Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) Active Users: 3895 / Visits Today: 399
Highest Active Users: 3895
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors)
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Other Tractors, Attachments and other projects
 Other Garden Tractors
 New Aquisition
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2011 :  19:56:50  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My UPS man came by the other day after work asking what might be wrong with the transaxle on a JD 212 he bought. He bought it for the engine to put on his walk behind mower, but this Kohler won't work, so now he's looking at fixing it to resell. He said he only gave $50 for it, and hated to have to deal with it. I told him I'd give him his $50 back sight unseen being it did run (doesn't move at all). He said he'd do that just to be rid of it. He even said he'd drop it off today, and he did. MAN was I surprised to see the tires it had on it!
After warming up well, she does smoke, but how much is hard to tell till she's under a pull. A pretty good bit of smoke when opening the throttle. No smoke at idle. The trans input turns fine, but something is busted inside on the input shaft, as it won't even grind the gears. But I will likely repair that this winter, then put up for sale.
All 4 tires will come off to be used on one of my larger tractors and used OE sizes back on it. The rear Tru-Powers are like new, and are marked "Titan", so are new being Titan bought out Carlisle. The front Carlisle turfs are new as well. Other than the trans repair, it needs just a few things, shift cover plate, one tail light lens, pto to deck belt....little stuff. The seat is faded, but no tears, just needs new webbing to fasten it back to the seat base.
Here's some pics. Quite a deal for $50!

Daniel in Ky -- So much to do, so little time!

Cvans

USA
4406 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2011 :  20:11:05  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Poor UPS guy. I hope you can sleep after doing that to him.

Were you able to keep a straight face as you paid him?

East Central South Dakota

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2011 :  20:21:20  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cvans

Poor UPS guy. I hope you can sleep after doing that to him.

Were you able to keep a straight face as you paid him?

I kept a straight face, but he didn't miss the pee running out of my pants leg!
Actually, I truly DID ask him if he was sure $50 was enough, as these tires were worth much more by themselves. He said no, that he just wanted his money back! I would have felt bad, but even his wife said she was so glad just to get it out of the garage. They are really nice folks, and he even wanted to show his wife my Bush Hog D4-10 that I fully restored. He seen it a while back.
He knew the 212 was worth more, but guess he just wanted to get it out of his way. He dropped it off on his way to get a Craftsman with an engine that WOULD work on his commercial walk behind mower.
I did tell him if he came across other deals like that........he cut me off & said he'd drop them off for me! LOL I told him I would be fine with going after them!

Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12826 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2011 :  20:32:17  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't get it too close to any of your other tractors. And be sure to scrub those tire real good with an antiseptic soap.

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

gearhead19

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2011 :  20:55:59  Show Profile  Visit gearhead19's Homepage Send gearhead19 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Man ya fell right into that one.......
Great score Dan, you lucky dog!!

Dan

Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2011 :  21:13:28  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Already have a guy maybe wanting it when I'm done swapping tires! He lives in Texas, but coming my way later in the year or early 2012. He's visited me before. Likely try to do a swap of some sort.

Go to Top of Page

Cvans

USA
4406 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2011 :  22:17:46  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Yeah I'll bet your eye balls just about jumped right out of your head when you saw those rear tires. I know mine would have. You really cleaned house on that deal.

East Central South Dakota

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

B-16_IC

USA
2823 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2011 :  22:29:30  Show Profile  Visit B-16_IC's Homepage Send B-16_IC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow what a deal! The sun was shining on you that day!

Life is all about paying. Pay attention, or pay the consequences, the choice is yours. Rich
Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2011 :  22:56:28  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
May be trading it (sans the new tires) for a JD140. My BIL has always wanted one bad, and if I get it, I'll swap or sell it to him cheap. Not wanting to be greedy, when my friend from Texas asked about the 212, I asked him if he had a well worn/tired 140, with or without engine. He has a couple with good hydro's, so we may do a trade. I'll have the tires, and my BIL will finally have a 140. Everybody ends up happy!

Go to Top of Page

gt2

Canada
18 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2012 :  19:54:11  Show Profile  Visit gt2's Homepage Send gt2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
wow . that sure is a good deal,green is an enviromentaly friendly color
ooh yeah.
Go to Top of Page

midnightpumpkin

USA
888 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2012 :  20:27:39  Show Profile Send midnightpumpkin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Daniel,

I think you milked the UPS man too! LOL
(It's kind of an inside joke,) see link:

http://www.michaelstractors.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6748&whichpage=6

John U
Go to Top of Page

acdad

USA
1158 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2012 :  23:02:43  Show Profile Send acdad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great deal, Daniel!

Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!

- Chris

Big Ten
912H

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) © Michael's Tractors 2006-2019 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1
end of topic