drive decks till you get to 20 hp or larger. I like the 1886, The QT's, and the Eliminators. I've got 2 Bolens QT17's I'm repowering with M18 Magnums. Supposedly a friend is buying them, if his wife lets him, we'll see.

They had shaft drive decks, but the decks internal belt was a bit of a..... And puttiing the deck on and taking it off is a bit of a....
And then there's the kohler...

Go to Top of Page

B-16_IC

USA
2823 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2010 :  13:01:17  Show Profile  Visit B-16_IC's Homepage Send B-16_IC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had a QT-17 that I used one season and then sold the next year. I found myself scared of that two hole toilet under the hood. It was a series two, but still not as good of engine as the single cylinders or the later Magnums. I will say, that thing was a tank! Very heavy, I know, I had to push it a little too often.

Life is all about paying. Pay attention, or pay the consequences, the choice is yours. Rich
Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2010 :  16:04:13  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've owned Sears, Wheel Horse, Ford, Massey, Bush Hog, Kubota, Case, MTD, John Deere, Allis Chalmers, Cub Cadet, David Bradley, Huffy, Snapper and more, but never seen a Bolens around here for sale! Owner's must wanna keep them for life!

Daniel in Ky -- So much to do, so little time!

Go to Top of Page

BRAD1975

Canada
1562 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2010 :  20:00:59  Show Profile  Visit BRAD1975's Homepage Send BRAD1975 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ive never had a QT...all my Bolens have been the 69 70 and 71 old style with the shaft drive ...I agree withe pain for belt change but I use gates power rated and never have to change them twice..the reason they are a pain change is because of the automotive style clutch plates...but thats a great system and well worth the extra work it causes

Im curious now about this one..it doesnt seem to have clutches ...it has an Eaton 10 rear with a treadle pedal

Its still on the trailer ...Ill post pics tomorrow

it came with a crapload of surprise spare parts...the guy showed me a box and I thought great....then I noticed he also meant the pile of boxes that the first box was sitting on ....plus he threw in a good spare seat for free
Go to Top of Page

BRAD1975

Canada
1562 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2010 :  20:02:33  Show Profile  Visit BRAD1975's Homepage Send BRAD1975 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by olcowhand

I've owned Sears, Wheel Horse, Ford, Massey, Bush Hog, Kubota, Case, MTD, John Deere, Allis Chalmers, Cub Cadet, David Bradley, Huffy, Snapper and more, but never seen a Bolens around here for sale! Owner's must wanna keep them for life!

Bolens seems popular up here and in the northern states...I guess because they were made in wisconsin
Go to Top of Page

ATF

USA
1892 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2010 :  20:17:19  Show Profile  Visit ATF's Homepage Send ATF a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let me know if you need manuals, I've got a bunch on attachments and quite a few on tractors. The QT used the same rear end and foot treadle gas pedal

Go to Top of Page

Cvans

USA
4406 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2010 :  22:07:55  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The foot operated hydro is always a plus in my book. I've had 2 Bolens tractors here and they both were based on that format. On the negative side. I have not seen a Bolens deck that can cut anywhere near as nice as the Simplicity decks do. I am very seriously considering remodeling a Simplicity deck for my Bolens GT2000. Just to prove this point to myself I mowed last week with the Simplicity 7117 and sure enough the wife comments on how nice the yard looks again. She has no Idea what I mow with but if I mow with the Bolens I never hear a compliment so it isn't just me. Bolens does make some mean tractors though.
Chris

East Central South Dakota

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

BRAD1975

Canada
1562 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2010 :  22:17:44  Show Profile  Visit BRAD1975's Homepage Send BRAD1975 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ATF

Let me know if you need manuals, I've got a bunch on attachments and quite a few on tractors. The QT used the same rear end and foot treadle gas pedal

sweet ..Thanks

I'm seriously hoping the hydraulics are good...the guy says the previous owner said they were (the guy I bought it from never used it )...I notice it has hydraulic lift too...I really don't mind fixing engines but have no want at all to start tearing apart hydrostatic stuff

on the plus side this guy admitted to me he knows absolutely nothing about fixing stuff and always had to pay to get things repaired so Im hoping this one is not real bad...it does have compression and no hole blasted out the side of the block (its a tecumseh 15hp)..it looks rough but still has the original decals

He had two 1556 for sale...He trying to make room to park his brand new husquarvarna

Edited by - BRAD1975 on 08/21/2010 22:19:55
Go to Top of Page

tractorjoe

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2010 :  22:33:19  Show Profile Send tractorjoe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had an 850 to start off with.
As part of the deal of me getting the 7120 I had to get rid of it.
The guy who bought it said that it was actually a 600?
I dont know.

seemed like a decently well built piece of machine
Carb leaked though.
decent set of attachment options.

- Joe

Go to Top of Page

BRAD1975

Canada
1562 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2010 :  21:06:05  Show Profile  Visit BRAD1975's Homepage Send BRAD1975 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
my other ones had just a few attachments...the G12 had a deck only...and the one I used the most had a snowplow and a snowblower...I wrecked the gearbox on the blower the second time I used it (caught the pressure treated wood separating the driveway from the lawn)...i think it was a 1254 model..basically I used for plowing the yard for like ten years

This 1556 came with just a deck...If I keep it I plan on finding a tiller but my back really limits my tractor use ...which is why I sold the other ones and bought a truck plow

I been tinkering with it already...the deck gearbox feels really nice and smooth with barely any wear but one spindle will need new bearings...the engine runs without smoke but has a definite knock so I will be tearing it down to see why...it feels and sounds like rod wear..it moves forward and reverse so thats a good sign and the hydro lift seems to work well too but there was no weight on it when I tested

I looked through the parts and found two spare hydraulic cylinders...two valve bodies..spare brakes..what appears to be a complete spare hh150 engine but I didnt see a piston and there is extra heads (these are overhead valve engines)

here is some pics..

Go to Top of Page

ATF

USA
1892 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2010 :  23:07:39  Show Profile  Visit ATF's Homepage Send ATF a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Too bad you weren't closer, I just sold a HH016 overhead valve, new carb, with a complete rebuild for 150.00

Go to Top of Page

Cvans

USA
4406 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2010 :  09:32:59  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you get that thing running it will be a beast. I bought my Son inlaw (sp?) one of those at a garage sale when we were visiting them. He thinks the world of it. He uses it to push, pull and drag just about anything around his property. It doesn't look pretty but it sure does a nice job for him.
Chris

East Central South Dakota

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) © Michael's Tractors 2006-2019 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1
end of topic