Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) Active Users: 215 / Visits Today: 215
Highest Active Users: 215
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors)
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Other Tractors, Attachments and other projects
 Other Garden Tractors
 Yanmar, Simplicity, Bolens tractor
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cvans

USA
4406 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2013 :  15:31:01  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of last winters projects was to convert a Bolens GT2000 to diesel and have it mow like a Simplicity. Seems to have worked out. Now for a new seat and paint the deck. I sure like those stripes.

East Central South Dakota

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Edited by - Cvans on 05/18/2013 15:45:27

acb10_64

USA
801 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2013 :  20:52:06  Show Profile  Visit acb10_64's Homepage Send acb10_64 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice work Chris! Was that a left hand discharge deck originally?

Wes

2 1964 Allis Chalmers B-10's

Go to Top of Page

superbinder

214 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2013 :  21:10:13  Show Profile Send superbinder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks good, how are you driving the deck?
Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2013 :  21:24:07  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What size Yanmar?

Daniel in Ky -- So much to do, so little time!

Go to Top of Page

Cvans

USA
4406 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2013 :  21:33:23  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes it was a lefty. Adapting the deck turned out to be kind of a fiasco. It is now driven by the Bolens gearbox so the rotation was backwards. Took the blades from the Bolens deck and shortened them to fit the Simplicity deck. After that was done the grass would not exit the discharge chute so that had to be closed and another opened on the other side. All the grass comes out the upper front corner and heads behind me at a 45 deg. angle. Fans out nicely and doesn't leave clumps. To tell the truth I had my doubts that it was going to work. I guess a guy has to get lucky once in a while.\
The engine is a Yanmar two cylinder 13hp. out of a semi truck tri-pac. I think they are called APU's. Seems to have plenty of power.

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Edited by - Cvans on 05/18/2013 21:37:28
Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12826 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2013 :  23:41:11  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice looking conversion on the mower deck. Does it have rollers in the back?

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

Cvans

USA
4406 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2013 :  08:59:27  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes it does have the rollers and they seem to be doing their job. I can mow along the edge of the road ditch and not scalp the ground. I would have preferred to use one of Simplicity's deeper decks but there just isn't room under the tractor with the gear box.

Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12826 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2013 :  10:17:55  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What deeper Deck? I know the right hand discharge decks of the 300 & 400 series were shallower. Btw if the lawn in your photos was cut with that mower you done good.

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

Jed2155

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2013 :  10:24:12  Show Profile  Visit Jed2155's Homepage Send Jed2155 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great combo-- were you able to use the clutch/pulley setup from the Bolens? What about the other end-driveshaft to the hydro? I was thinking of a replacement engine for mine and diesel would be nice

JED
Go to Top of Page

Cvans

USA
4406 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2013 :  13:45:59  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hang with me Phil as it has been a few months since this was done. I will have to see if the tag is still on the deck tomorrow and maybe we can figure this out. The 6212's and I believe 6216's had a shallower deck also. The lawn was mowed with this mower.
The original 20hp. Kohler that was in the tractor used an electric clutch for the PTO. I was not able to use that and now use a cable operated manual clutch. You can see the handle in he second photo above the brake. This is also a Simplicity item. The drive shaft is attached to the engine via an adapter that I machined for that purpose.

Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12826 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2013 :  19:38:42  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chris, not trying to be argumentary but I believe the 6200 decks were rh discharge and were shallow in comparison to the large frame desk. That one you converted looks like a standard early RBT deck before they started shortening the arbors.

Phil

Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

Cvans

USA
4406 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2013 :  21:44:07  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thrust me in saying that my feelings are not hurt because I just don't remember. You could be absolutely right. My first Simplicity was a 6212.5 and can't remember which way it discharged but I know it had a shallower deck.
YOUR RIGHT! I just looked it up and the deck on the 6200's is right hand discharge.

Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12826 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2013 :  22:29:18  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Regardless youdid a first rate conversion. Sound like a lot of trouble to have to cut down the blades. I would love to see close ups of your attachment system.

Phil

Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

Cvans

USA
4406 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2013 :  22:46:59  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are you talking about under the tractor? If so I can see about getting some photos.
Hoping to not have to always cut the blades. At the time the larger ones were all I had.

Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) © Michael's Tractors 2006-2019 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1
end of topic