Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) Active Users: 2667 / Visits Today: 34
Highest Active Users: 2667
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors)
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Information
 The Tractor and Attachment Gallery
 WD-45
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SimplicitySwede

USA
379 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2013 :  21:28:14  Show Profile  Visit SimplicitySwede's Homepage Send SimplicitySwede a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So I have kinda started my own business I think. I been working on a Farmall H that I have been restoring for a guy. Well my dad works with a guy who wanted his WD-45 painted. He told me its been sitting in a shed for bout 8 years. I told him I could do it. Which included I had to get it running. Well he winched it on a trailer and dropped it off at my house. Well My buddy and I were looking at it. Im a Farmall guy and know nothing about AC. I asked him if he wanted to try and get it running? hes like sure. I said 1st things 1st. Grabbed the hand crank and went to turn it over. Wouldnt budge. Great. Pulled the plugs corrosion on number 2. Shined a light in the plug hole and saw rust. Yup shes stuck solid. I called the guy and he said he wanted to overhaul it. So thats what ill be doin. I may have a few ?s for you guys here. 1st off whats the best way to pull an engine outta a 45? Heres some pics

http://s1172.photobucket.com/user/SimplicitySwede/library/Toys/Allis%20Chalmers%20WD45%202nd%20Customer%20Dan%20Carson?sort=3&page=1

skunkhome

USA
12827 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2013 :  21:57:53  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought they used to do the overhauls in frame. I believe the cylinders have wet sleeves. I think they are still available if honing won't correct.

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

Cvans

USA
4406 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2013 :  22:10:06  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm with Phil, just do it in the tractor. If you have to pull the engine I think you can do it without splitting the tractor as it has a full length frame..
I had two WC's but never had an engine problem. Somewhere around here I still have a factory service manual for Allis tractors but I'll have to see if yours is in there.

East Central South Dakota

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12827 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2013 :  22:19:31  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Check the internet. You should be able to find complete kits for in frame overhaul.

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

SimplicitySwede

USA
379 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2013 :  03:08:35  Show Profile  Visit SimplicitySwede's Homepage Send SimplicitySwede a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't checked the crank yet. That will be the deciding factor. But new sleeves is a must. I figured it was dry sleeve tho
Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12827 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2013 :  07:04:59  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are those flat top pistons? I thought the WD45 had power crater pistons. I wonder if it was rebuilt with WC pistons to boost hp.

Phil

Benjamin Franklin

Edited by - skunkhome on 08/05/2013 07:05:27
Go to Top of Page

Denny

348 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2013 :  08:33:55  Show Profile  Visit Denny's Homepage Send Denny a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Definitely do it in the frame,,, we overhauled a 45 once,,, out in the field ,,, cracked the head, seized one piston,,, 6 hours later, up and disking again.

Early B10
67 Bee10
68 B16HD 112 Loader
68 B112 L112
68 B112
4041 Power Max
Go to Top of Page

Cvans

USA
4406 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2013 :  09:12:02  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Definitely do it in the frame,,, we overhauled a 45 once,,, out in the field ,,, cracked the head, seized one piston,,, 6 hours later, up and disking again

Now you know for sure it can be done. This would save you a lot of time if the crankshaft seals are good.

East Central South Dakota

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

SimplicitySwede

USA
379 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2013 :  13:08:46  Show Profile  Visit SimplicitySwede's Homepage Send SimplicitySwede a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This tractor I think is 2 tractors in one. It has WD45 features but also has a few WD features. I think the engine is a WD. One thing I See though is. The outta frame kit is not much more than the in frame kit. In a way I think the best thing to do it all. Then I know everything was done to it. Ill decide when I get the pan pulled off the bottom of it, then Ill know what to do.
Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12827 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2013 :  07:19:42  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well if the stroke is 4" the engine is from a WD or WC. If its 4.5" is WD45 or even D17. D17 has larger journals and mains.

Phil

Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

SimplicitySwede

USA
379 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2013 :  15:57:51  Show Profile  Visit SimplicitySwede's Homepage Send SimplicitySwede a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The difference I noticed is the WD has a plate bolted to the side of the block for lifters. The 45 doesnt. Im amazed by the ratio of weight to HP to theses things. The need to weigh a little more in my book.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) © Michael's Tractors 2006-2019 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1
end of topic