Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) Active Users: 541 / Visits Today: 541
Highest Active Users: 541
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors)
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Other Tractors, Attachments and other projects
 Other Garden Tractors
 Finishing touches on the Diesel Duratrac. Photos
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Cvans

USA
4406 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2011 :  16:37:00  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have never enjoyed doing fiber glass work so finishing the hood
was something that was left till last. Every winter I say that I'm not going to do any painting till it's warm and dry and every winter I try
it again. Turned out better on this project than the Kubota G4200 but still has a long way to go.
First photo is the hood and scoop (air intake for the radiator) in the early stages. The next is in the finished stage.

East Central South Dakota

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Cvans

USA
4406 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2011 :  16:47:41  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
These shots are under the hood. At this time I'm not planning on installing the side panels. They will fit but i'm afraid they will
restrict the air flow and my cause cooling problems. On top of that
I like to see things if problems develop. I fabricated the muffler
yesterday and it seems to do a good job of noise control. I can actually
here the engine making diesel noises now. Graphics will be added to the
hood when the weather warms.

The air filter is temporary and will be mounted in front of the radiator for cool air intake.

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

truckman

USA
49 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2011 :  17:24:20  Show Profile  Visit truckman's Homepage Send truckman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chris
Looks real nice!!!
Could you give some details on the muffler fabrication? I'm thinking of building one for my 16hp and always like to see what other people have done.

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect. It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfections.
Go to Top of Page

Cvans

USA
4406 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2011 :  17:50:27  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was limited by the room available so I used 3" auger tuber by 12" long for the outside.
Used 14ga. for the end caps. For the holes on the end I used a hole saw the correct size and
welded the intake pipe to the end cap. It does not extend into the muffler. The outlet pipe extends all the way into the muffler approx. 11.5 inches. There is a washer welded onto the end of this pipe inside the muffler. On three sides of the pipe inside the muffler I drilled a row of 5/16" holes. One side was left undrilled as it will be flat against the inside wall of the muffler and plug welded to the muffler. This elimates the chance for cracking from vibration. Weld the exhaust pipe to the end cap and then plug weld it to the muffler housing. Test fit and mark all joints before welding. That's about it. If your inlet and outlet pipes line up with each other I would make the outlet pipe inside the muffler shorter. I hope you are able to follow what I am getting at with this jibberish.

Thomas Jefferson

Edited by - Cvans on 03/26/2011 17:52:17
Go to Top of Page

B10Dave

Canada
1951 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2011 :  19:28:51  Show Profile Send B10Dave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Awesome job on the whole coversion Chris. Looks very well thought out and your fiberglass work seems to be top notch. Congrats. Dave

Money can't buy you happiness.
It can however buy you a beer.
And that is close enough.

Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2011 :  19:45:42  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by B10Dave

Awesome job on the whole coversion Chris. Looks very well thought out and your fiberglass work seems to be top notch. Congrats. Dave

Couldn't say it better, simply superb work Chris!

Daniel in Ky -- So much to do, so little time!

Go to Top of Page

truckman

USA
49 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2011 :  21:24:42  Show Profile  Visit truckman's Homepage Send truckman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chris
Yes I followed your description. Thanks. I was thinking of making mine with 2 chambers having both pipes extend into the center and being drilled then having the center plate drilled. I'm looking to quiet this down so I don't need ear plugs to mow the yard. lol

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect. It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfections.
Go to Top of Page

acb10_64

USA
801 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2011 :  21:52:35  Show Profile  Visit acb10_64's Homepage Send acb10_64 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wouldn't want to mess with fiberglass myself, but man you did a great job! Can't wait to see it with the decals!

Wes

2 1964 Allis Chalmers B-10's

Go to Top of Page

oldron

USA
2732 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2011 :  22:41:44  Show Profile Send oldron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very nice job Chris.
Ron

'Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!'
Go to Top of Page

Cvans

USA
4406 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2011 :  22:48:10  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First of all guys, Thank you very much for the compliments. It finally feels like it is coming together.
I'll post pictures as soon as the graphics are applied. I haven't finalized the design yet but am
getting close. Make that impatient.

Dale as far as your muffler design goes I'm sure it would work just fine. At least one of the internal pipes should
be perforated to smooth out the power pulses. I think you would be surprised at how quiet this is and I was looking
to fabricate as few pieces as possible. Kiss theory I guess. Also try and support your muffler to the engine. I have
rubber mounts so this is mandatory. Let me know how yours works out as it seems good mufflers are always a needed item.

Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12826 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2011 :  09:06:37  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chris, that looks very nice. I really can't tell from your photos but for the side panels have you considered panels to the rear of the radiator to eliminate the possibility of short circuit? I know that on my G5200 great care was taken to isolate the back from the front. I am assuming from the model number on the tank top that is an oversized radiator for that two cylinder.

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin

Edited by - skunkhome on 03/27/2011 10:08:36
Go to Top of Page

larry8200

USA
3166 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2011 :  09:22:41  Show Profile  Visit larry8200's Homepage Send larry8200 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hate fiberglass but I do it. Looks great to me!

Go to Top of Page

Cvans

USA
4406 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2011 :  20:49:46  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reminder Phil. I do have material to seal around the radiator to stop recirculation of the heated air. It's not
visible as you say but the sides and bottom are already restricted. The top and has to be done yet. The radiator is out of a Kubota B7100 which is the same horse power as this engine. They both use thermo-siphon coolant circulation. I'm hoping that this
will cure my cooling problems. I also purchased an adjustable temperature cooling fan switch so I can get the fan running at lower temperatures. The fan is out of a 1991 Nissan Sentra and should be moving plenty of air. It's about all the little
dynamo can handle for current load. I do have the option and parts to install another dynamo but I'm hoping that won't be necessary.

Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

Cvans

USA
4406 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2011 :  20:39:56  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know if this is going to work or not but at least I tried for a
video.
http://tinypic.com/m/efly1f/2

Sorry about the dirty lens. I didn't realize that it needed cleaning.

I'll post photo's after I try this.

Thomas Jefferson

Edited by - Cvans on 04/01/2011 20:50:08
Go to Top of Page

Cvans

USA
4406 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2011 :  20:48:00  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Photo's in case the video doesn't work for you. I don't think I like
Kodaks Easy Share soft ware either.

Air filter installation.

Graphics but no lettering yet.

Thomas Jefferson

Edited by - Cvans on 04/01/2011 20:51:24
Go to Top of Page

superbinder

214 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2011 :  21:28:11  Show Profile Send superbinder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chris, can you get a pic of the rear mower mount. I bought a parts tractor, can't find a model # 18 hp onan eliminator maybe, anyway trying to adapt the mower deck to my dgt 1700. thanks
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) © Michael's Tractors 2006-2019 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1
end of topic