Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) Active Users: 5558 / Visits Today: 1461
Highest Active Users: 5558
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors)
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Information
 The Tractor and Attachment Gallery
 Gannon Earthcavator Redo
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Talntedmrgreen

USA
4110 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2012 :  08:55:04  Show Profile  Visit Talntedmrgreen's Homepage Send Talntedmrgreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's a project that has been a while in the making. I had been watching for one of these, pretty much nation-wide for quite some time. I had found a 36" unit in Oregon, but the seller did not want to ship. Most I've found are for a Sears style 3pt, or are the big Cat1 version.

Then, a month or two back, out of the blue, I was offered this unit in Indiana, and after 7 hours in the truck, was home with it. It was missing the rippers, but the PO sent me home with one NOS ripper shank, and a set of new teeth. I search LONG and hard for shanks, but had no luck from any dealer, manufacturer or supplier/distributor I contacted. So, I proceeded with sandblasting and painting while putting out feelers for fabrication of replacement shanks. I had some local response, but that fizzled and no one seemed interested in the job.

THEN...my saving grace on the project! Member, Jon314, offered to give it a shot. He has produced some excellent reproduction HiLo parts, as well as plastic molded shift and PTO knobs. (I will post on those soon, I highly remommend his products) I felt bad troubling him, but the project took off, and I now have a box of shanks! I also had decals made up by clickitandstickit, and will be applying those soon as well. I would like to make some new cutting edges, but the old one's will go back on for now.

I'm hoping to mount it up tonite, and probably throw the decals and mfg tag back on. It's a heavy beast, so we'll see how the hydrolift gets along...more to come! =]

Some old pics from literature...

Talntedmrgreen

USA
4110 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2012 :  20:36:04  Show Profile  Visit Talntedmrgreen's Homepage Send Talntedmrgreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, it hitched up nice and works GREAT! This is one heck of an implement. I can't imagine why something like this isn't made today for consumers.

It ripped through about 4" of sod with no issue...the tractor, however, needs some weight to maintain traction. I have 10.5" AG's and 50# weight. I can rip to about 2-3" in the sod, then the tractor will buck. I'd like to try it in dirt or gravel.

Here's the retention rod and a new shank with tooth crimped on.

The position adjuster between box blade and ripper positions

The Simplicity style hitch

Should be fun, and very useful. Already kicks the snot out of my Agrifab box I used last year. Next I'll add the cutting edges and decals.

Edited by - Talntedmrgreen on 05/02/2012 20:36:31
Go to Top of Page

swisstool

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2012 :  20:37:04  Show Profile  Visit swisstool's Homepage Send swisstool a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's an awesome attachment. I bought a house in Florida and I need something like that to grade away from the house for better drainage. Since they're so hard to find, do you think you could post some dimensions of the steel used in case I want to try to fabricate one?
Go to Top of Page

acb10_64

USA
801 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2012 :  20:53:34  Show Profile  Visit acb10_64's Homepage Send acb10_64 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks great Josh! Looking forward to more pics.

Wes

2 1964 Allis Chalmers B-10's

Go to Top of Page

Talntedmrgreen

USA
4110 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2012 :  21:02:46  Show Profile  Visit Talntedmrgreen's Homepage Send Talntedmrgreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks! Yeah, I can post all the dimensions you want. I'll have to take some pics, and add them in. My drawing is worse than a caveman...

Go to Top of Page

swisstool

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2012 :  22:37:07  Show Profile  Visit swisstool's Homepage Send swisstool a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Josh, I just found this link for the shanks and other parts still available from Woods. http://www.messicks.com/WO/1110.aspx
Hope that helps anyone else interested in them.
Go to Top of Page

Talntedmrgreen

USA
4110 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2012 :  04:43:14  Show Profile  Visit Talntedmrgreen's Homepage Send Talntedmrgreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, but despite the fact that the parts are listed as available, they are not. The Woods parts system still has not been updated to show them as NLA. Messick's was acctually the first dealer I tried....then came countless others, including manufacurers and distributors. Noone could find even one or two old stock shanks. I bet I put 3-4 weeks just into calling new places to inquire on the part #. H&L actually stopped producing them years ago...the Woods pipline has since run dry.

Go to Top of Page

sammiefish

USA
649 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2012 :  08:00:50  Show Profile  Visit sammiefish's Homepage Send sammiefish a Private Message  Reply with Quote
wow, thats great!! that would be the perfect thing for the pot holes in my stone driveway!!
cool!

Chris 3/4's : )
Go to Top of Page

swisstool

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2012 :  08:41:04  Show Profile  Visit swisstool's Homepage Send swisstool a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just watched a youtube video of one in action. That is one cool attachment.
Go to Top of Page

Talntedmrgreen

USA
4110 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2012 :  09:58:01  Show Profile  Visit Talntedmrgreen's Homepage Send Talntedmrgreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm hoping to find a suitable surface and a willing accomplis to do the recording, and make a video of my own. I am extremely suprised by how well the hydrolift works the unit. It's a heavy thing, and I never have found a point where the lift wouldn't do a job. The hitching for this must work very well, as the Earthcavator lifts faster and easier than my tiller, but I think it squats the tires a bit more.

Go to Top of Page

Talntedmrgreen

USA
4110 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2012 :  20:34:20  Show Profile  Visit Talntedmrgreen's Homepage Send Talntedmrgreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's a few more pictures, now that she's wrapped up! Turned out real nice. I had a fellow tractor nut, traveling through from North Dakota, stop by tonite, and he was suprised by just how heavily built this implement is.

Go to Top of Page

B-16_IC

USA
2823 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2012 :  23:00:15  Show Profile  Visit B-16_IC's Homepage Send B-16_IC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That sure turned out nice! Honestly Josh, is there any implements you still have on the wish list? You've done well piecing together an arsenol!

Life is all about paying. Pay attention, or pay the consequences, the choice is yours. Rich
Go to Top of Page

split51

USA
454 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2012 :  23:01:37  Show Profile Send split51 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow!!! Very cool implement. Thanks for showing it..... One more piece on my want list now. LOL
Go to Top of Page

Talntedmrgreen

USA
4110 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2012 :  05:14:33  Show Profile  Visit Talntedmrgreen's Homepage Send Talntedmrgreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm very pleased with the results. It sure was a rusty beast when I picked it up. No telling how long it had sat in the attachment pile outside the PO's house. It was actually frozen about 3" into the ground, and we hooked a strap to it from my truck and yanked it free. I wondered if I had wasted a drive, but it still functioned, and now I couldn't be happier!

Special thanks again to Jon, who made the use of it possible. That man is a talented fabricator!

Go to Top of Page

cschmidt62

USA
560 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2012 :  11:00:36  Show Profile  Visit cschmidt62's Homepage Send cschmidt62 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by B-16_IC

That sure turned out nice! Honestly Josh, is there any implements you still have on the wish list? You've done well piecing together an arsenol!

Hey Josh....there is a trencher coming up for aution in ohio...LOL
http://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin/auctionview.cgi?lid=1409174&kwd=&zip=45822&category=0

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity
Go to Top of Page

B112

USA
5227 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2012 :  11:41:32  Show Profile  Visit B112's Homepage Send B112 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Beautiful restoration of that tool. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Michael
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) © Michael's Tractors 2006-2019 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1
end of topic