Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) Active Users: 1784 / Visits Today: 1784
Highest Active Users: 1784
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors)
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Other Tractors, Attachments and other projects
 Other Garden Tractors
 Ford 3000 with attachments
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

MorePower

49 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2013 :  20:55:42  Show Profile  Visit MorePower's Homepage Send MorePower a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey guys,
I know where there is a 1980 or so Ford 3000 tractor that has been sitting for a while. Has a large rototiller attachment (50-60"), york rake, and a few other pieces. Anyone have experience with them? From Tractor Data I see it was made in USA, has about 40 hp, and weighs around 3000 lbs. A lot heavier than my 9020s, but not too much larger. I don't need it for anything, but was wondering if there is an aftermarket following for them like our tractors? I like the looks of it, and even though I won't have time to work on it, I might be interested in acquiring it if the price is right for later use. Best regards. John.

B112

USA
5229 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2013 :  21:13:33  Show Profile  Visit B112's Homepage Send B112 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe after you can not move a tractor without a CDL, you find tractors get cheaper. The compact tractors hold value if a normal license can move the tractor. That's only my observation.

I was about to buy a bigger tractor, but the wife talked me out of it... I regret it to this day. Fullsize with loader for $2000.

Michael
Go to Top of Page

Cvans

USA
4406 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2013 :  23:07:55  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I believe after you can not move a tractor without a CDL

That must be a local ordinance. I've hauled tractors through a number of states on a trailer behind a Pickup or van with no problems. We see it done all the time around here.
Your Ford 3000 is at the upper range of the compact tractor category. Nice size though. Able to do a lot of work without breaking the bank and should hold it's value well if you can buy it right and maintain it. I have a Ford 850 and a Fordson Dexta. I wish I had known about the Dexta 20 years ago as it has become my all time favorite tractor. Is the 3000 gas or diesel?

East Central South Dakota

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

MorePower

49 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2013 :  06:27:36  Show Profile  Visit MorePower's Homepage Send MorePower a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Michael and Chris,
Thanks for the info. I don't know about it being diesel or gas just yet. They have close to the same hp and torque, and I might prefer gas for easier (to me) maintenance. I know it it is a stout piece by looking at the axle, but it stands about as high as the 9020, and maybe just a little longer. I'm interested in the tiller attachment, but it looks like cat. 1, probably too big for the Simplicity. I've seen some of these on CL in different conditions for between $2-6k, depending on loader or not. Like you guys I like American iron, and the looks of the 3000 are just about right - not as good looking as the 9020, but in the same ballpark. Here north of Boston, the real estate has gotten so expensive that all the small farms in town and about are gone, replaced by houses, so a farm tractor can be bought reasonably. I saw a very nice 4040 the other day, and if still for sale I might make an offer, but that would make three large-frame Simplicities (which is a great thing), but again I like the heavy-duty attachments this Ford might come with. I think I can trailer it without much trouble; the troopers here are more concerned about going over gross on the trailer versus what you are transporting. I was at a car race in the midwest and a fellow was talking about a trooper out there that gave him a hard time on the road with his trailer for something that I think would have flown up here. Best regards. John.
Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2013 :  08:44:20  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll bet the CDL doesn't apply if pulling with farm tags. That's how it is in Ky.

Daniel in Ky -- So much to do, so little time!

Go to Top of Page

BRAD1975

Canada
1562 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2013 :  14:33:05  Show Profile  Visit BRAD1975's Homepage Send BRAD1975 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
what is a cdl ?
Go to Top of Page

Cvans

USA
4406 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2013 :  15:32:45  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Commercial drivers license

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

B112

USA
5229 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2013 :  21:36:18  Show Profile  Visit B112's Homepage Send B112 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe my research on this is old. I've calculated that if the tractor is above 8,000 lbs, you start getting above the weight limit of a regular drivers license. Actually, I was originally looking into the maximum weight and size boat I could tow. There is also a length limit which can be towed for boats.

I added the links which seem to say there is a 17K or 18K weight limit. And as Dan mentioned, one of those posts mentions that if you're hauling for farm reasons, you can go to 80K without a CDL. Nice owning a working farm!

