Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) Active Users: 7380 / Visits Today: 3283
Highest Active Users: 7380
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors)
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Information
 The Tractor and Attachment Gallery
 New Camera, Old Big 10

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Click here to attach a photo to your post

T O P I C    R E V I E W
larry8200 Posted - 04/06/2011 : 12:09:28
Breaking in my new Samsung LT210 pocket camera, the Big 10 is always a good subject.

I still marvel at my Big 10, that the PO advertised it for months for $500 with all the attachments and a mountain of parts, and had trouble selling for $400... After going through the fuel system and replacing the head gasket, it is as solid a tractor as I have. The blade and snowblower work great, the sickle bar looks like 10 minutes and it will be mounted and running. The mower deck may need a belt and a idler. It came with multiple new spare belts for the deck, both the drive and spindle.... I've barely spent $50 putting the tractor together. It even had the correct 51R battery in excellent shape and the original battery cables.

Sometimes I feel guilty for so shamelesslly working this mainly original Big 10, but only for a moment. :) I would guess I've ran it 35-40 trouble free hours. At least the rusty old chains are nice and shiny now.

13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
larry8200 Posted - 04/07/2011 : 07:34:44
Afterthought: I have 2 kitchen knives I keep VERY sharp. I worked in some restaurants as a teen and was taught to never put sharp knives in the sink... At least once my life expereince has proven the wisdom of that....
larry8200 Posted - 04/07/2011 : 07:28:09
I'll admit I've been lucky, a few close calls, just enough to make me shudder at the thought. This is my 25th year with my own custom cabinet business and gaurds have mostly gotten tossed during machine setup, and since I've always had an affinity for old machinery, half never had gaurds anyway. More than once I've been told I'm too serious when driving, working, and even playing. But my safety record reflects it. (as does my 10 whole fingers)

I can easily see 3-legged dogs around well used sickle bars.... shudder....
Talntedmrgreen Posted - 04/06/2011 : 21:30:27
When I bought mine, the old guy told me with the straightest face in the world 'they don't make as many of these as they used to...that's why you quit seeing three-legged dogs'

I wanted to laugh, but he was serious...he had 8 fingers (due to woodworking, not lawn care), but it was sobering to listen to him warn me. My wife was horrified and questioned me all the way home about the operation of that tooth and fang contraption.

He also asked if I had a dog...
acdad Posted - 04/06/2011 : 20:35:15
Love that machine Larry!

I had an Ag Mechanics teacher in high school who lost an arm from a missing PTO guard on one of his farm tractors, so I can imagine what a sickle bar could do!
skunkhome Posted - 04/06/2011 : 20:04:43
I have been around power equipment all my life and more than a few kitchen knives but nothing brings so vivid a picture to my mind that getting digits chopped off with a sickle bar.
larry8200 Posted - 04/06/2011 : 16:20:50
LOL. If you aren't REAL safety concious, these old fdt's probably aren't for you.
Talntedmrgreen Posted - 04/06/2011 : 16:20:03
True! Ive had many more injuries with a kitchen knife than a sickle bar...still intimidating lookin machines though!
simplelife Posted - 04/06/2011 : 15:45:50
While the sickle mowers deserve attention for safety, I guess I don't look at them much different than any machine. Dad showed me at an early age how to properly handle the cutter head when raising and lowering it on the ones we used on the farm. No more dangerous than a power saw or even a kitchen knife if not handled properly.
Talntedmrgreen Posted - 04/06/2011 : 15:05:30
Yeah, it's a trip, fall, pinch, bang head, laceration, etc hazard for sure. Once I had it tucked away and ratchet strapped in the corner of my garage for the winter, I swore I wouldn't wrestle it again until I needed it. It does have a very small footprint when stored in the upright position though!
skunkhome Posted - 04/06/2011 : 14:04:53
The sickle bar mower is heavy. More so though when unmounted it is pretty unwieldy. I am always concerned that the cutter would slip and trap a finger or something between it and the stone guards. Ouch! They are IMO crazy scary but a bundle of fun.
larry8200 Posted - 04/06/2011 : 14:04:34
quote:
Originally posted by Talntedmrgreen

Yup, you have a real nice rig there, and at a fraction of what I've seen worse ones sell for up this way. I see a lot more Simplicity's than I do Allis' in my state, and when they pop up, they don't last the day.

I had less trouble mounting my sickle bar than I do my mower deck...it's a breeze! I can't recall, do you have the cable lift, or the manual lift like mine? Mine is the 2 front pins, the belt to the PTO, then attache the chain and you're ready to rock. Need the front chain that holds it in the upright position though, also. That thing is HEAVY when it's up in the air.

My sickle bar is like yours Josh, I dont have the number for it offhand, but all 4 attachments are for the 725/B1, 3 belt blower, 46" sickle bar mower, 42" bolt together mower deck and 46" remote angle dozer blade.

acb10_64 Posted - 04/06/2011 : 13:02:15
A Bee with a stinger! Pictures look good to me Larry. I'd like to see that sickle bar mounted up!
Talntedmrgreen Posted - 04/06/2011 : 12:57:53
Yup, you have a real nice rig there, and at a fraction of what I've seen worse ones sell for up this way. I see a lot more Simplicity's than I do Allis' in my state, and when they pop up, they don't last the day.

I had less trouble mounting my sickle bar than I do my mower deck...it's a breeze! I can't recall, do you have the cable lift, or the manual lift like mine? Mine is the 2 front pins, the belt to the PTO, then attache the chain and you're ready to rock. Need the front chain that holds it in the upright position though, also. That thing is HEAVY when it's up in the air.

Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) © Michael's Tractors 2006-2019 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1