Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) Active Users: 8901 / Visits Today: 3702
Highest Active Users: 8901
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors)
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Information
 The Tractor and Attachment Gallery
 Next!! (Tear down complete)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Talntedmrgreen

USA
4110 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2012 :  21:04:18  Show Profile  Visit Talntedmrgreen's Homepage Send Talntedmrgreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I’ve been sittin on this Squire 9 since spring, with the intention to have it redone like my Big Ten for the 2011 show season. I toyed with the idea of doing a quickie job on it, and then thought about going all the way like before. I’m still not sure yet, but this is what I will be starting with. I have a mower deck with it too, but that probably won’t see the same attention. This has been stowed away in the barn, and since we had ourselves a 48 degree day, I figured it's time to bring her home. The Wonderboy 700 will get the boot, and take it's place in the polebarn until spring so momma can still park in the garage.

I had it fired up and run a bit back when I brought it home, but it leaked fuel like a sieve from the carb/manifold. I rebuilt the carb and will next work to make sure things are sound in the drive train and that it runs well. Other than the hood, the steel on this machine was very nice. No dented up fenders, grills or seatpan, and no cracked welds. It's in pretty decent original condition.

Still has the original Wards Riverside tires, which will leave to make room for 10.5 Trupowers in the rear, and 4.80 Carlisle Power Trac's up front

I'm considering the addition of a hydrolift I have, and just wrapped up getting my decals squared away with Nate @ clickitandstickit.com. I can't say enough about how great he was to work with! I have a new hood that is super-straight, surprisingly from my graveyard up the road. I'm going to redo my front end bushings and bearing as I did the Big Ten since that turned out so well, and throw a Nelson can on for good measure. The seat will get redone, and I'm going to redo my Carry All along with the machine, to match in MW bronze. I'm strongly considering shooting my sicklebar bronze too. I'd like to have a pair of attachments to match it, and don't have the heart to do the Weedcutter, though I have decals to do it.

I'm not sure how quickly I will progress. My initial plan was to begin in March or so, but I will get her running nice, get my paint situation figured out, and then get to the trearing down part. The back of my truck is already full of stuff for the sandblaster =]

Edited by - Talntedmrgreen on 02/06/2012 20:22:42

briggs9498

144 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2012 :  21:12:39  Show Profile  Visit briggs9498's Homepage Send briggs9498 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like it. Very nice original and rare tractor to start with. Hydrolift is a must when available. Maybe even a hi-low to go along with it? haha

B110, HB-112, B210, 725, 7010, 7016
Go to Top of Page

Talntedmrgreen

USA
4110 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2012 :  21:29:55  Show Profile  Visit Talntedmrgreen's Homepage Send Talntedmrgreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
=] I forgot! I do have a HiLo for it, but it would probably just be for show on that tractor. I probably won't be running a tiller or blower with the old 23D. It will make a nice putter, or a perfect sicklebar mower, since running the bar is a slow and low rpm task. I need more stuff to do with the machines. They fight over 'real' work.

Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12824 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2012 :  22:57:29  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gotta love the simplicity of the design. Definately Simplicitiy's finest hour.

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin

Edited by - skunkhome on 01/16/2012 23:01:25
Go to Top of Page

freddie

USA
2129 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2012 :  00:19:18  Show Profile  Visit freddie's Homepage Send freddie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't throw them tires away!!!!!! Sell them on eBay they are good tires for guys that pull. I have 4 sets of them, great treads nice grip at 4.5 lbs
Go to Top of Page

Talntedmrgreen

USA
4110 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2012 :  05:24:50  Show Profile  Visit Talntedmrgreen's Homepage Send Talntedmrgreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Freddie, my AGs are going on a set of wide rims I have, and I was thinkimg I will just clean these rims up the way they are and keep them with those tires mounted. They are pretty weatherchecked, but not dead yet. I dont think I could pitch them...I do like that tread! The lugs are almost like snowmobile track lugs, so I can see where they would hook up nice. Is there a modern equivilent?

