Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) Active Users: 968 / Visits Today: 968
Highest Active Users: 968
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors)
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Information
 The Tractor and Attachment Gallery
 Next!! (Tear down complete)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Talntedmrgreen

USA
4110 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2012 :  06:32:16  Show Profile  Visit Talntedmrgreen's Homepage Send Talntedmrgreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was planning on March for the work, but jumped ahead to take advantage of the warm garage. Looks like chilly air is coming back, so this is a perfect time to pass it off to the sand-man. Any thoughts on how to get a paint matched, without finding myself looking at a $400 automotive gallon of paint? My sand blast guy highly recommended the Rustoleum stuff with a hardener...he uses it and gallons are under $40, but he wasn't sure about color matching. I'd really like to get this as close to original bronze as possible. =]

Go to Top of Page

mikeman

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2012 :  15:36:15  Show Profile Send mikeman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't wait to see how this one turns out. I have a squire 9 too.
I would get it matched at auto paint store and 2 stage it.
Go to Top of Page

Talntedmrgreen

USA
4110 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2012 :  20:47:43  Show Profile  Visit Talntedmrgreen's Homepage Send Talntedmrgreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm trying to find a place, but having a tough time. Looks like you're up in tractor-country! All the good ones I seem to see listed are up near Flint, Davison, St Johns, Midland... How long have you had the Squire? I did see one not too long ago over in Grand Blanc.

Go to Top of Page

acb10_64

USA
801 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2012 :  21:39:25  Show Profile  Visit acb10_64's Homepage Send acb10_64 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You gonna tear the rear end down or leave as is? Look forward to more pics

Wes

2 1964 Allis Chalmers B-10's

Go to Top of Page

Talntedmrgreen

USA
4110 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2012 :  06:50:22  Show Profile  Visit Talntedmrgreen's Homepage Send Talntedmrgreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nah...this rear end feels really good. As I get my hands on more and more of them, I find it easier to determine which are good canditates for a tear down. This one is probably the first I've had that doesn't leak a drop. It doesn't even show signs of seeping at the axles or BGB. I'm not sure on the differential though...feels funny, so that will come apart.

The steering will be some help...axle might even need replaced. The spindles are trash, but suprisingly, the main axle pivot is nice and tight. Strange.

Go to Top of Page

mikeman

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2012 :  14:42:12  Show Profile Send mikeman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Talntedmrgreen

I'm trying to find a place, but having a tough time. Looks like you're up in tractor-country! All the good ones I seem to see listed are up near Flint, Davison, St Johns, Midland... How long have you had the Squire? I did see one not too long ago over in Grand Blanc.

I picked this one up in august of 2010 in Coldwater mi it appears pretty much original,except for the all black seat.
Go to Top of Page

Talntedmrgreen

USA
4110 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2012 :  17:01:15  Show Profile  Visit Talntedmrgreen's Homepage Send Talntedmrgreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mike, I believe the Squire 10's had an all black seat. I was of the impression the later 9's may have had the black seat also. What is the date on your Briggs?

Go to Top of Page

ASEguy

319 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2012 :  18:33:23  Show Profile  Visit ASEguy's Homepage Send ASEguy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As far as paint, I used PPG's modified acrylic enamel both for the wheels and for the tractor. I also used PPG epoxy primer. It was a little pricey, but the results were worth it. I think I payed $30.00 per quart for the paint and used 1 1/2 quarts. I'll paint two metal retro lawn chairs with the remaining paint this summer. Keep the pics coming and good luck. Gerard

Gerard
1967 Allis B-110
1948 Allis model C
1949 Ford 8N (gift)
Gravely model L walk behind (gift)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) © Michael's Tractors 2006-2019 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1
end of topic