Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) Active Users: 8707 / Visits Today: 3508
Highest Active Users: 8707
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors)
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Information
 The Tractor and Attachment Gallery
 Restored B-10
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

GarryVH

USA
119 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2008 :  06:26:17  Show Profile Send GarryVH a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I finally got around to uploading a photo of my restored B-10

B112

USA
5227 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2008 :  07:52:45  Show Profile  Visit B112's Homepage Send B112 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's spectacular! Very nice detail!

Michael
Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12824 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2008 :  08:12:38  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
very nice, Gary. do you work it or just show.

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

GarryVH

USA
119 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2008 :  17:49:41  Show Profile Send GarryVH a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gents,

Thank you for the kind words.

The short response to Phil is that in my opinion, the machine is in too good a condition to use as a worker and my intention is to just take it to a few shows now and then. I reside in Colchester, CT and some of you may know that Zagray Farm is also located there. There are several tractor/antique engine shows every year at Zagray, and I am very fortunate to live only 15-minutes away, so the machine will definitely be shown there.

I bought this machine from our local Simplicity dealer about 14 years ago, removed the transaxle and had the dealership overhaul it, then loaned it to brother-in-law Paul with the idea that he would use it for several seasons to cut his lawn. Paul decided to restore the machine for me as a gesture of appreciation for me loaning it to him. He disassembled it, did a small amount of work, then it sat in his garage for years, until I pressed him hard this spring that I needed it back because my other machines are, how shall we say "mechanically challenged". Long story short: I got the machine back in October, as you see it in the photo. The credit for the restoration goes to Paul Hout in Long Island - he is a very talented guy, and I would have to say that it was well worth the wiat.

I have restored several machines over the years and doubt I could have done as nice a job. All I have done since the machine was returned to me is replace the points and condenser - the rest of the engine has been restored and it runs great.

Note the bright metal trim piece on the side of the front grill. I mentioned in a previous posting that my other brother-in-law, Mark, works in a sheet metal shop, also in Long Island. Mark fabricated the grill trim pieces from stainless. I saw Mark over the Thanksgiving holiday and discussed the idea of him fabricating some number of grill trim sets, that I could then make available to club members. Mark indicated that the company he works for has a policy of not allowing employees to use the equipment for personal projects (although he apparently was able to fabricate a set for Paul on his own time this summer). So, the only way to make this happen is to approach Mark's employer as a potential "through-the-front-door-customer" and have them prepare a proposal/cost estimate for fabricating the trim pieces. I fear that doing it this way would be prohibitively expensive, especially for a small quantity run. I need to think about this some more before approaching Mark's employer. I mentioned this in an earlier posting: I am not in a position to start a tractor sheet metal parts reproduction business.

All for now.

Regards,

Garry
Go to Top of Page

Denny

348 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2008 :  18:22:26  Show Profile  Visit Denny's Homepage Send Denny a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Garry,
Through your restoration,, have you any idea of production date ?
Mine is very similar with the exception,, flatter rear fenders, and no arm rests. The build tag behind the seat was never stamped, of just wore smooth.
Great looking !! Hope to have mine lookin that good in the spring. ( can't tear it down now, got the snow blower ready for action )
Denny

Early B10
67 Bee10
68 B16HD 112 Loader
68 B112 L112
68 B112
4041 Power Max
Go to Top of Page

GarryVH

USA
119 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2008 :  18:36:10  Show Profile Send GarryVH a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Denny,

Flatter fenders and no arm rests - one of the other more knowledgeable members will have to address this, because it is unfamiliar to me.

Brother-in-law Paul has the build tag - in fact, he had a reproduction made, only I don't have it yet. Once I get it, I'll tell you what's on it, and will share with everyone where to get reproduction tags.

Garry
Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12824 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2008 :  20:12:04  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Denny

Through your restoration,, have you any idea of production date ?
Mine is very similar with the exception,, flatter rear fenders, and no arm rests. The build tag behind the seat was never stamped, of just wore smooth.
Great looking !! Hope to have mine lookin that good in the spring. ( can't tear it down now, got the snow blower ready for action )
Denny

Denny, pictures would help but it sounds like a B100 or B200 series (B100's 1967-68)(B200's 1969-70).

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin

Edited by - skunkhome on 12/04/2008 20:15:55
Go to Top of Page

4xbill

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2008 :  07:03:16  Show Profile Send 4xbill a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, looks great!

Howell, NJ
Go to Top of Page

mikefox

USA
382 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2008 :  12:47:04  Show Profile Send mikefox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paul Hout sure did a great restore on your tractor.
I love the attention to all the details.

50 years of dissolute living has left me but a vestige of my handsome youth.
\\\\|////
( @ @ )
Oo-(_)-oO
Go to Top of Page

GarryVH

USA
119 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2008 :  09:18:21  Show Profile Send GarryVH a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The most amazing part is that he did this in a rush...
Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12824 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2008 :  14:54:37  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GarryVH

Brother-in-law Paul has the build tag - in fact, he had a reproduction made, only I don't have it yet. Once I get it, I'll tell you what's on it, and will share with everyone where to get reproduction tags.

Garry

Whats wrong with this build tag?

Phil

Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

simplelife

USA
1385 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2008 :  18:57:20  Show Profile  Visit simplelife's Homepage Send simplelife a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skunkhome

Whats wrong with this build tag?

ID number refers to Simplicity instead of Allis Chalmers?
Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12824 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2008 :  21:35:12  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by simplelife

[quote]

ID number refers to Simplicity instead of Allis Chalmers?

give the man a cigar! It is obviously a reproduction (fake).

Phil

Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

GarryVH

USA
119 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2008 :  11:57:34  Show Profile Send GarryVH a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My question is: where does one obtain reproduction build tags?
Go to Top of Page

B112

USA
5227 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2008 :  12:22:44  Show Profile  Visit B112's Homepage Send B112 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1st Ask Dan (OleCowHand). Let's see if anyone has any ideas also.

Michael
Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2008 :  12:33:25  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by B112

1st Ask Dan (OleCowHand). Let's see if anyone has any ideas also.

Text too small for me to cut. There's a guy I know who can do that with his $20,000.00 vinyl printer, but getting him TO DO it is the problem. I'd have to have about 30 or so done by him at a time for him to consider it. Could the numbers just be the same on all tags?

Daniel in Ky -- So much to do, so little time!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) © Michael's Tractors 2006-2019 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.1 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1
end of topic