Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) Active Users: 8684 / Visits Today: 7174
Highest Active Users: 8684
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors)
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Information
 The Tractor and Attachment Gallery
 Tiller needs help, I need help
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

skunkhome

USA
12826 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2011 :  22:13:17  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am wanting to put my old tiller back in service since it is really getting to be a pain to use the walk behind.

The tiller looks to be complete with extension kit but it is on rough shape.

there is a tremendous amount of stack in the chain drive and the bearings are shot.

I tried to remove the tines so that I could get at the bearings but they would not budge. I currently have it soaking in solvent.

I was thinking of Selling the extension kit but it appears the tines are welded together..and by someone with about the same skill level as I.

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin

freddie

USA
2129 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2011 :  22:29:22  Show Profile  Visit freddie's Homepage Send freddie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well phil. heres what i have to say. the tines are a pain in the ass to get off. oxy/asetalene and a bfh is the only way they will come off. it took me two hours to get mine off

oh, and a busted finger to boot.
Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12826 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2011 :  23:07:32  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We used to take ours off with little or np problem when I was a kid. Nothing heavier than a 16 oz claw hammer. Im guessing the sprockets are bad as well as the chain.

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

Cvans

USA
4406 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2011 :  00:10:13  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sure too bad that hadn't been soaking in a bath of diesel fuel for about six months. Dang that looks like work to me. Might be easier to let it soak and use the walk behind for a little while yet. I know how it is when one gets the urge to do something though. Heck with the torpedoes, full speed ahead!

East Central South Dakota

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12826 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2011 :  07:51:41  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It has been sitting for over a year but I am getting to where I am allergic to just about anything with handles.

Phil

Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

tractorjoe

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2011 :  08:18:50  Show Profile Send tractorjoe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
.It isn't a complicated design. I've seen where someone blew a chain in one and then had to open it up and replace the chain. He was able to get the chain non-name-brand from somewhere else, by the way.

I'd be using some PB spray to try freeing up what I can first. The rust on the tines will work its way off with use.

- Joe

Edited by - tractorjoe on 03/23/2011 08:20:09
Go to Top of Page

Cvans

USA
4406 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2011 :  09:12:23  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The tines on that tiller appear to be in very good condition. Who ever had it didn't have much sand or gravel in their soil or it was used very little. I'm not much for "handle tools" either. I gave my big old Airens rear tine tiller to my Daughters family because it was too hard on my back.

East Central South Dakota

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

cschmidt62

USA
560 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2011 :  09:12:41  Show Profile  Visit cschmidt62's Homepage Send cschmidt62 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If it's like the one I have, which it looks very simular, I was able to replace just the chains. If my memory is correct mine used both standard #40 & #50 roller chain available at any farm supply store.
My sprockets had some wear but I found most of the issue was the chain had stretched over the years. After putting it back together it ran quieter than it ever ran since I've owned it.

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity
Go to Top of Page

tractorjoe

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2011 :  09:41:58  Show Profile Send tractorjoe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here is that site I mentioned before where the guy repaired his:

http://www.visit-our-simple-life.com/Farm/Equipment_Repair/equipment_repair.php

- Joe

Go to Top of Page

oldsarge

USA
688 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2011 :  12:20:42  Show Profile  Visit oldsarge's Homepage Send oldsarge a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As rough as that thing looks,I think I'd fill it full of grease and put it in the ground until it totally quit,then fix it. Nothing to lose! $.02
Go to Top of Page

cschmidt62

USA
560 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2011 :  13:36:23  Show Profile  Visit cschmidt62's Homepage Send cschmidt62 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You could always drop it in the ground with the tine bolts out, maybe that would shake em loose...lol

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity
Go to Top of Page

doyoucesp1965

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2011 :  17:20:35  Show Profile  Visit doyoucesp1965's Homepage Send doyoucesp1965 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am a little new to the tractor tiller thing but... I have a question and as long as we be on the subject of tillers now the perfect time to ask.. I have 3 tractors and was wondering just what i need to attach it to either a 3310V 912 hydro and I beleave a 3418h..Have the mule drive for the back... Tiller in question is off a B-10..much like Phill's rite now...Any help would be good before i repost it on E.bay
Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12826 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2011 :  22:21:27  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by oldsarge

As rough as that thing looks,I think I'd fill it full of grease and put it in the ground until it totally quit,then fix it. Nothing to lose! $.02

Really?!, I didn't think of that option since the tine shaft was so sloppy.

Phil

Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

simplelife

USA
1385 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2011 :  22:44:29  Show Profile  Visit simplelife's Homepage Send simplelife a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can you get the cross bolts/pins out? If so, here is what a fella told me to do. Soak - soak - soak - soak with PBlaster or similar. After allowing several applications and letting it soak between applications, use two pry bars, one inserted in each side between the tines. Lock one down or get someone to help hold it so you can twist the tines back and forth. This might take several tries over a period of time. Heating the area before applying the penetrant will a lot of times allow is to soak in a little more while the metal is expanded.

If you get them to turn a little, keep working them back and forth. If a BFH won't move them off the shaft, you will need to insert a rod inside the tine housing until it bottoms against the actual shaft, then use a puller hooked to the tines and screwing against the rod you inserted. You may need multiple lengths of rod to finish the process. With the puller installed and pressure on, heat the area and keep tightening the puller. Using an impact driver on the puller might help also.

Also, stand the tiller on end and pour some penetrant down the tine tubes so it will soak in around the internal shafts.

Edited by - simplelife on 03/23/2011 22:50:43
Go to Top of Page

stangstud1

8 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2011 :  07:38:32  Show Profile  Visit stangstud1's Homepage Send stangstud1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe it's because I'm so impatient, but soaking rusted stuff never appealed to me. When it was feasible, I have had really good luck heating stuff like that up cherry red, then quenching it with cold water. It breaks the bond the rust has on the parts. I've done this on tiller tines, sheave pulleys on engines, and the center pivot point on tractors like a 738 has. Just use caution when gasoline is involved.
Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12826 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2011 :  00:57:38  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did not get to the tiller but I managed to get started on the frozen up mule drove. I quickly found that someone had applied a heavyt hammer to the pulley sleeve assembly #105166 and had turned the end over into a mushroom preventing its removal from the idler lever assembly #105177 .

After much filing, grinding and sanding I manager to remove the displaced metal and finally get the assembly apart. If you are afraid to get your hands dirty than you are probably involved in the wrong hobby.

Phil

Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) © Michael's Tractors 2006-2019 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1
end of topic