Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) Active Users: 3029 / Visits Today: 3029
Highest Active Users: 3029
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors)
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Other Tractors, Attachments and other projects
 Other Garden Tractors
 Junky Craftsman rRepair
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kma4444

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2009 :  19:21:02  Show Profile  Visit kma4444's Homepage Send kma4444 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey guys, sorry for the incomplete set of pics on this, I didn't think it was going to be so comprehensive until I was way into it.

Here's a link tot he photobucket album http://s526.photobucket.com/albums/cc341/kma4444/Craftsman%20mower/?start=0

And a teaser picture.

Anyway, it was a free thing from the father in law. Looked OK, just an old Craftsman with a non-running 15.5 Kohler. The deck was there but not installed. He thought it needed a valve job as it had a case of the backfires. I checked it out and after getting over looking at the valves moving oddly, internal automatic compression release, it bacame obvious it had a bad coil. I ordered it and a set of blades.

The steering on this was unbelievable, a plastic housing that the pinion ran in was completely worn out and there was about 1/2 a revolution before the wheel affected the tires at all. I just wanted to take that assembly out and repair it. Turns out, you pretty much have to disassemble the tractor to get it out so that was part of my reason for gutting it. The other was the frame was cracking in many places around the front axle. In the end, it came most of the way apart.

As for the color, I had it left over from a pickup I used to have, the black is just some Nason enamel with flattener in it to knock off the shine a bit. I fixed the steering by making bushings for the pinion support and the rack shaft. The front of the frame I plated with some .090" 4130 steel I had, I wouldn't have used it except it was all I had that was close. The deck was rusty so I cut out and replaced some of it. One of the blade bearing housings had an ear broken off and a bolt broken in it. I welded back the ear and hucked it in the mill to get the bolt out. That went pretty well except for the broken tap right at the end.

This thing had so many broken, cracked and just plain old worn out pieces that it certainly wasn't worth the effort, but I had too much time in it already. I'm pretty much done except for a seat and finishing the dash which, like much of the thing, was completely rusted. I tied up about 7 days pretty straight getting it this far.

Again sorry for the lack of pics, I feel sorta guilty as I have enjoyed other's posts on here. I'll do better if I ever take Ol' Blue down.

Kevin

Http://mallenalley.com

skunkhome

USA
12824 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2009 :  22:17:41  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kma4444

Again sorry for the lack of pics, I feel sorta guilty as I have enjoyed other's posts on here. I'll do better if I ever take Ol' Blue down.

That is quite alright... one picture of a Crapsman is plenty. Just kidding. Let us know how your final product turns out.

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

B112

USA
5227 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2009 :  06:56:27  Show Profile  Visit B112's Homepage Send B112 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looking Good there Kevin. I like seeing all machines getting maintained and saving us all work. Did you spray that paint on or brush it?

Michael
Go to Top of Page

kma4444

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2009 :  09:37:55  Show Profile  Visit kma4444's Homepage Send kma4444 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, the thing isn't much of a tractor, fair enough to call it a riding mower. It's sprayed on, and the yellow is basecoat clearcoat, not because that's what I wanted to do, it's just what I had on hand.
Here's a pic of it ,ostly done for those who don't want to go around looking for pics of a sad little riding mower.

Kevin

Go to Top of Page

SCUMMY

Australia
106 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2009 :  12:57:23  Show Profile  Send SCUMMY an AOL message  Send SCUMMY an ICQ Message Send SCUMMY a Private Message  Reply with Quote
gday
nar that looks ok mine might look as clean as that 1 day
so long as u happy with it thats all that matters
cheers

Everything Is On hold All My Stuff Is Packed In a 40ft Hc Im Not In The Farm House No More? My Marriage Is Over Stuff Her

Simplicity 7013S Baron (Runs & Cuts)
Simplicity 2110 (Motor in 7013S No Deck)
Simplicity 4211 (No Motor No Deck)
Simplicity 701? (Wont Start Got Deck)
Stiga Park 2000E (Deck Needs Work)

1 Day 1/2 Made Front 42" Grader Blade
Made Mid Mount Grader Blade
WTB Brinly Sleeve Hitch Cultivator
Go to Top of Page

Roy

USA
1366 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2009 :  17:23:45  Show Profile  Visit Roy's Homepage Send Roy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks great.

Wish I could paint that good.

Roy
Go to Top of Page

kma4444

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2009 :  07:20:38  Show Profile  Visit kma4444's Homepage Send kma4444 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks all. I threw a seat on it and mowed my field and backyard yesterday, took a couple breaks for some small adjustments but it worked well. The steering still is awful, but it's a lot better than it was. Maybe at the end of the year, I'll pull the top half of it apart to get the steering system back out and fix it one more time. I think I have a handle on what will make it as good as possible now.

The Kohler ran great and it was a lot better than the 36"? cut old Snapper I've been using for the last 6 years.

Hey Roy, on the paint thing, the only bad thing I've found about being reasonably good at it is, you have to do it. If I was awful at it, I'd have to find someone else to do it for me, then I wouldn't have to. And the pics of course don't show the flaws, it's not too bad, just a sag on the right side of the hood and some natural inclusions from my spray booth, bugs. It seems the bugs really are attracted to yellow in the spring. I will have to wetsand and buff it out because it will aggrivate me every time I walk up to it. I can't believe I'm actually gonna buff on a lawnmower but there ya go.

Kevin

Go to Top of Page

B-16_IC

USA
2823 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2009 :  12:34:07  Show Profile  Visit B-16_IC's Homepage Send B-16_IC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the color! Almost makes a Crapsman attractive! The steering on those things is horrendous, if you get it working good it is a testimony to your skills. They do make a decent mower when they work proper, they don't respond well to abuse though as many people find out.

Life is all about paying. Pay attention, or pay the consequences, the choice is yours. Rich
Go to Top of Page

terdybukrat

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2009 :  16:47:27  Show Profile  Visit terdybukrat's Homepage Send terdybukrat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kevin, hows that pretty "Carolina blue" Allis with the loader coming along?

Terry in NC

If at first you don't succeed...grab a bigger hammer!
Go to Top of Page

andrewk

USA
180 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2009 :  23:30:44  Show Profile  Visit andrewk's Homepage  Send andrewk an AOL message Send andrewk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice paint job! One trick I use while spray painting outdoors is paint a piece of scrap about 5 minutes before you paint the work- Most, if not all the bugs will go to the scrap!

Andrew

You know the nearer your destination, the more you're slip slidin' away...

--Andy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) © Michael's Tractors 2006-2019 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1
end of topic