Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) Active Users: 8548 / Visits Today: 4451
Highest Active Users: 8548
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors)
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Other Tractors, Attachments and other projects
 Other Garden Tractors
 Got a Kubota too Phil!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2009 :  12:46:20  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just a couple weeks ago, I bought a Cub Cadet 1606 for just $100. Nice tractor too, just had sat for a few years. Got her runnign like new. Motor was new short block just before the owner passed & tractor sat since. Anyway, just $90 invested for belts and fuel cap, and took battery out of Allis as Allis needs a higher amp battery anyway.
Well, a fella 30 miles saw my post on a group about it & wanted to trade. I've been to his place before & seen/heard this Kubota, so I knew it was a good unit. It's a G4200, 12HP with 40" deck, foot pedal hydro. He knew the Kubota was worth more, but likes stick & Cubs. Main thing that caught his eye was the 50" cut of the Cub.
Well, I shot to his place last evening & did the swap. Been mowing with her today, and man does she run sweet! My front axle pivot seems tight with no cracks, so I'm a step ahead of you Phil, but 2HP down. Gotta say this was about the best trade I've ever made! I'll take some pics in a few...cooling myself down right now...HOT out!

Daniel in Ky -- So much to do, so little time!

Edited by - olcowhand on 06/20/2009 13:32:12

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2009 :  12:52:30  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2009 :  12:54:29  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's the Cub I traded to Kubota. A good tractor,with Brinly lift, but no match to the diesel dollar wise.

Go to Top of Page

ptmmatssc

271 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2009 :  17:17:11  Show Profile  Visit ptmmatssc's Homepage Send ptmmatssc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd be happy to have either for what you have invested . you got a good deal both times .

Go to Top of Page

Roy

USA
1366 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2009 :  19:47:34  Show Profile  Visit Roy's Homepage Send Roy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Daniel,

A POS Cub Cadette for a diesel Kubota. You did great on that trade!!!!

Roy
Go to Top of Page

B112

USA
5227 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2009 :  20:10:18  Show Profile  Visit B112's Homepage Send B112 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Definitely nice deal!

BTW: My neighbor has a bigger Cub Cadette with a backhoe and loader. Both of these attachments have more capacity than the Kubota I was using last summer. The only thing is he bought it with low hours and has had at least two or three larger problems with the tractor (engine, transmission, engine mounts). Fortunately he's handy. Besides that, it's a nice machine and better than nothing. I think he's got more than $22K into it.

Michael
Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2009 :  20:27:47  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Roy

Daniel,

A POS Cub Cadette for a diesel Kubota. You did great on that trade!!!!

But Roy, that Cub had a Briggs 16 in it!

Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12824 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2009 :  23:56:27  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, that one definately looks well kept.

Well, Dan now that you have one you can tell me why I can't get the pivot out of the axle.

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin

Edited by - skunkhome on 06/19/2009 23:59:19
Go to Top of Page

Leroy

USA
413 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2009 :  05:53:29  Show Profile  Visit Leroy's Homepage Send Leroy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skunkhome

Well, Dan now that you have one you can tell me why I can't get the pivot out of the axle.

I'm thinking you haven't fixed that one yet.
Since it is not an obviously easy fix, have you considered a 3/8 copper 90° street elbow bearing.
I don't know if you would have to capture the pivot rod totally.

Probably not because it use is primarily rolling side to side 10 - 15°?

Getting a thickness measurement of the gap available with the pivot rod lifted will determine how much copper will have to be removed from the 90° street elbow in order to fit. I'm thinking there is less gap than a split piece of 3/8 copper fitting.

Splitting the elbow to cradle the pivot and splay the street side out for drilling and taping into the pivot frame.

It could be fancier to look like an eclipse of the sun. Bending copper tangs over the edges of both sides. But who's looking down there anyway?

If you try this then add some molybdenum grease to er. I'de think you could forget about this problem for awhile.

Leroy
Go to Top of Page

simplelife

USA
1385 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2009 :  07:54:55  Show Profile  Visit simplelife's Homepage Send simplelife a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Definitely a nice looking "bota"! Is that a custom "cow catcher" on the front? Anxious to hear your impressions after using it for awhile, such as fuel usage, power, and ride comfort. Looks like a tank built to do some tough work.

With the big bumper and the bulldog on top, I can only assume the p.o. was either a trucker or wannabe trucker.

Edited by - simplelife on 06/20/2009 07:56:50
Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2009 :  08:39:22  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Po is retired Navy welder. I think he said he did some trucking after retiring from the Navy. Fond of Mack trucks I imagine.
The front bumper will get a trim. It's so wide it is way outside the turning radius and prevents snugging up to areas while mowing. Hoping to just notch it & bend backwards.

Edited by - olcowhand on 06/20/2009 08:46:48
Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12824 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2009 :  15:37:34  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Leroy

quote:
Originally posted by skunkhome

I'm thinking you haven't fixed that one yet.
Since it is not an obviously easy fix, have you considered a 3/8 copper 90° street elbow bearing.
I don't know if you would have to capture the pivot rod totally.

Probably not because it use is primarily rolling side to side 10 - 15°?

Getting a thickness measurement of the gap available with the pivot rod lifted will determine how much copper will have to be removed from the 90° street elbow in order to fit. I'm thinking there is less gap than a split piece of 3/8 copper fitting.

Splitting the elbow to cradle the pivot and splay the street side out for drilling and taping into the pivot frame.

It could be fancier to look like an eclipse of the sun. Bending copper tangs over the edges of both sides. But who's looking down there anyway?

If you try this then add some molybdenum grease to er. I'de think you could forget about this problem for awhile.

Leroy

Wow, Leroy! I don't follow you at all. I am not sure how a 3/8" street elbow could help me get the axle assembly out of my Kubota when the pivot pin (AKA Axle support) that is stuck is approx 1.5" in diameter. somehow I must not be seeing the picture you are trying to paint.

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2009 :  17:02:23  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Leroy, his bearing is intact & working. It's his pin that won't come out, which he needs to remove in order to have the axle beam to be welded where it is cracked/busted.

Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12824 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2009 :  20:47:51  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know about the G4200 but the 3 cyl D600 engine in the G5200 is quite frugal yet powerful beyond what I would expect from a 14hp engine.

Phil

Benjamin Franklin

Edited by - skunkhome on 06/20/2009 20:49:55
Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2009 :  21:28:54  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, they are strong. This 2 cylinder 12hp could easily run a 48" deck. At an idle this 2 cylinder sounds like it has a dead miss. Just loosen one of your injectors at an idle Phil, and you will see what mine sounds like. At full rpm's though, mine sounds very nice. Has a better exhaust note than either my Massey or JD diesel.

Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12824 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2009 :  00:15:38  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do not know if the Z430 engine in G4200 tends to run hot but it is reportedly a common problem with the G5200's. You have to keep the radiator screen clean and run a 50/50 mixture of antifreeze in the tractor. My PO stated that he had problems with it tending to overheat but but said it never blew coolant/steam out through the warning whistle. I have not experienced such.

Phil

Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) © Michael's Tractors 2006-2019 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1
end of topic