Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) Active Users: 2223 / Visits Today: 400
Highest Active Users: 2223
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors)
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Other Tractors, Attachments and other projects
 Other Garden Tractors
 Helping a neighbor.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

skunkhome

USA
12826 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2013 :  18:09:56  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I was out mowing my yard today my neighbor came across he street and asked me if I would come look at her mower that was new but she had not been able to get it to start. I said, "sure" so she said she would come knock on the door when she got back home. When I came in the house from putting my tractor away Jann greets me with a set of keys. The neighbor had come to the door and left her keys before leaving. Great! So her mower doesn't work but I don't know what the problem is. Secondly I have no operators manual. I tool one look at the key and noticed that it was twisted like a cork screw. My first thought is that she had a malfunctioning interlock switch or just a dead battery. I checked the oil, the air cleaner and the fuel tank and all seemed to be in order. Not having a manual I figured the best bet was simply to make sure the PTO was off, the brake was set, the transmission was in neutral and that I was sitting in the seat. I tried the key and the starter immediately engaged but couldn't turn the engine over. I looked down and saw a light flashing for the battery so I figured the battery must be dead. I went home and got my charger and with it hooked up I checked the battery light and it was out so I figured I was on the right track. I let the battery charge for about an hour and returned to try her out. It cranked up immediately.

I took it out and mowed part of her front yard just to see if there was anything else that was wrong. I took a few attempts for me to figure out what it takes to mow with it in reverse but I am soon was cutting away. With its tight turning radius and foot controlled hydro transmission it was fun to drive, but....... Though the mower deck had impressive suction the cut was extremely uneven. The tractor has a 22 hp Kohler Courage but for the life of me I can't figure it out where they are.
]
We must have horse thieves in the neighborhood as it seemed to fall short. I figured the engine was supposed to runn at WOT while powering the mower but I found that I really had to creep along to keep it from bogging down.
At one point I had backed it off to about 3/4 throttle while I studied how to mow in reverse. I forgot and tried to mow with it and it protested with loud knocking. The engine really has no reserve torque. I am going to go back over and make sure my neighbor knows how to make it work properly. BTW there are only 5 hours on the meter.

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin

Edited by - skunkhome on 10/06/2013 18:10:52

skunkhome

USA
12826 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2013 :  20:17:23  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, gee! When he neighbor got home she tried to mow the front lawn and the tractor started cutting out and quit. It sounded like it was starving for fuel. The tank was getting a little low on fuel so it could be that there just isn't enough head to keep the gas flowing. It appears to have no fuel pump. I told her we need to get some more gas and see if it makes a difference. If not I need to help her get it to an authorized service center. Nearest one is about 20 miles away. Great. I finished cutting her front lawn with Sweet Allis.

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2013 :  21:36:47  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's a good thing to help others, but always comes at a price, either your time, money, or both.

Daniel in Ky -- So much to do, so little time!

Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2013 :  21:37:27  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by olcowhand

It's a good thing to help others, but always comes at a price, either your time, money, or both. But we were raised to do so.

Daniel in Ky -- So much to do, so little time!

Go to Top of Page

Cvans

USA
4406 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2013 :  22:00:28  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hope you can get the problem resolved before you regret being involved.

East Central South Dakota

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12826 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2013 :  07:23:08  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not going to do anything with a machine still under warranty. I'm already regretting it. She or her family bought it at Kohns. They delivered it, ran it for two minutes and left. The neighbor wasn't able to get it to run so they came out cleaned the carb bowl and got it running then left. It has not run right since and has never kept it running long enough to finish mowing her yard.

Phil

Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) © Michael's Tractors 2006-2019 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1
end of topic