Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) Active Users: 1146 / Visits Today: 1146
Highest Active Users: 1146
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors)
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Information
 The Tractor and Attachment Gallery
 Next!! (Tear down complete)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Click here to attach a photo to your post

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Talntedmrgreen Posted - 01/16/2012 : 21:04:18
Well, I’ve been sittin on this Squire 9 since spring, with the intention to have it redone like my Big Ten for the 2011 show season. I toyed with the idea of doing a quickie job on it, and then thought about going all the way like before. I’m still not sure yet, but this is what I will be starting with. I have a mower deck with it too, but that probably won’t see the same attention. This has been stowed away in the barn, and since we had ourselves a 48 degree day, I figured it's time to bring her home. The Wonderboy 700 will get the boot, and take it's place in the polebarn until spring so momma can still park in the garage.

I had it fired up and run a bit back when I brought it home, but it leaked fuel like a sieve from the carb/manifold. I rebuilt the carb and will next work to make sure things are sound in the drive train and that it runs well. Other than the hood, the steel on this machine was very nice. No dented up fenders, grills or seatpan, and no cracked welds. It's in pretty decent original condition.

Still has the original Wards Riverside tires, which will leave to make room for 10.5 Trupowers in the rear, and 4.80 Carlisle Power Trac's up front

I'm considering the addition of a hydrolift I have, and just wrapped up getting my decals squared away with Nate @ clickitandstickit.com. I can't say enough about how great he was to work with! I have a new hood that is super-straight, surprisingly from my graveyard up the road. I'm going to redo my front end bushings and bearing as I did the Big Ten since that turned out so well, and throw a Nelson can on for good measure. The seat will get redone, and I'm going to redo my Carry All along with the machine, to match in MW bronze. I'm strongly considering shooting my sicklebar bronze too. I'd like to have a pair of attachments to match it, and don't have the heart to do the Weedcutter, though I have decals to do it.

I'm not sure how quickly I will progress. My initial plan was to begin in March or so, but I will get her running nice, get my paint situation figured out, and then get to the trearing down part. The back of my truck is already full of stuff for the sandblaster =]

15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
ASEguy Posted - 02/18/2012 : 18:33:23
As far as paint, I used PPG's modified acrylic enamel both for the wheels and for the tractor. I also used PPG epoxy primer. It was a little pricey, but the results were worth it. I think I payed $30.00 per quart for the paint and used 1 1/2 quarts. I'll paint two metal retro lawn chairs with the remaining paint this summer. Keep the pics coming and good luck. Gerard
Talntedmrgreen Posted - 02/08/2012 : 17:01:15
Mike, I believe the Squire 10's had an all black seat. I was of the impression the later 9's may have had the black seat also. What is the date on your Briggs?
mikeman Posted - 02/08/2012 : 14:42:12
quote:
Originally posted by Talntedmrgreen

I'm trying to find a place, but having a tough time. Looks like you're up in tractor-country! All the good ones I seem to see listed are up near Flint, Davison, St Johns, Midland... How long have you had the Squire? I did see one not too long ago over in Grand Blanc.

I picked this one up in august of 2010 in Coldwater mi it appears pretty much original,except for the all black seat.
Talntedmrgreen Posted - 02/08/2012 : 06:50:22
Nah...this rear end feels really good. As I get my hands on more and more of them, I find it easier to determine which are good canditates for a tear down. This one is probably the first I've had that doesn't leak a drop. It doesn't even show signs of seeping at the axles or BGB. I'm not sure on the differential though...feels funny, so that will come apart.

The steering will be some help...axle might even need replaced. The spindles are trash, but suprisingly, the main axle pivot is nice and tight. Strange.
acb10_64 Posted - 02/07/2012 : 21:39:25
You gonna tear the rear end down or leave as is? Look forward to more pics
Talntedmrgreen Posted - 02/07/2012 : 20:47:43
I'm trying to find a place, but having a tough time. Looks like you're up in tractor-country! All the good ones I seem to see listed are up near Flint, Davison, St Johns, Midland... How long have you had the Squire? I did see one not too long ago over in Grand Blanc.
mikeman Posted - 02/07/2012 : 15:36:15
I can't wait to see how this one turns out. I have a squire 9 too.
I would get it matched at auto paint store and 2 stage it.
Talntedmrgreen Posted - 02/07/2012 : 06:32:16
I was planning on March for the work, but jumped ahead to take advantage of the warm garage. Looks like chilly air is coming back, so this is a perfect time to pass it off to the sand-man. Any thoughts on how to get a paint matched, without finding myself looking at a $400 automotive gallon of paint? My sand blast guy highly recommended the Rustoleum stuff with a hardener...he uses it and gallons are under $40, but he wasn't sure about color matching. I'd really like to get this as close to original bronze as possible. =]
B10Dave Posted - 02/06/2012 : 23:45:35
Josh; feel free to post lots of pics. We all want to "experience" this build with you. Hope it turns out exactly as you want. Dave
freddie Posted - 02/06/2012 : 22:41:37
Me to, but mine is a ryobi and man drill impact is the way to go. Got it from my girlfriend. She must love me. Nice job on the tear down. Can't wait to see it all done. Good luck with the build.
Talntedmrgreen Posted - 02/06/2012 : 20:20:30
Well, I finally had some time, ans since this is tear down #2 for me, things went fast and smooth. I was going to do a quickie job, but with the warm weather and winter boredom, there's no better time than the present.

I farted around with her yesterday, taking LOTS of closeup shots to aid the build later on, as I would like that to move quickly too. This evening I finished up a few stubborn spots and have most of my components torn down, and the truck is loaded for a trip to the sand blast man. That might take me a week to get there, and another week to get back, and in that time I hope to find some paint.

Lots of 'treats' in there.

The most stubborn part of the whole deal...lots of PB Blaster, heat, wrenching, beating, etc

Keeping the Riverside's around, and will refinish the rims

All that left (and a box of smalls for the wire wheel)

This thing here is a life saver...got it for Christmas and wasn't sure I'd like it. I DO! It's making the teardown so quick and easy

Talntedmrgreen Posted - 01/18/2012 : 12:39:10
quote:
Originally posted by B10Dave

Josh' are you going to rattle can the paint? Let us know the brand and colour you settle on.

Dave, I'm planning on having some mixed and shooting it with a HVLP gun. I rattle canned the Big Ten, and it did turn out amazingly well, but I want to be able to add hardener for less downtime and a more durable finish. Plus, I'm not sold on how closely anything off the store shelf matches the Squire gold/bronze.

Also, if I get antzy enough, as I suspect I will, I may start this while it's still cool and wet out. My rattle can paint would take a week to dry past tacky. I did the last batch indoors, but not again.
oldsarge Posted - 01/18/2012 : 10:23:23
The guys around here were always looking for the Sears 9.5",but there's very little stock pulling left.A big area wide club has taken over everything and there's no "farm stock" class left.
freddie Posted - 01/17/2012 : 22:22:47
If you are talking about g/t pulling, just google it in your area. Tires are getting harder to find dew to people junking them. I have tubes in all mine and armer all them to help save them the best I can
Talntedmrgreen Posted - 01/17/2012 : 21:50:25
Yeah, the 23D is black, but the tranny and BGB are bronze. I know the 10hp Briggs, in say, my Big Ten were painted to match the tractors, but were the 23D's in the B's also painted to match? My 700's model 19 matches the tractor...

Were the '64 101's built with a black 23D?

Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) © Michael's Tractors 2006-2019 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1