Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) Active Users: 398 / Visits Today: 398
Highest Active Users: 398
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors)
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Other Tractors, Attachments and other projects
 Other Garden Tractors
 Old Brown
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

biggie_rat

USA
1235 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2008 :  20:32:16  Show Profile  Visit biggie_rat's Homepage Send biggie_rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it is finally time to put "Old Brown" to sleep. I have 2 more just like him to take it's place. It says Craftsman, but it was made by AMF or Dynamark. Old Brown is called that, due to it's original color plus 30-40 years of surface rust. It mows great along our less than level road side in front of our house, maybe a 250' to however far I want to mow with it. Also, it mows good enough to mow the whole yard with. It was one of the first lawn mowers I bought to rebuild, (for myself, at the time). I got it at an auction for $40 about 25-30 years ago. About 15 years ago, I obtained a newer 12hp Briggs and junked the 8hp.
The new mower is exactly the same frame body, but it has a 7hp Tecumseh which runs, but who cares. I will put Old Brown's 12hp in it which will require me to extend the hood mount hinges and do everything like I did on O.B. It is a Craftsman too but in much cleaner condition, and the tires have stayed up since I got it about 6 years ago, waiting to be used. Also, it is red & white.
I will post a pic of the new 'Old Brown' when I get done with it. I don't know what I will call the new one ........ Probably, Old Brown.

B.R.

oldron

USA
2732 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2008 :  22:26:49  Show Profile Send oldron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rest in peace Old Brown.
Ron

'Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!'
Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12824 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2008 :  22:53:30  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
BR, do you plan on artificially aging "new" old Brown so that it will match its name? Maybe store a bag of road salt on it for a month or so.

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2008 :  09:47:21  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks a lot like a Dynamark Dad had many years ago. In fact, it was our first riding mower!

Daniel in Ky -- So much to do, so little time!

Go to Top of Page

biggie_rat

USA
1235 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2008 :  18:58:35  Show Profile  Visit biggie_rat's Homepage Send biggie_rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I finally got around to finishing the new 'Old Brown'. I decided the original red & white with the large CRAFTSMAN down the side of the hood had to go. So I painted it the only color I knew of. The paint job came out pretty well, but the tractor is kind of goofy looking with or without the orange.

Do you think I'll get mixed up and get on the wrong one?

Probaby will.

B.R.
Go to Top of Page

Roy

USA
1366 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2008 :  19:26:34  Show Profile  Visit Roy's Homepage Send Roy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ron,

Find it incredible that with all of your fine Simplicities you are wasting time and energy on an old Dynamark. A pig with lipstick is still a pig. Have you considered professional help??

BTW:
Old Brown looks much better.

Roy
Go to Top of Page

biggie_rat

USA
1235 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2008 :  19:47:53  Show Profile  Visit biggie_rat's Homepage Send biggie_rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Roy

Ron,

Find it incredible that with all of your fine Simplicities you are wasting time and energy on an old Dynamark. A pig with lipstick is still a pig. Have you considered professional help??

BTW:
Old Brown looks much better.

Well, usually Old Brown is the first mower I get out when I start to mow. It was so pitiful that it seemed people driving by looked at me and felt sorry. The only ones that didn't feel sorry was the teenager's, blowing by at 100 mph on their way home from school.
Even the yuppy mom's driving by with a cell phone in one hand, a water bottle or Starbucks in the other, (you can only guess what they used to steer with), smiled and waved their 'steerers' at me when they went by in their SUV's. They felt sorry for me too.

hmmmmmmmmm, maybe I better re-think the merits of Old Brown.

B.R.
Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2008 :  20:37:05  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote

quote:

They felt sorry for me too.

hmmmmmmmmm, maybe I better re-think the merits of Old Brown.

B.R.

Ok, now I see how you get to bring home all those tractors...people feel sorry for you driving old brown, so they call you & donate tractors to you! VERY interesting technique!

Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12824 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2008 :  01:16:26  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure what to think. "Pig with lipstick"???

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2008 :  09:13:23  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skunkhome

I'm not sure what to think. "Pig with lipstick"???

Which came first...the pig, or the lipstick?? Age old question!