Go to Top of Page

freddie

USA
2129 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2012 :  20:24:29  Show Profile  Visit freddie's Homepage Send freddie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
in the pulling, no. them have won me 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th place at almelund every year for ten years. they just grip man. if i had a loader on one of my tractors them there are what would be on it. all my pulling buddys have gone to them. because they were getting pi$$ed that i was winning all the time. build your self a puller and get into the game you will,will win.
Go to Top of Page

Talntedmrgreen

USA
4110 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2012 :  21:08:36  Show Profile  Visit Talntedmrgreen's Homepage Send Talntedmrgreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where do you find them? This is the only set I've seen in person.

Go to Top of Page

B10Dave

Canada
1951 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2012 :  21:45:46  Show Profile Send B10Dave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Josh' are you going to rattle can the paint? Let us know the brand and colour you settle on. My 9 definitly needs the paint too. Also I see your driveline is bronze but is the engine black? Can't tell from the pics. Dave

Money can't buy you happiness.
It can however buy you a beer.
And that is close enough.

Go to Top of Page

Talntedmrgreen

USA
4110 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2012 :  21:50:25  Show Profile  Visit Talntedmrgreen's Homepage Send Talntedmrgreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, the 23D is black, but the tranny and BGB are bronze. I know the 10hp Briggs, in say, my Big Ten were painted to match the tractors, but were the 23D's in the B's also painted to match? My 700's model 19 matches the tractor...

Were the '64 101's built with a black 23D?

Go to Top of Page

freddie

USA
2129 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2012 :  22:22:47  Show Profile  Visit freddie's Homepage Send freddie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you are talking about g/t pulling, just google it in your area. Tires are getting harder to find dew to people junking them. I have tubes in all mine and armer all them to help save them the best I can
Go to Top of Page

oldsarge

USA
688 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2012 :  10:23:23  Show Profile  Visit oldsarge's Homepage Send oldsarge a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The guys around here were always looking for the Sears 9.5",but there's very little stock pulling left.A big area wide club has taken over everything and there's no "farm stock" class left.
Go to Top of Page

Talntedmrgreen

USA
4110 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2012 :  12:39:10  Show Profile  Visit Talntedmrgreen's Homepage Send Talntedmrgreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by B10Dave

Josh' are you going to rattle can the paint? Let us know the brand and colour you settle on.

Dave, I'm planning on having some mixed and shooting it with a HVLP gun. I rattle canned the Big Ten, and it did turn out amazingly well, but I want to be able to add hardener for less downtime and a more durable finish. Plus, I'm not sold on how closely anything off the store shelf matches the Squire gold/bronze.

Also, if I get antzy enough, as I suspect I will, I may start this while it's still cool and wet out. My rattle can paint would take a week to dry past tacky. I did the last batch indoors, but not again.

Go to Top of Page

Talntedmrgreen

USA
4110 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2012 :  20:20:30  Show Profile  Visit Talntedmrgreen's Homepage Send Talntedmrgreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I finally had some time, ans since this is tear down #2 for me, things went fast and smooth. I was going to do a quickie job, but with the warm weather and winter boredom, there's no better time than the present.

I farted around with her yesterday, taking LOTS of closeup shots to aid the build later on, as I would like that to move quickly too. This evening I finished up a few stubborn spots and have most of my components torn down, and the truck is loaded for a trip to the sand blast man. That might take me a week to get there, and another week to get back, and in that time I hope to find some paint.

Lots of 'treats' in there.

The most stubborn part of the whole deal...lots of PB Blaster, heat, wrenching, beating, etc

Keeping the Riverside's around, and will refinish the rims

All that left (and a box of smalls for the wire wheel)

This thing here is a life saver...got it for Christmas and wasn't sure I'd like it. I DO! It's making the teardown so quick and easy

Go to Top of Page

freddie

USA
2129 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2012 :  22:41:37  Show Profile  Visit freddie's Homepage Send freddie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Me to, but mine is a ryobi and man drill impact is the way to go. Got it from my girlfriend. She must love me. Nice job on the tear down. Can't wait to see it all done. Good luck with the build.
Go to Top of Page

B10Dave

Canada
1951 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2012 :  23:45:35  Show Profile Send B10Dave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Josh; feel free to post lots of pics. We all want to "experience" this build with you. Hope it turns out exactly as you want. Dave

Money can't buy you happiness.
It can however buy you a beer.
And that is close enough.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) © Michael's Tractors 2006-2019 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1
end of topic