Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) Active Users: 9330 / Visits Today: 7820
Highest Active Users: 9330
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors)
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Information
 The Tractor and Attachment Gallery
 Tiller needs help, I need help
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Cvans

USA
4406 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2011 :  09:40:32  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is turning into quite a project. Looks like your gaining on it though. You can't be having fun if your hands are clean!

East Central South Dakota

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12826 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2011 :  22:41:50  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am missing the Belt Release Guard and it appears it is NLA. Can anyone give me dimensions off this part.

Apparently the main belt is 54 inches is that an L4 cross section.

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin

Edited by - skunkhome on 03/31/2011 22:44:40
Go to Top of Page

B10Dave

Canada
1951 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2011 :  17:40:25  Show Profile Send B10Dave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Phil; hope these pics help you out. Metal appears to be about 16 or 18 guage. If you have any questions PM me. Dave

Money can't buy you happiness.
It can however buy you a beer.
And that is close enough.

Edited by - B10Dave on 04/01/2011 18:38:45
Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12826 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2011 :  20:00:43  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dave, thanks that will be most helpful when I am able to get back into my shop. Right now it is filled with all the stuff I took off my truck. I have to take it to the body shop Monday to get the bed repaired from when the guy rear ended me in November.

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin

Edited by - skunkhome on 04/01/2011 20:02:11
Go to Top of Page

acdad

USA
1158 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2011 :  20:07:18  Show Profile Send acdad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am looking forward to seeing pics of this thing in action Phil

Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!

- Chris

Big Ten
912H

Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12826 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2011 :  20:24:20  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got my bearing in today and I was surprised to see that it came complete with a new lock ring. Even more curious I found that the lip on the inner race and the lock ring were both cut as eccentrics. I did not notice that it was that way until I started assembling them. I miked them even thought I could see the difference clearly with my naked eye.

I can't see any such milling on my old parts. Is this intentional or is it just the kind of quality We can expect from Mexico.

Phil

Benjamin Franklin

Edited by - skunkhome on 04/06/2011 22:56:59
Go to Top of Page

B10Dave

Canada
1951 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2011 :  22:17:18  Show Profile Send B10Dave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very intentional Phil. Install bearing, put ring in place, hold shaft and turn ring to tighten against bearing ecentric. Tighten set screw. Locks bearing to shaft better than just set screw. Surprised you are not familiar with this setup. It has been common for as long as I was in the automotive trade( since 1968). Dave.

Money can't buy you happiness.
It can however buy you a beer.
And that is close enough.

Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12826 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2011 :  22:54:29  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did not notice it on the old bearing and can't find it now since I have dumped everything out of my truck. I did try it out and by accident found that it locked to shaft when I twisted it. The old collar I examined and if it is eccentric it is not real obvious. I have never seen anything like it before in this application. I suppose the principle is the same as the cam locks on collapsing tubular legs that I am familiar with.

Phil

Benjamin Franklin

Edited by - skunkhome on 04/06/2011 23:15:12
Go to Top of Page

terdybukrat

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2011 :  22:42:43  Show Profile  Visit terdybukrat's Homepage Send terdybukrat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On trying to get stuff loose, I'll agree with everyone that said PB Blaster. I've never found anything that works anywhere near as good for me. Spray it and let it sit for 10-15 mins. After 10-15 minutes, take a small hammer and tap(not gently, but not trying to kill it) as many areas/sides as you can and spray it again really good. Come back after 10-15 more minutes/overnite/whatever and start tapping again and see if it's made any progress. Good luck.

If at first you don't succeed...grab a bigger hammer!
Go to Top of Page

MotoXgoon

54 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2011 :  05:42:50  Show Profile  Visit MotoXgoon's Homepage Send MotoXgoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Phil, you want to lock that collar in the direction of rotation to make sure it stays tight to shaft
Go to Top of Page

truckman

USA
49 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2011 :  23:18:16  Show Profile  Visit truckman's Homepage Send truckman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Phil,
Did you ever get your tines off of your tiller?
Ijust started the rebuild of mine and had the same problem you did with the tiens being frozen on. Thought I would post how I got mine off.

What you can't see in the photos is that I inserted a peice of rod stock smaller then the tiller shaft into the hole to give my puller something to push against. I also used a flat tip on the end of the puller.
Ihopethis helps someone.
Dale

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect. It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfections.
Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12826 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2011 :  23:37:57  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dale,
that is a great idea, however all my knives are welded together so I am going to have a pretty long rod to go the full width of the extended tines. I love it when people make those kinds of modifications. I have done nothing on the tiller in weeks as my shop is crammed up with supplies I removed from my truck so I could have the bed returned. I have been too busy to take the time to reload my truck properly so the items are trickling out of the shop only as I need them for jobs. could be months before i am able to get back in there and complete welding on the tiller shield. I figured once I got the tiller PTO and shield back together I could run the tiller and see it I knock the tines loose.

Phil

Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) © Michael's Tractors 2006-2019 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1
end of topic