Go to Top of Page

BRAD1975

Canada
1562 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2008 :  20:01:05  Show Profile  Visit BRAD1975's Homepage Send BRAD1975 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heres a pic of my Dynamark ugly P.O.S....I picked it up at the local landfill "store" for $70 and just had to fix some ignition wires to get it working...it runs alright but the deck is hell

Insert Image:

edit:sold it last week for $200(c$)

Edited by - BRAD1975 on 12/02/2008 18:23:02
Go to Top of Page

biggie_rat

USA
1235 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2008 :  21:02:53  Show Profile  Visit biggie_rat's Homepage Send biggie_rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since I had been given the go ahead to mow and mulch leaves this year instead of the yard vac way, the tractor I planned on using yesterday had an overly dead battery and I didn't have time to jack with it, this morning I thought, hey, I can try out the new, Old Brown and see if it was up to the job. Only a 36" deck but what the heck? I worked really well, as you can see. I had to hustle before the neighbor, across the road, got back home. Most of the leaves accidently ended up on the road and the wind was in the right direction. I got the job done and even used a manual labor tool call a "rake", getting the leaves away from the garage and into the wind I had to hurry the whole job, too, since the weather forecast predicted rain for late morning.

Also, the new Old Brown looked like an orange 1947 outer space mobile after the first paint job, so I broke the paint scheme up with a little dark silver, Hammered Metal Rustoleum, with no certain pattern, just something to bring it up to 1964 outer space mobile standards. It is npt gonna win any purdy prizes, but I did a good job painting it. Plus the new Old Brown got the job done.

I will post a picture of a "rake", in case you are not familiar with it either.
I remember standing behind 2 old guys at an auction, once, and one told the other "Never buy anything with a handle on it". After using this "rake" thingy, I will have to agree. But unlike a 2 cycle engine, it starts every time. The little woman must have bought it at a yard sale or something. She needs to try it out next time.

B.R.

Edited by - biggie_rat on 11/12/2008 09:16:45
Go to Top of Page

Roy

USA
1366 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2008 :  21:41:21  Show Profile  Visit Roy's Homepage Send Roy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"I remember standing behind 2 old guys at an auction, once, and one told the other "Never buy anything with a handle on it". After using this "rake" thingy, I will have to agree. But unlike a 2 cycle engine, it starts every time. The little woman must have bought it at a yard sale or something. She needs to try it out next time."

Ron,
Happy to see you recognize the error of your ways. Next time you need to have the "little woman" use her tool instead of you. Tools with handles on them are bad for us.

Oh, BTW, you may have more trouble starting the "little woman" than any of your two cycles. At least they stop making noise when you turn them off.

Roy
Go to Top of Page

mikefox

USA
382 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2008 :  19:57:52  Show Profile Send mikefox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Old Brown"...

When I'm Gone

When I come to the end of my journey,
And I travel my last weary mile,
Just forget if you can, that I ever frowned,
And remember only the smile,

Forget unkind words I have spoken,
Remember some good I have done,
Forget that I ever had heartache,
And remember I've had loads of fun.

Forget that I've stumbled and blundered,
And sometime fell by the way,
Remember I have fought some hard battles,
And won, ere the close of the day.

Then forget to grieve for my going,
I would not have you sad for a day,
But in summer just gather some flowers,
And remember the place where I lay.

And come in the shade of the evening,
When the sun paints the sky in the West,
Stand for a few moments beside me,
And remember only my best.

50 years of dissolute living has left me but a vestige of my handsome youth.
\\\\|////
( @ @ )
Oo-(_)-oO

Edited by - mikefox on 12/03/2008 05:51:55
Go to Top of Page

biggie_rat

USA
1235 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2008 :  20:07:23  Show Profile  Visit biggie_rat's Homepage Send biggie_rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WOW !

B.R.
Go to Top of Page

ZippoVarga

USA
139 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2008 :  00:05:14  Show Profile  Visit ZippoVarga's Homepage  Send ZippoVarga an AOL message  Send ZippoVarga a Yahoo! Message Send ZippoVarga a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was privey to seeing Old Brown and New Old Brown on a couple occasions and I must say that the New Old Brown certainly looks to be more capable than that sad Old Brown. But it served you well Ron! As for the thing called a "rake"...how do those work? Being a youngster, I'm not familiar with these old world tools. hehehee

Simply the best tractors ever made.Zip~
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) © Michael's Tractors 2006-2019 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1
end of topic