Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) Active Users: 307 / Visits Today: 307
Highest Active Users: 307
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors)
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Other Tractors, Attachments and other projects
 Other Garden Tractors
 trouble strikes

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Click here to attach a photo to your post

T O P I C    R E V I E W
skunkhome Posted - 12/20/2008 : 00:40:52
I was out sweeping leaves this morning on my Kubota. Typically the tractor has a very tight turning radius but this morning I noticed that the tractor only turned about half as tight turning left as it used to and when I turned right it seemed to turn tighter than ever. I thought it might have a sheared pin or a bent drag link but I got off and examined the steering and found everything in order. I was still pondering the problem as I continued to sweep up the last of the leaves I had mulched when I looked down and noticed that the left hand axle end was out of position about an inch further forward than it was supposed to be. Rats! It turns out that I have a broken axle. The axle assembly is a deep inverted channel with a huge center tube. The rear flange of the channel cracked just to the left of the pivot tube.

The tube accepts a hollow center pin which contains the front PTO shaft. (I believe that is similar to the Sunstar setup) It appears that there is enough clearance on the frame to allow a scab to be welded on the back of the channel to reinforce the axle. The exploded drawings of the parts manual make it look like the disassembly is simple but you never can tell. Don't know yet if the PTO shaft has to be removed first or if it will come out with the pivot pin. I fear it might be like everything else on the tractor (not easy to work on even if you can see what you are doing. I removed the mower (a 30 minute job) and parked it in the shed until time is available to dig into it.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
skunkhome Posted - 03/16/2009 : 00:16:24
JD came by today and we spent a couple of hours applying heat and pressure with no positive results. I am totally stumped by this thing. We had the frame red hot and I put as much pressure on the thing as I felt I could and it did not give even a little. I am about ready to sell the darn thing on ebay and be done with it. It is incredible haw badly things can get screwed up by total abject neglect.
olcowhand Posted - 03/07/2009 : 21:00:23
Gonna get with the welder soon?
skunkhome Posted - 03/01/2009 : 14:52:30
Well the meeting with my welder did not happen this week. I had a appointment to take it to him on Wednesday afternoon but after postponing a repair job on a pool house (all day job) so that I would have the afternoon free I call him up only to find that he was not available.
skunkhome Posted - 02/22/2009 : 12:31:00
quote:
Originally posted by olcowhand

Ah! This saga will be ended soon! I'm sure he'll get that off & welded up for you Phil. Remember to update!

would not have been a saga if I knew what I was doing
olcowhand Posted - 02/22/2009 : 09:45:33
Ah! This saga will be ended soon! I'm sure he'll get that off & welded up for you Phil. Remember to update!
skunkhome Posted - 02/21/2009 : 22:17:56
This coming Wednesday I am supposed to be meeting with a welder who has done work for me at the school.
skunkhome Posted - 02/11/2009 : 18:36:04
quote:

Can you pry the seal out?

I suppose I should just count it lost... It did not look particularly good to begin with. I suppose the local dealer can provide one.
olcowhand Posted - 02/11/2009 : 16:24:12
I suppose that might get hot enough, but that seal will likely be destroyed either way. The bearing should come out fine, but will need cleaning. Can you pry the seal out?
skunkhome Posted - 02/11/2009 : 09:32:07
Done have oxy/acet, suppose propane torch with MAPP gas would work? I'm just concerned about the seal and bearing at the rear.
olcowhand Posted - 02/11/2009 : 09:09:35
I'd say rust at the rear is all that's holding it. I'd put a lot of pressure on your puller, then heat the rear plate with oxy/acet torch. I'd bet she'd come free with ample heat.
skunkhome Posted - 02/10/2009 : 22:14:52
I guess I am right to assume the only thing holding this support in is supposed to be the 4 cap screws I removed.

I guess that only thing holding this thing together is the is the rust and grime which I have been soaking and tapping with a drilling hammer. In fear of damaging the end of the "pin" I decided to stop pounding on it. today I rigged up a puller with 1/2" all thread using oak and a crossbar of Peruvian alder. I thghtened it down and was pleased to see the gap open (red arrow) but furthered noticed that the gap between the frame and axle (green arrow) had closed. Rats all I was doing was bending the frame.

I put some washers between the frame and the axle to prevent the frame from moving. I then proceeded to retighten and heard a loud pop. I was pleased thinking I had broken the pen loose but it turned out that it was just my Peruvian Alder cracking. I added another piece of red oak over the top and tightened it as much as I could, but nothing is giving.

I decided I would leave the pressure on and soak it again with JB Blaster. I fear I may damage the frame. Should I try my impact wrench? I do think I need to try finding a small bottle of penetrating oil and do the trick with the grease gun Daniel suggested. Hard to find anything but aerosols.

olcowhand Posted - 02/02/2009 : 05:29:40
Doing fair. Getting rest is the main problem. I'm not working 24/7, but you can't make the brain quit working. Stressful here to say the least. Trying to keep my sense of humor to keep my sanity. The telephone can be your worst enemy at times, but I need it just the same.
Gotta start on the fences today. Went into the main woods yesterday, or should I say up to them. NO way to get a 4 wheeler or even hardly walk into them....limbs & trees down EVERYWHERE, piled high upon themselves! Already worries going round with forestry officials for coming year of dangers of forest fires due to all the "fuel" on the ground. They say it would burn so hot that ALL the trees would be decimated. Word down the pipe that I might be two MORE weeks without power. Gonna cost us plenty just to generate AC for the dairy. Just what we need with falling milk price. Oh well, been there before.
skunkhome Posted - 02/01/2009 : 21:09:29
quote:

Hey Phil....I have the solution to your problem! You come up here & milk these cows till power comes back online. You'll have gen power. I will come down your way & repair your Kubota. Win win situation!

how many head are you willing to loose or have go dry on you in that deal? BTW how are you faring?
olcowhand Posted - 02/01/2009 : 21:00:30
Hey Phil....I have the solution to your problem! You come up here & milk these cows till power comes back online. You'll have gen power. I will come down your way & repair your Kubota. Win win situation!
Roy Posted - 02/01/2009 : 20:54:53
"I reach up to put it on the nail and hanging on another nail not 6 inches to the left is the other "C" clip tool I spent so much time looking for yesterday."

I do that!!!!!!!!

Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) © Michael's Tractors 2006-2019 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1