Solution for my friends with large tractors(Backhoes) is that we drive them on the road for short distances with a slow moving triangle.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_max_allowable_weight_without_requiring_a_CDL_license

http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f32/gcwr-gvwr-max-towing-capacity-cdl-etc-talk-about-confusing-120626/

Michael
Go to Top of Page

Cvans

USA
4406 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2013 :  23:44:26  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Michael you sure could be right. 8000 lbs. is a lot more tractor than I've hauled. 5000 was the largest.

Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12826 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2013 :  09:11:02  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We are limited to towing 10,000 lbs gvwr. A Ford 3000 is well under that.
We can also pull tandems.

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin

Edited by - skunkhome on 05/25/2013 09:11:48
Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2013 :  13:12:13  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hauled a 15,000 Massey 2745 on the back of our old 78 C65 2-ton a few years back all the way from near Akron, OH. NEVER again! I've hauled 22,000 of corn 60 miles to Louisville, and the tractor seemed like a lot worse, and it was actually because the load was more top heavy. When we got home, I almost dropped & kissed the dirt under my feet!

Daniel in Ky -- So much to do, so little time!

Go to Top of Page

B112

USA
5229 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2013 :  15:02:16  Show Profile  Visit B112's Homepage Send B112 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cvans

Michael you sure could be right. 8000 lbs. is a lot more tractor than I've hauled. 5000 was the largest.

Yes, Chris my observation is that I could get a full size Backhoe Loader for less than any compact tractor. My two friend with units which have a 4500 lbs front bucket lift both need to pay a driver with a CDL to move their machines, otherwise they drive on the road. It cost me $100 each way to move a friends machine to my house because they can't drive to me.

Dan interesting story. I am pulling a boat which is at the maximum capacity of my RT Durango. I am very cautious when I move that long distance. I can't see me towing it to distances unless I upgrade to a 250/350 truck. You definitely can feel when your at maximum capacity.

Michael
Go to Top of Page

B10Dave

Canada
1951 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2013 :  22:10:10  Show Profile Send B10Dave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Came off the scale at the sand pit grossing 53,200 KG [ 117,040 lbs ] on Friday morning. You guys are talking lightweight stuff....Dave

Money can't buy you happiness.
It can however buy you a beer.
And that is close enough.

Go to Top of Page

Jed2155

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2013 :  08:05:21  Show Profile  Visit Jed2155's Homepage Send Jed2155 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Each state is different I think. Under CDL here in VA is anything below 26,500 GVW. Provided the vehicle is able to carry it. Thats combination truck & trailer. If your stopped and the door tag and trailer info plate is less than you weigh you get a ticket. Anything with air brakes you must have CDL. The Ford is a common site around here. Our neihbor had a 3000. We had a 5000 for several years. Used it plowing and to blow silage. One thing about buying something they made a lot of, parts should be cheap and easy to find.

JED
Go to Top of Page

MorePower

49 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2013 :  08:20:58  Show Profile  Visit MorePower's Homepage Send MorePower a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have made every mistake you can make trailering, and only for the grace of God am I still here. I now tow with a 2500 long-bed Silverado, which is a great tow rig when at the proper weight. I looked into towing something heavy with the truck, and decided it was a no-go, but learned/heard something that I think is right. My truck weighs 6,000 lbs, and is rated to tow 10,000 lbs. As long as I don't exceed the 10,000 lb weight, which would be truck weight plus trailer tongue weight only, then I can tow it up to the 26,500 lb. limit for CDL. Does that sound right? The trailer wheels and brakes are carrying the rest of the load, so the truck is not overweighted. Again, I heard this and makes sense, but not for sure. Disclaimer - this topic is more like opening a 50 gal. drum of worms, and not just a can. Disclaimer #2 - your mileage will vary by state: I got a ticket back in the day in Ohio for driving 56 mph on a highway when the speed limit was 55. In MA, if a trooper is driving down the highway less than 90 mph, he's going slow. Usually no tickets until over 80. Best regards. John.
Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12826 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2013 :  08:58:15  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't tow much but I thought roughly 10% of the gross trailering weight needed to be on the tongue. For A truck that weighs 6000 lbs and with a GCWR of 25000 lbs the max towed would be 19000 lbs with a tongue weight of 1900 lbs. Of course that is less your cargo and truck occupants. Is that correct?

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) © Michael's Tractors 2006-2019 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1
end of topic