Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) Active Users: 1124 / Visits Today: 1124
Highest Active Users: 1124
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors)
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Other Tractors, Attachments and other projects
 Other Garden Tractors
 just plain bad luck
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

skunkhome

USA
12824 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2009 :  23:53:58  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Picked up my "new" G1800 this morning. Got home early today and went up to the front of the subdivision to cut the grass. In the fields on either side of the entrance blvd I opened her up and buzzed through the grass at a brisk pace. It wasn't a Simplicity cut but it certainly was mowing the grass down. I noticed though when I would cut around roots and over uneven ground that the tractor seemed to loose traction. When I would turn sharp the rear inside wheel would sometimes spin wildly. I would raise the mover a bit and it would regain traction and proceed but the grass looked a mess. Then I dropped one wheel off the drive over curb into the street and I lost traction again. Raised the mower to no avail and had to rock the tractor to seemingly get it off high center. Then it hit me...It can't be so! With dread looming on the horrizon,I turned off the mower and headed back to the house. I jacked up the front of the tractor and much to my dismay I found the the front axle pivot "pin" was frozen. The very same way as in my G5200 only much worse. The only way I could pivot the axle assembly was to work a wrecking bar between the frame and the top of the beam. Then if I left the beam cocked and lowered the tractor to the ground one of the rear wheels would lift off the ground so that you could see light under the tread. Imagine that. No wonder the PO complained that he could not cut his hilly front yard...the dang tractor won't go over an ant mound without spinning tires. The axle beam is still intact but there are two hairline cracks in the frame just behind the cross member. This must be a common problem due to lack of lubrication as I have seen threads about lack of traction on the G series tractors on MyTractorForum.com. Everyone has speculated about too much downward pressure on the mower deck but no one has suggested that they jack up the front end and see if it is stuck. I am really bummed out as I am now back to square one with a much more expensive tractor. This tractor may not be in my stable for long. Can anyone say "part it out". I should have known but this guy seemed to know his way around the tractor and knew what a grease gun was. apparently that zerk is commonly overlooked.

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin

Roy

USA
1366 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2009 :  11:41:43  Show Profile  Visit Roy's Homepage Send Roy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bummer.

Roy
Go to Top of Page

Roy

USA
1366 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2009 :  11:43:44  Show Profile  Visit Roy's Homepage Send Roy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Phil,

Just send the engine to me. I will pay the freight.

Roy
Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2009 :  15:53:14  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry for the bad run of luck Phil. Much more expensive tractor, but likely a much better unit as well, ONCE the problems are fixed. Is it the same setup on the pivot as the 5200? Hope it's simpler!

Daniel in Ky -- So much to do, so little time!

Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12824 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2009 :  21:22:57  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by olcowhand

Sorry for the bad run of luck Phil. Much more expensive tractor, but likely a much better unit as well, ONCE the problems are fixed. Is it the same setup on the pivot as the 5200? Hope it's simpler!

It is almost identical but I can report that I may be making some headway. I changed out the zerk today as the old one was plugged wth rock hard grease. I tried pumpimg in solvent and grease may have forced some in. I worked the beam up and down many times using the 24" wrecking bar and I think it is moving easier though the weight of the tractor still will not move the beam. I will do some pumping again tomorrow and each day til it is free or I decide it's not happening. I checked with the Kubota dealer and they told me it was a bear to pull a stuck pin and would cost between $350 and $500. After pumpimg grease and having it escape around the coupling at the zerk, think I need a greasing tube that screws directly into the metric zerk hole.

I will need to get the frame welded on both sides when I get the pin free.

And, Yes this tractor is strong as an acre of garlic with its 16 hp diesel. I was cutting foot high grass at full speed Monday with no strain what so ever, but it is not as much fun as my old G5200.

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin

Edited by - skunkhome on 09/16/2009 22:04:31
Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12824 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2009 :  20:33:02  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I epoxied a new zerk fitting into a grease gun coupling in hopes of creating a leak proof method of delivering solvent and grease to my center pin. I will screw it onto an 18" hose, screw it into the zerk hole then attach to the grease gun. Hopefully this will do the trick.

Phil

Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2009 :  09:30:21  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That epoxied zerk is a great idea! I should make one up myself!
And with the cracked frame, I would have that welded, then ground flush, then add a thick strap for as far as you can down the frame to add some strength. If reinforced, likely it will never crack again.

Daniel in Ky -- So much to do, so little time!

Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12824 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2009 :  17:16:24  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by olcowhand

That epoxied zerk is a great idea! I should make one up myself!

Well, Daniel, don't waste your time. It did not hold. I guess I need to find someone to weld it.

Phil

Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) © Michael's Tractors 2006-2019 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1
end of topic