Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) Active Users: 5265 / Visits Today: 5068
Highest Active Users: 5265
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors)
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Other Tractors, Attachments and other projects
 Other Garden Tractors
 MF1650 restore for my Nephew
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2008 :  19:17:31  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Been working in spare time for a couple or 3 months on my other Massey 1650. My nephew called wondering if I had a heavy garden tractor to sell. Decided to let it go. He wanted it restored, so I said heck, why not. Not making hardly a single dollar, but getting my investment back. She's gonna be sweet looking when finished in the next couple weeks. Just painted the red Sunday. Still gotta make the decals, mount the grille onto hood, and a few little odds & ends. The engine has only 42hrs on a complete rebuild, including sleeving back to std. All new pto belts, pretty much everything has been gone through. Put new tires all way around. He's a good nephew, so I don't mind going the extra mile for him. I "may" come out making $100 or so for my efforts though. GREAT pay huh! Least he appreciates it. He offered more, but I'm not greedy and like I said, he's an ok guy. Many of my other nephews are say....well, I better not say!

Daniel in Ky -- So much to do, so little time!

Edited by - olcowhand on 04/29/2008 19:18:18

Roy

USA
1366 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2008 :  08:23:29  Show Profile  Visit Roy's Homepage Send Roy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Beautiful looking paint job.

I take it gray and red are the OEM colors?

Roy
Go to Top of Page

simplelife

USA
1385 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2008 :  09:48:05  Show Profile  Visit simplelife's Homepage Send simplelife a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Beautiful restoration so far! Love those Massey colors, having grown up on MH and MF farm tractors. Still have the old MF 65 utility that gets used almost daily. After seeing your pics, I need to get the 65 painted and dressed up again. What paint did you use, it looks like a perfect match.

Great work!

Edited by - simplelife on 04/30/2008 09:49:31
Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2008 :  10:49:26  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I get my Massey paint at the dealer, so it's true MF paint. This tractor started life as a red chassis also, but I like the flint metallic grey framework better. Gives more contrast. The older model garden tractors had the grey chassis.
Simplelife, if you'd like, I'll post the MF paint codes. Your tractor uses 3 colors. Flint metallic grey is the chassis/motor, silver mist is the rims and grille, with rouge red for the sheet metal.

Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2008 :  11:22:05  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Silver Mist- code #M1037
Flint Metallic Grey- code #M1025
Red/Rouge- code #M1041

Go to Top of Page

simplelife

USA
1385 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2008 :  13:14:05  Show Profile  Visit simplelife's Homepage Send simplelife a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks! I'd have to agree that the flint gray makes it a lot better looking and closer to it's big brothers.
Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2008 :  16:04:53  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now time to make the decals. I put new floor-board material on today after pics. I use skateboard self stick stuff. Just like what came on tractor. Just trim to fit & stick.

Edited by - olcowhand on 04/30/2008 16:06:31
Go to Top of Page

mikefox

USA
382 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2008 :  18:30:43  Show Profile Send mikefox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dan, you sure can blow the paint. I like your detailing.
I think you & yours are entitled to a five star dinner complements of your nephew.

50 years of dissolute living has left me but a vestige of my handsome youth.
\\\\|////
( @ @ )
Oo-(_)-oO
Go to Top of Page

B112

USA
5229 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2008 :  19:29:10  Show Profile  Visit B112's Homepage Send B112 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My my --- what a transformation! If it didn't look like an old style machine, someone would think she was a new machine!

Michael
Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2008 :  20:01:36  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the compliments guys...and yes, he oughta take us to dinner! And the compliment from Mikefox means a lot, cause man "you can blow da paint" too! I try the best I can whenever I do these tractors. It's so gratifying when you get them all done & they look real good. Even when they leave....maybe I'll keep it! Na, got enough, but will be hard to see her pull outta here!

Go to Top of Page

simplelife

USA
1385 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2008 :  21:49:30  Show Profile  Visit simplelife's Homepage Send simplelife a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All I can do is echo the above comments. I know that preparation makes 99% of the finish, but just curious what type of gun you use and do you use hardner or clearcoat?
Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2008 :  22:33:46  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use "Marhyde" "wet look" hardener. It's for acrylic enamel, but works great on std enamels also. I never use clearcoat and never do any color-sanding or buffing. I figure if they come out looking good, best not to mess with it. I'm using a Harbor Freight HVLP gun. Only $28 too! I got mine a couple years back and it cost me $50 then. Price actually came down! I've sprayed at least 3 garden tractors with it and 4 full size tractors & still sprays fine. Like all guns....ya gotta clean them thoroughly after each use. This one said to operate at pressure of 5 to 10psi, but that's not the ticket as it splatters at the low pressure. I run 25 to 35psi. Hardly any overspray at all! BUT it lays out a lot of paint fast, so you have to move fast! Here's a link to this gun.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=45001

Go to Top of Page

Roy

USA
1366 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2008 :  08:02:48  Show Profile  Visit Roy's Homepage Send Roy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"High volume, low pressure spray guns get better transfer efficiency and less overspray resulting in 40% material savings. Sprays light, medium, and heavy stains; varnishes, oil based paint and latex. Environmentally safe.

* 1 quart cup
* Air inlet: 1/4'' NPT
* 2 position nozzle adjusts spray pattern
* CFM: 9.5 @ 50 PSI
* PSI: 50-70"

Does a beautiful job but you must have a large compressor. 9.5 CFM is a lot of air.

Roy
Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2008 :  17:02:09  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Man how decals really set one off! Cut the decals & put them on today. Came out good except I got a couple a bit off center, but not bad enough to re-do. I'm happy with them!

Go to Top of Page

tractormike

10 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2008 :  18:58:52  Show Profile  Visit tractormike's Homepage Send tractormike a Private Message  Reply with Quote
VERY NICE JOB DAN!! They didn't look that nice new from the factory.
I wish you lived closer, I'd have you paint my tractors after I built them. I hope your nephew takes care of the massey, she sure is a good looker!!!!
That tractor should be just about indestructable and last him a good long time.

You can never have to much STUFF
Go to Top of Page

simplelife

USA
1385 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2008 :  22:33:29  Show Profile  Visit simplelife's Homepage Send simplelife a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great job Dan! I think I would put that in a couple of shows before I let her go. Guess there are no more words to describe it than outstanding!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) © Michael's Tractors 2006-2019 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1
end of topic