Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) Active Users: 2253 / Visits Today: 2253
Highest Active Users: 2253
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors)
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Information
 The Tractor and Attachment Gallery
 B-1 Special Delivery
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Talntedmrgreen

USA
4110 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2014 :  10:36:33  Show Profile  Visit Talntedmrgreen's Homepage Send Talntedmrgreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thought I would share a new arrival, and permanent fixture to the stable...a very nice, unmolested B-1 that came to me via trade last week. If you visit LaPorte for the AC Centennial Celebration, this will surely be there.

Best I can tell, everything is original, including the seat, tires, paint, etc. The orange light mounts stand out a bit, but are OEM Simplicity (the dealer is still a Simplicity dealer today, since 1938). It's actually quite dirty, and I think the yellow will pop a bit better when I'm able to give it a wash, sometime about 3 months from now. =]

I'm told it was part of a large old GT collection, and was the PO's only AC. I took it in, in exchange for a Massey Sweepster setup I had listed for sale, being told that it had no compression, and hadn't ran in 30 years (or more). It looked nice and straight, and I've been trying for a nice B-1 for a few years now. I finally pulled the trigger...the other party offered to make the drive up fron Southern IN, sweetening the deal.

I had some time during our last heat wave on Sunday, and decided to pop the head, hoping for a stuck valve. I gave it a crank first with my thumb over the plug hole, and felt excellent compression. I cleaned up the head and valves a bit, but everything looked great. A swipe or three through the points with some fine sandpaper gave me good spark. The fuel line was crusty and pinched, so I replaced that, filled with fuel, and it fired right up!

Here's my boy directing a clip of the B-1 during my carb tuning process.

http://my.gfs.com/itemMaintenance/lookupVendorsByItem.do?itemCode=562420&itemMaintArea=Vendors

It ran so nice I thought I'd try the 'low idle' test...I get a kick out of getting these old Briggs singles to putt-putt-putt real low. This one did pretty good...it could probably idle lower yet. I'm thrilled! The mower deck even works great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSkczCP1OyQ

I do have some B-1 literature, but never had the machine to go with it!

cschmidt62

USA
560 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2014 :  10:59:14  Show Profile  Visit cschmidt62's Homepage Send cschmidt62 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great looking machine! Even has the bolt together deck. Those model 19 engines will really purr when they are tuned right.

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity
Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12824 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2014 :  11:06:28  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
wow! NICE.

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

Talntedmrgreen

USA
4110 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2014 :  11:44:56  Show Profile  Visit Talntedmrgreen's Homepage Send Talntedmrgreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's the very first machine I have had with the original plastic dust caps as well. So many little things about it make it so neat, IMO. I hadn't realized the armrests on the B-1's were black either...usually the armrests on the B series seats are narly or have been replaced, and so I thought these were redone at first. But, I do see in the brochures that the original armrests were black. I had never noticed before.

The steering and shifter are super sticky, and I have been working some lube into them. The steering was a bit off-center, so I loosened the gears and hopped things over one tooth to realign. There's virtually no wear whatsoever in the steering components. I'm a fan of the early, round gear steering. I feel they hold up better and I like the ratio.

Go to Top of Page

Talntedmrgreen

USA
4110 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2014 :  11:48:14  Show Profile  Visit Talntedmrgreen's Homepage Send Talntedmrgreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
...ALSO(!), I received word from a fellow tractor-nut, that he has a grill badge for me. I'll be watching for that in the mail soon. It will be frosting on the cake. There are witness marks in the grill, from where one was present, but they are tough to see.

Go to Top of Page

B112

USA
5227 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2014 :  14:27:24  Show Profile  Visit B112's Homepage Send B112 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice find! Looking forward to seeing the restoration.

Michael
Go to Top of Page

A-C 1036_B-10

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2014 :  14:51:08  Show Profile Send A-C 1036_B-10 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow that's a really nice original and it's even better since you have some brochures to go with it

Go to Top of Page

Talntedmrgreen

USA
4110 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2014 :  21:39:48  Show Profile  Visit Talntedmrgreen's Homepage Send Talntedmrgreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No restoration here...I'm charmed by it's condition. It needs a bath and some lube...maybe a light buffing. It would be tempting to make it match my B-1 loader, and let it wear that, like in the brochure above, but I think I have to leave it original. I think it needs to wear a forklift attachment. =]

That's my goal for 2014.

My badge arrived today, so the B-1 is complete again!

I had to do some suffling, cuz I need room to get the snow movers in and out, but I fit the old girl into the lineup! I'd like to find some cheap pallet rack material, for a second tier above that wall on the right, to put small frame tractors above the others.

Go to Top of Page

B-16_IC

USA
2823 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2014 :  21:40:05  Show Profile  Visit B-16_IC's Homepage Send B-16_IC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is sure a creampuff! Definitely clean for it's age. You sure can find them Josh!

Life is all about paying. Pay attention, or pay the consequences, the choice is yours. Rich
Go to Top of Page

Talntedmrgreen

USA
4110 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2014 :  21:50:55  Show Profile  Visit Talntedmrgreen's Homepage Send Talntedmrgreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll be honest, they find me. Guy sends me a text and says, "Want this B-1? I'll deliver it." There's only one answer to that!

Go to Top of Page

lilypad

USA
638 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2014 :  00:59:38  Show Profile  Visit lilypad's Homepage Send lilypad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice rig. Now the $64 question: Doesn't it object to being touched by Craftsman gloves?

RLM
Go to Top of Page

mikeman

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2014 :  13:35:59  Show Profile Send mikeman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like it, that sure is a nice one.
Forklift Huh?
Go to Top of Page

Talntedmrgreen

USA
4110 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2014 :  13:42:32  Show Profile  Visit Talntedmrgreen's Homepage Send Talntedmrgreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lilypad

Nice rig. Now the $64 question: Doesn't it object to being touched by Craftsman gloves?

Haha..no, it didn't seem to mind the gloves. I get a couple pair each Christmas from my MIL. I like them...use them for everything. Good dexterity.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) © Michael's Tractors 2006-2019 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1
end of topic