Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) Active Users: 1891 / Visits Today: 68
Highest Active Users: 1891
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors)
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Other Tractors, Attachments and other projects
 Other Garden Tractors
 Ford 3000 with attachments

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Click here to attach a photo to your post

T O P I C    R E V I E W
MorePower Posted - 05/23/2013 : 20:55:42
Hey guys,
I know where there is a 1980 or so Ford 3000 tractor that has been sitting for a while. Has a large rototiller attachment (50-60"), york rake, and a few other pieces. Anyone have experience with them? From Tractor Data I see it was made in USA, has about 40 hp, and weighs around 3000 lbs. A lot heavier than my 9020s, but not too much larger. I don't need it for anything, but was wondering if there is an aftermarket following for them like our tractors? I like the looks of it, and even though I won't have time to work on it, I might be interested in acquiring it if the price is right for later use. Best regards. John.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
B112 Posted - 05/30/2013 : 05:01:02
Dave those are some classic rigs. I've seen only one tractor collector come in with an old rig. Great pictures and information. Thanks!
skunkhome Posted - 05/29/2013 : 21:15:43
Back when I worked for ABF we had 45' vans designed to pull behind a single screw tractor. The trailer was in the fleet to handle goods too long for the 28' pups that had become standard. They had a set of tandems with a third axle some 10 ft forward. From the stand point of an operations manager it was a real trick to get loaded with a full load to keep from blowing your load average without overloading any one axle. I hated them. The third axle was normally sprung and could not be lifted or steered. when fully loaded they were a bear to back to the dock and the road drivers complained of higher than normal steering effort. the tires on the forward axle were always scuffed on the sidewalls.

Back to the subject, are you getting the Ford 3000?
Jed2155 Posted - 05/29/2013 : 20:47:18
What's in there liquid lead?? It doesn't look too much longer than a normal tanker. Might be bigger diameter. Most drop axles they run around here are steerable. Id say those would have to be at 100k. Dont see more than 3 drops or 16 wheels total, mostly coal haulers around here.
B10Dave Posted - 05/29/2013 : 20:43:50
Phil; they steer Ok for the number of axles. As you can see in Michaels pics link, 5 of the 8 axles are liftable. All 5 could also be self steering when down and under load. The truck I drive has only one lift axle and it must be up to turn at intersections etc. Some have the steerable lift axle and it only needs to come up when reversing. I drove one of these three trucks ago and the third axle lifted automatically when trans was put in reverse. Idiot proof!!!
Michael; I have also seen eight axle flat decks in Mich. hauling steel.

Here are some pics of Michigan trucks. As you can see Mich. has had 8 axle trailers since the sixties. The Dodge cabover is from around 1967. It is a two trailer combination with a tandem dolly for second 5th wheel. Loaded unit has 50 tires on the road....Dave

Cvans Posted - 05/29/2013 : 10:41:37
Looks like a lot of tire scuffing in the turns to me. I have seen where the front load carrying axles have steering to help save wear on the tires.
skunkhome Posted - 05/28/2013 : 23:49:16
How do you steer something like that? The tire scrubbing must be terrible. I see the trandem axles with the third axle separated from the leading tandem and they actually burn rubber going around tight turns.
B112 Posted - 05/28/2013 : 21:18:52
John- for now I'd like to know how much truck and trailer I could drive to pickup equipment either on loan or a unique machine I might want. Excellent advise though.

Dave- So I was seeing something unique. I was in Waren MI for a while and saw those; asked some folks at work and they said they didn't see anything different in those MI trucks. I definitely noticed them. From my google research, I realize it looks mostly like MI and maybe OH, but that's a tough search. The max weight on some threads sounded like 164,000 and one claimed 198,000. It was all in how many axles you had. Below is a link which has some pictures of these trucks.

http://carrytransit.wordpress.com/2012/10/26/what-has-8-axles-and-hauls/
B10Dave Posted - 05/28/2013 : 19:24:19
Michael. Those eight axle Michigan trailers are legal only in Mich. When they cross the border to Ont. they can only put six axles in road contact. Over here if we want to carry more weight we go to a super "B" train setup. Tandem axle tractor, triple axle lead trailer with rear fifth wheel and triple axle rear trailer. With proper axle spacing and tire size/air suspension some are licensed for upwards of 160,000 lbs....Dave
MorePower Posted - 05/28/2013 : 09:45:03
Michael,
Here's a thought for you. Do you need a 210c to do the work you want to do? Since you are borrowing it, you probably just want to use it for a project and then be done with it. I ask this because I bought a Gehl 6625 skidsteer 12 years ago, and it has been fantastic and more power than even I can use. I usually run it at just off idle for most jobs because of all the extra power - 60 hp, 2100 lb front lift, weighs 6700 lbs. Easy to transport by trailer, and can do what bigger machines can do in a little longer time. Just a thought, you might not need a TLB, but if it is a friend's loaner for a one-use and done then best to figure a way to transport the 210. Best regards. John.
B112 Posted - 05/28/2013 : 09:31:25
John-thanks, I'll be asking because as I was stating, I seem to find bigger tractors cheaper just because no one can move them. Michael
MorePower Posted - 05/28/2013 : 08:09:14
Hello Michael,
If you had a 6-ton trailer with a pintle hitch, good brakes, and the 210c, you would be around 15,000 lbs; plus a good C-F-D 3500 1-ton dump truck of about 8,000 lbs, you should be OK. Bigger truck is better. On paper it works, but double check with your local RMV to make sure. Best regards. John.
B112 Posted - 05/27/2013 : 22:16:40
A JD 210C is 10,500 lbs. That's the machine I'd want to borrow, think we can move that without a CDL? I had a trailer which was lengthened and it would wag the dog; had some scary rides. Learned to increase tongue weight and it would not happen.

Dave that's a some weight. In Detroit they have eight axle Tractor-Trailers, nothing like what we see in the East. I wonder if those are coming in from Canada.
B10Dave Posted - 05/27/2013 : 21:01:52
Phil; truck and pup trailer weigh about 19,800 kg or 42,500 lbs. empty. Combo is actually licensed for 56,000 kg or 123,200 lbs max....Dave
skunkhome Posted - 05/27/2013 : 18:04:29
quote:
Originally posted by B10Dave

Came off the scale at the sand pit grossing 53,200 KG [ 117,040 lbs ] on Friday morning. You guys are talking lightweight stuff....Dave

What was your tare?
olcowhand Posted - 05/27/2013 : 16:59:51
A trailer "tail wagging" almost always is from not enough tongue weight, or in other words, too much weight behind the trailer axle. Whenever a trailer tail wags, stop, shift more load to the front of the trailer, then proceed.

Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) © Michael's Tractors 2006-2019 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1