Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) Active Users: 786 / Visits Today: 786
Highest Active Users: 786
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors)
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Other Tractors, Attachments and other projects
 Other Garden Tractors
 Working on Kubota G5200HST
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

skunkhome

USA
12827 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2008 :  00:03:27  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I changed the Hydrostatic transmission oil filter today. I had to pull the right rear tire off to do so, so I adjusted the brake free travel as well. The brake action is much bertter but for the life of me I can't see the brake at all. I think it is a disc between the hydrostatic motor and the trans axle. Can't figure how to get to it to do service. I have a parts manual coming though and it should give me some insight. I checked the transmission oil and thought it was down so much it would not touch the dip stick but when I set out to fill to proper level I over ran the top of the fill hold. The dang dip stick is very hard to read with the near crystal clear oil, and apparently the oil level was fine before I started to refill. I had to siphon the oil back down to the proper level. What a pain. Also tried to service the front wheel bearings but found that they could not be tightened up as there is a shoulder which goes from 3/4" to 1" shaft where the bearings ride and the jamb nut and 3/4" washer were tight down against the shoulder on both spindles. Looks like I need to get one or two 1" ID washers to use as spacers to take the end play out of the bearings. in addition to the tractor parts manual I won a tractor and mower operators manual on ebay today. I am also bidding on a mower parts manual. I should have plenty of reference materials in short order.

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin

Edited by - skunkhome on 09/15/2008 00:05:11

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2008 :  09:48:46  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I bought an IT shop manual off ebay Saturday for my MF1010. Always good to have a manual. Mostly I don't use a manual, but when it comes to remembering all the torque values & clearances, there's NO way I can remember all that stuff.
BTW...you're not alone in overfilling, done that before too! I've bought shims to tighten bearings like you describe. Ask for shim washers, as they have narrow widths.

Daniel in Ky -- So much to do, so little time!

Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12827 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2008 :  23:04:44  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by olcowhand

I've bought shims to tighten bearings like you describe. Ask for shim washers, as they have narrow widths.

Well, I don't think I need them too narrow as I have about 3/16" end play

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12827 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2008 :  23:06:45  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skunkhome

[quote]Originally posted by olcowhand

I've bought shims to tighten bearings like you describe. Ask for shim washers, as they have narrow widths.

Well, I don't think I need them too narrow as I have about 3/16" end play...BTW, just won Kubota parts manual minutes ago.
Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2008 :  09:06:04  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a lot of free play! Bearings worn that much? Even if they are worn, tapered have a lot of room to keep tightening up when it's not going at highway speeds. How you like the power of that diesel? I absolutely LOVE mine!

Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12827 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2008 :  23:23:46  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That's a lot of free play! Bearings worn that much? Even if they are worn, tapered have a lot of room to keep tightening up when it's not going at highway speeds. How you like the power of that diesel? I absolutely LOVE mine!

Daniel, if the hour meter isn't bogus (960 hrs)there is no way I would have that much wear. I think some spacers are missing. hopefully my parts manual (on the way ) will shed some light. Even at 14 Hp that 3 cyl diesel is a beast. So much torque! It will actually snap your head back if you slap the throttle forward.

Phil

Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2008 :  09:02:05  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Daniel, if the hour meter isn't bogus (960 hrs)there is no way I would have that much wear. I think some spacers are missing. hopefully my parts manual (on the way ) will shed some light. Even at 14 Hp that 3 cyl diesel is a beast. So much torque! It will actually snap your head back if you slap the throttle forward.

That's a huge coincidence...my MF1010 had EXACTLY 960 hours on it's clock too!!!

Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12827 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2008 :  20:56:53  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I finally took the rear shroud off my Kubota today Just to look around. I must say that I know little more than I did before.

The channel iron frame was full of caked on mud and grease so it was pretty hard to see much of anything.

I was particularly interested in the brake disc which rattles like crazy (green arrow). It floats on a spline shaft and is held in place by a "C" clip. It wanders back and forth on the shaft until the brakes are applied. It is pretty noisy but I can't figure how to get to it without doing a lot more dismantling of the tractor. Maybe a coating of heavy grease on the shaft would stop the rattling.

A little clean up allow me to see a better and discovered some rust through on the bottom rail of the frame.

Even with years of debris removed I am still unable to tell much about the disc brake. My manuals aren't much help either. I guess I just need to start taking things apart and see where it takes me.

Phil

Benjamin Franklin

Edited by - skunkhome on 10/19/2008 21:13:50
Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2008 :  21:12:30  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, you have an Eaton model 11 hydrostat unit. Same as on my Unico 15 made by MTD. Many makes use the Eaton 11. Good hydro's.

Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12827 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2008 :  21:24:42  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, you have an Eaton model 11 hydrostat unit. Same as on my Unico 15 made by MTD. Many makes use the Eaton 11. Good hydro's.

I am really pleased with the transmission and engine. Mower is giving me grief though. I think the key now is the front links which I believe are too long allowing the front of the mower to dig even in the raised position. I don't know what length they need to be. It would be helpful to get that length "A" from pin to pin as one of the turnbuckles is welded on one end so it can't be adjusted in place.

Phil

Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

haykarenhardy

USA
199 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2008 :  19:28:42  Show Profile  Visit haykarenhardy's Homepage Send haykarenhardy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now is the time to mount your deep deck and rear lift. Looks like you have a good hydro unit and engine.
Stan

Edited by - haykarenhardy on 10/20/2008 19:30:18
Go to Top of Page

ZippoVarga

USA
139 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2008 :  00:22:35  Show Profile  Visit ZippoVarga's Homepage  Send ZippoVarga an AOL message  Send ZippoVarga a Yahoo! Message Send ZippoVarga a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't grease the spline shaft that the brake disc rides on. The grease will sling onto the brake disc and really cobble things up. Then you'll HAVE to tear it down to get it degreased. I suggest a couple rubber bushings to quiet things down. One on either side. Also, if you're feeling ambitious and do tear it down, a little anti squeal behind the pads will help some of the chatter also. IMHO of course.

Simply the best tractors ever made.Zip~

Edited by - ZippoVarga on 12/23/2008 00:32:11
Go to Top of Page

simplelife

USA
1385 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2008 :  07:19:11  Show Profile  Visit simplelife's Homepage Send simplelife a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I guess I just need to start taking things apart and see where it takes me.

Edited by - simplelife on 12/23/2008 07:21:01
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) © Michael's Tractors 2006-2019 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1
end of topic