Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) Active Users: 8046 / Visits Today: 3949
Highest Active Users: 8046
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors)
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Other Tractors, Attachments and other projects
 Other Garden Tractors
 need help on Briggs 20hp
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

skunkhome

USA
12824 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2009 :  13:39:53  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My brother (in North Louisisna)called me having trouble with his Crapsman lawn tractor with a 20hp Briggs engine (YBSXS 7242VF 274844). He said that initally he would turn the key and the solenoid would it click but the starter did nothing. He jumped across the solenoid and the starter would engage the flywheel but would turn it just a little bit or not at all. He condemned the starter and went out and purchased a new one for $139. with no change in the situation. Per my advise he tested the solenoid to see if power was making it through and found that there was no voltage coming through it when the key was turned even though it was clicking. He has t ried jumping off his big tractor and a starter/charger but the starter will not turn the engine unless the plugs are removed. Isn't the engine equipped with a compression release? If so is it possible that it is defective?

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin

biggie_rat

USA
1235 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2009 :  15:21:55  Show Profile  Visit biggie_rat's Homepage Send biggie_rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Check the oil level to see if the carb float has stayed open and let the engine block (and cylinders) fill up with gas, hydro-locking the pistons. Of course it that was the problem, oily gas should should shoot out of the spark plug holes when cranked over with the plugs out.
???????????

B.R.
Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12824 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2009 :  20:25:56  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by biggie_rat

Check the oil level to see if the carb float has stayed open and let the engine block (and cylinders) fill up with gas, hydro-locking the pistons. Of course it that was the problem, oily gas should should shoot out of the spark plug holes when cranked over with the plugs out.
???????????

B.R.

Yeah, we explored the possibility of him doing something like over filling the crankcase and getting oil into the cylinders but that was not the problem.

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2009 :  22:20:49  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is he jumping from car/truck directly to starter's terminal? If he is & it does the same slow/no turning even with new starter, then it is likely there's a problem inside the engine, but I am not up to snuff on the newer engines. He could go to forum at perr.com & likely get answers needed. Many of the guys there have intimate knowledge of modern engines & operate repair shops. Here's a link:
http://www.perr.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=14&sid=adde84308ac3f530979afb10ca1ecf74

Due to spammers, you must register to post.

Daniel in Ky -- So much to do, so little time!

Edited by - olcowhand on 10/11/2009 22:21:52
Go to Top of Page

biggie_rat

USA
1235 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2009 :  07:33:52  Show Profile  Visit biggie_rat's Homepage Send biggie_rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A light bulb just clicked on when Daniel mentioned the newer engines. If it is an overhead valve (OHV), I have seen the rocker arm adjuster back out, or maybe bend a push rod (some are only about 1/8" diameter), and the rocker arm will fall off to one side. If it were an exhaust rocker arm it wouldn't allow the compression to go anywhere, thus causing the engine to be hard to turn over.
Taking off the valve cover will at least turn off the light bulb.

B.R.

Edited by - biggie_rat on 10/12/2009 07:35:57
Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12824 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2009 :  08:20:06  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My brother also looked under the valve cover and he said it appeared to be in order when he turned over the engine.

Phil

Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12824 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2009 :  08:25:13  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe he is going to take it to a shop and get an estimate. He said of it is more than $200 to fixit will go to the dumpster. Seems the front spindles and bushings are shot. They don't call them crapsman fer nottin.

Phil

Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

JD2030

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2009 :  22:46:58  Show Profile  Visit JD2030's Homepage Send JD2030 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like he needs to adjust the valves. It seems the newer engines have this problem with the valves comeing out of adjustment causing the engine to turn over hard. Sorry I can't help with clearances.
Go to Top of Page

frog19

79 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2009 :  23:02:45  Show Profile Send frog19 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The valves need adjusted. I have a 17 HP that needs adjusted one or two times a year. I found out how to adjust them at the Briggs site.
Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12824 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2009 :  12:09:16  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Update: turns out I had him check out the solenoid and it was defective and the battery was also marginal. New solenoid solved the problem and new battery had it spinning like new. I looked at it Xmas eve and I don't think the thing will make it through another season with out a new front axle and wheels. What junk!

Phil

Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2009 :  16:05:22  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How old is this Crapsman?

Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12824 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2009 :  22:44:39  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by olcowhand

10-12 years

Phil

Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2010 :  09:50:38  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skunkhome

quote:
Originally posted by olcowhand

10-12 years

Done good to last that long really.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) © Michael's Tractors 2006-2019 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1
end of topic