Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) Active Users: 1468 / Visits Today: 1468
Highest Active Users: 1468
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors)
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Other Tractors, Attachments and other projects
 Other Garden Tractors
 JD 430 Diesel
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2012 :  19:56:58  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just bought this JD 430 diesel today. Almost new deck shell, engine runs like a new one, with 770hrs on the running meter. I didn't need it, but at just $1200, there's plenty room to make some money on it, or I may decide to keep it. They are a hoss of a tractor for sure! No 3pt, but did come with the lift arms and a 3rd arm link. I can
fabricate the rest. These have a 20hp Yanmar diesel 3 cylinder. Has a new fuel pump, ignition switch, and all new filters. NO leaks anywhere either. Some damage to grill & hood, but all easy enough to repair. Has the spring ride seat option too.

Daniel in Ky -- So much to do, so little time!

Cvans

USA
4406 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2012 :  20:47:25  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Next is another building and a new home for the little Kubota.
You really made a good deal on that one. For some reason the grills on those seem to take a beating. The owners must all drive by feel.
I figure one time mowing on that and the Kubota will be history.
Have fun!

East Central South Dakota

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2012 :  20:58:49  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My little Bota is safe for now. It fits where larger units just can't go. Plus I like the Bota. BUT, if it ends up financially the Bota or the 430....I'd likely let Bota go. Yes, I'd love to be able to build myself a large "Tractor House", but that's years from being possible. I don't even buy lotto tickets.

Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12826 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2012 :  21:16:14  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh! The pain

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12826 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2012 :  21:22:28  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cvans

. For some reason the grills on those seem to take a beating. The owners must all drive by feel!

Deere has always had a pretty big overhand on the front of the hood in front of the front axle to mimick the larger tractors. Leads to a lot of smacked grills and fiberglass hoods. Love the power of the yanmar and kubota diesel but neither one of those tractors will mow like a Simplicity mower.

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin

Edited by - skunkhome on 10/06/2012 21:25:03
Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2012 :  08:28:44  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skunkhome

quote:
Originally posted by Cvans

. For some reason the grills on those seem to take a beating. The owners must all drive by feel!

Deere has always had a pretty big overhand on the front of the hood in front of the front axle to mimick the larger tractors. Leads to a lot of smacked grills and fiberglass hoods. Love the power of the yanmar and kubota diesel but neither one of those tractors will mow like a Simplicity mower.

Whether I keep this 430 or sell it, it will likely end up with a large bumper on it. They never should have left the dealer's floor (or designer's paper) without a bumper!

Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12826 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2012 :  12:19:47  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I even found on the Simplicity/ AC RBTs that it is very easy for the front end to make contact with obstacles especially when mowing. The old FDT's were not as likely as the front axles were mounted right on the front of the chassis and the tires projected ahead of the hoods. Sweet Allis took a lick at some point before I got her. You can't see the point of impact but I know it was on the front left because the hinge is slightly bent racking the hood ever so silty to the right at the dash. Only a decerning eye can see it. The Johnny Bucket mount acts as a buffer but still have to be careful.

Phil

Benjamin Franklin

Edited by - skunkhome on 10/07/2012 12:26:59
Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2012 :  19:40:48  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I mowed with the 430 some today, and it does one nice job mowing, and I was pleasantly surprised! Need to raise the height of cut some though, as she's cutting way closer than I'd like at it's current setting. It fits everywhere but one place, so I may end up (as Chris said) putting my Kabota G4200 up for sale next spring. That is if the 430 doesn't develop any issues.

Edited by - olcowhand on 10/07/2012 21:41:17
Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12826 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2012 :  21:01:36  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am going to to put on sackcloth and cover my head with ashes.......ugh!

Your turf must not be very deep . Those guide wheels would sink into a good St. Augustine or centipede turf. Of course the Kubota has the same issue. Both my Kubotas scalped the heck out of the St Augustine turf in my front yard.

Phil

Benjamin Franklin

Edited by - skunkhome on 10/07/2012 21:12:50
Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12826 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2012 :  21:24:02  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Daniel, are the front casters on the mower supposed to roll on the ground all the time or are they supposed to only act as anti scalp wheels on uneven ground. The front rollers on the Kubota are not supposed to touch the ground but everyone I see is set up wrong and the mower rests on them all the time unless you partially raise the deck which Kubota warns against.

Phil

Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2012 :  21:32:29  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe these casters are all to run against the ground, as the instructs on the decals show how to set the height of the cut by adjusting the height setting of the wheels. My Kubota doesn't run on them like the JD. My ground is pretty firm unless the moles are hard at work.

Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2012 :  21:36:12  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Careful Phil, breathing the ashes isn't healthy!
But I know....me with more green. Is hard to take myself, but it'as not the only green here. I love my JD F935 front mower, and we have a JD planter, 7700 combine, and 18' disc. ALL our tractors are red except for Papaw's MMoline though. Over at GTT I'm being heckled a little (in good humor), so I told them if they kept it up, I'd paint this 430 RED!

Go to Top of Page

Cvans

USA
4406 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2012 :  21:44:40  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I'd paint this 430 RED!

Hate to see you insult a humble can of red paint that way.
Phil I have my rollers and caster set down as far as they can go on the Kubota and consider my grass length just right. If I raised them at all the grass would be too short also so I can see how you would have scalped the lawn.

East Central South Dakota

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12826 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2012 :  23:11:36  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Kubota mowed is supposed to be supported between the front brackets and the rear wheels. I had scarcely enough adjustment screw to bring the front up off the front nose and tip rollers. It still was too low in the front but it cut ok except on the thick turf. The instructions in the manual were obviously written in Japan and lost much in translation. It is apparent that leveling of he Kubota decks is a real issue, if you read the kubota threads at mytractorforum.com. I don't think the dealers know how to set them up. Daniel, you certainly have a lot more tractor in the 430 over the g4200. Tell me, can the 430 be moved with all four wheels on the ground if the engine won't start? That is one of the issues I had with the kubotas that caused me grief a time or two.

Phil

Benjamin Franklin

Edited by - skunkhome on 10/07/2012 23:14:29
Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2012 :  08:33:09  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skunkhome

Tell me, can the 430 be moved with all four wheels on the ground if the engine won't start? That is one of the issues I had with the kubotas that caused me grief a time or two.

Yes, the 430 has a 2 speed final drive along with a neutral position, so they roll much easier than a hydro that you have to push an unloader valve on. Just like the Allis 416H, they disengage the gears before the hydro.

Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12826 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2012 :  09:17:40  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
good that is a great feature. Nothing like having to jack up one of your rear tires on gravel to allow the differential to turn so it can be moved. I had to do that twice and one time I could not manage it and both my other tractors were trapped in front. It was nothing more than a battery issue but did not have cables long enough to jump her off. That is what prompted me to build my one deep shed.

Phil

Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) © Michael's Tractors 2006-2019 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1
end of topic