Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) Active Users: 1345 / Visits Today: 1345
Highest Active Users: 1345
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors)
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Information
 The Tractor and Attachment Gallery
 B-10 gears grinding
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

superbinder

214 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2013 :  21:16:37  Show Profile Send superbinder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My tiller b-10 tractor grinds gears so bad, I have to hit the switch to almost kill it, jab it in gear then turn it back on to shift it.The belt looks right, the split pully works. Everything looks like the B-10 loader tractor, which shifts good.What do you think?

skunkhome

USA
12827 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2013 :  21:55:10  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would warn against "jamming" into gear. It think that is probably the major contributing factor in the shifting peg popping out of the shifting forks. I am thinking there is one or more of the following things going on.
1) wrong belt, wrong length, wrong profile, is the belt wrapped or bare?
2) belt guard at BGB too "tight" prevent belt from being released
3) belt guard at BGB too "loose" failing to catch belt

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

B112

USA
5229 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2013 :  22:46:15  Show Profile  Visit B112's Homepage Send B112 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are you sure your BGB is not grinding?

Michael
Go to Top of Page

Denny

348 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2013 :  06:30:06  Show Profile  Visit Denny's Homepage Send Denny a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hint,, put it in neutral,, adjust everything untill the belt will completely stop when the pedal is depressed. This includes brake, clutch rod, and belt guards. If the belt is moving, It will grind.

Early B10
67 Bee10
68 B16HD 112 Loader
68 B112 L112
68 B112
4041 Power Max
Go to Top of Page

sammiefish

USA
649 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2013 :  08:23:58  Show Profile  Visit sammiefish's Homepage Send sammiefish a Private Message  Reply with Quote
like Denny and Phil are getting at... there are two things going on when you push the clutch/brake pedal

1) loosening of the tension pulley when depressing the clutch/brake pedal
2) tightening of the brake band on the brake "drum" to stop the transmission from spinning.

On my 310 my brake band is worn and out of adjustment so even though the belt is slack... the transmission
continues to spin for 10 - 15 seconds.... If I wait for it to stop spinning then I don't get any grinding.

like the guys said... I too would check the adjustments and the brake band

Chris 3/4's : )
Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12827 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2013 :  09:24:21  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Denny and Chris, you are right. A maladjusted brake band can be the root of all your issues. I forgot first start off with the brake band and make sure it is not too tight. If too tight it can prevent the clutch from traveling all the way. I had a tractor that where they apparently couldn't stop the tractor and they tightened the brake so much then actually bent the pedal and broke the shaft tube away from the frame standing on the brake trying to get it to stop. Backed the brake off and the clutch started releasing and the tractor would stop when you pressed the brake.

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin

Edited by - skunkhome on 05/24/2013 09:26:30
Go to Top of Page

superbinder

214 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2013 :  20:44:22  Show Profile Send superbinder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have not had a chance to try any ideas yet due to mowing, which is the idea of putting a mower deck on one of my allis tractors. I want to see first hand the nice mowing job they are supposed to do.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) © Michael's Tractors 2006-2019 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1
end of topic