Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) Active Users: 110 / Visits Today: 110
Highest Active Users: 110
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors)
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Other Tractors, Attachments and other projects
 Other Garden Tractors
 Getting delivered tomorrow-
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

andrewk

USA
180 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2010 :  20:21:18  Show Profile  Visit andrewk's Homepage  Send andrewk an AOL message Send andrewk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi guys-

My MF8 Massey Ferguson tractor is getting delivered to my house (via my parents) tomorrow. I've had this tractor about 6 years, and it was my Grandfather's. The plan was always to fix it up and give it back to him, but he passed away about two years ago. Not having a yard meant the Massey stayed with the folks until I had a yard and the facilities to use it.

That time has finally come! I tore it apart about 5 years ago, and found that the 8hp Tecumseh needed a rebuild. I bought the parts, bored the block, and checked everything over when I worked for Al Eden. The short block has been sitting oiled up for all this time. I'll probably take the short block back down and get it good and clean, but it's not too far from running.

I've got a deck for it, which has seized up bearings, but is intact and in decent shape. I've also got a front blade, and a Simplicity/AC rear blade that I am going to make work on it.

Pictures to follow, of course. It's been a long time coming, and I can't wait to get the thing fired up!

Andrew

You know the nearer your destination, the more you're slip slidin' away...

--Andy

B112

USA
5227 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2010 :  20:52:35  Show Profile  Visit B112's Homepage Send B112 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm glad the last line said pictures to come! We'll be waiting

Michael
Go to Top of Page

oldron

USA
2732 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2010 :  21:57:16  Show Profile Send oldron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looking forward to seeing the MF8 Andrew!
Ron

'Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!'
Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12824 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2010 :  22:17:40  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
look forward to seeing your prize

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2010 :  22:17:43  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by oldron

Looking forward to seeing the MF8 Andrew!
Ron

Me too!

Daniel in Ky -- So much to do, so little time!

Go to Top of Page

andrewk

USA
180 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2010 :  12:30:12  Show Profile  Visit andrewk's Homepage  Send andrewk an AOL message Send andrewk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, she's here. Mostly as I remember it, but a good once over in good light reveals some more things that I didn't know about. All is fixable though, I think. Here are some pictures of the "haul."

This one isn't so much the tractor as it is my garage. Previous to moving here, all the work I did was either at work in the shop, or in someone else's garage. While it isn't the nicest, it's great to have my own space to work.

Front.

Probably going to need some paint. Daniel, are you able to make these decals?

I like the layout of the controls.

Nothing fancy here! Everything you need, nothing you don't.

Sporting the 3-speed transmission- the gear box seems nice and tight.

I spent 20 minutes with an orbital buffer and some kit scratch out, and this was the result. It's still got some shine, but it's tough.

This is the deck- gear drive, and she's locked up. I've had the covers off the boxes, and the gears seem ok, so hopefully I'm just dealing with stuck bearings.

Anybody know how to decode (roughly) the serial numbers on this stuff? I've been told it's circa 1967 (or so) but wouldn't mind finding out when it was made. My Grandpa bought it in 1979, with a rebuilt (not original) engine.

The only piece of SIM/AC equipment I own! Rear blade for the large frame, it's going to be mounted to the back of the MF8, for snow removal.

This is the other blade. After my Grandpa passed, it was found in his basement. To our knowledge, the only other tractor he ever had (other than a Farmall H) was the Simplicity Regent he bought to replace this MF8. No tags, no sub-frame. It looks like it could fit the front of the MF8- But it wouldn't surprise me if it was to some totally different tractor. My Grandpa had a way of collecting things he wanted to use. Sounds like most of us, eh?

Thanks for looking- I'll give some updates as it progresses!

Andrew

You know the nearer your destination, the more you're slip slidin' away...

--Andy
Go to Top of Page

acb10_64

USA
801 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2010 :  13:01:25  Show Profile  Visit acb10_64's Homepage Send acb10_64 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Andy that's a nice looking tractor! My friend has an MF 10, says he wants me to repaint the hood, so i guess i'll be looking for some decals for that. I like that rear blade too!

Wes

2 1964 Allis Chalmers B-10's

Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12824 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2010 :  14:22:04  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No mistaking a Massey.

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

BRAD1975

Canada
1562 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2010 :  23:08:43  Show Profile  Visit BRAD1975's Homepage Send BRAD1975 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
friend of mine had one like that..I hated it but at least yours has some history with it to make the resto worthwhile :)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) © Michael's Tractors 2006-2019 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1
end of topic