Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) Active Users: 2413 / Visits Today: 2413
Highest Active Users: 2413
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors)
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Information
 The Tractor and Attachment Gallery
 B 10 Plowin
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mack

USA
204 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2012 :  11:17:39  Show Profile  Visit Mack's Homepage Send Mack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Picked up this Allis plow the other day. The previous owner evidently had the plow set where he liked it as there were welds on both sides where it pivots! After a little cutting and grinding I freed it up. Not having much experience plowing with a foot dragger I decided I would give it a try. Set up in the garage before heading out to the garden. Took a few passes in first gear full throttle, too slow, had to really lean to the land side to keep from losing traction. Second gear full throttle was just a bit too fast. Dropped back to just under three quarter throttle and seemed to be about right. Still had a little traction problem on the land side but did well enough for my trial. Overall, it worked well. I had to stop at the end of the furrows and back up a bit to raise the plow with the armstrong lift even with the front counter weight so I think I will stick to the hydro or electric lifts for plowing!

Mack

Edited by - Mack on 04/18/2012 19:58:54

cschmidt62

USA
560 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2012 :  13:28:06  Show Profile  Visit cschmidt62's Homepage Send cschmidt62 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks like it done a mighty fine job!

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity
Go to Top of Page

Talntedmrgreen

USA
4110 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2012 :  14:45:53  Show Profile  Visit Talntedmrgreen's Homepage Send Talntedmrgreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now that's what I was talkin' about mack! Very nice! Did a great job 'saving' that plow and it looks like the B cuts a nice furrow. I'm a bit more excited now to give mine a try, but need to find a place to do it =]

Do you find you have adequate steering control with the skinny tri ribs and the front weight (counter and wheel)? I've only steered a plow with diamond treads and no weight at all. Sounds like your speed preference was also about what I found the tractor liked. Hydro lift definitely spoils a guy. About the only thing I don't mind armstrong'n these days on Jon's old 101 is the mower deck! =]

Curious if you find that the adjustment on the plow moves on it's own? I've noticed mine is very free to move, and figure I'll need to tie it off to keep it from turning when it's vibrating while in use. Perhaps that's what the PO got the welder fired up over?

Go to Top of Page

Mack

USA
204 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2012 :  16:12:58  Show Profile  Visit Mack's Homepage Send Mack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Josh, the front stayed down and steered good with the weights. I would have liked to of had a few more wheel weights hanging off the landside rear. As far as the adjusting rod. I think I'll be putting a nut behind the clevis so I can lock it down once it is set to the soil conditions that I'm plowing in.

Mack
Go to Top of Page

Talntedmrgreen

USA
4110 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2012 :  16:32:10  Show Profile  Visit Talntedmrgreen's Homepage Send Talntedmrgreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mack

As far as the adjusting rod. I think I'll be putting a nut behind the clevis so I can lock it down once it is set to the soil conditions that I'm plowing in.

Yup, I like that idea better!

Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2012 :  17:37:53  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The one pic appears like you "may" be plowing a little deep. The rule of thumb is 1/2 as deep as your cutting width, so a 10" plow should run around 5" deep. Hard to tell by the pic, but still, a great job plowing. Isn't plowing fun! No more for me till Fall.

Daniel in Ky -- So much to do, so little time!

Go to Top of Page

Mack

USA
204 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2012 :  19:54:24  Show Profile  Visit Mack's Homepage Send Mack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by olcowhand

The one pic appears like you "may" be plowing a little deep. The rule of thumb is 1/2 as deep as your cutting width, so a 10" plow should run around 5" deep.

Yeah, the railroad tie I used to set the plow is 6" so I am likely deep.

Mack
Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12824 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2012 :  20:46:55  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by olcowhand

The one pic appears like you "may" be plowing a little deep. The rule of thumb is 1/2 as deep as your cutting width, so a 10" plow should run around 5" deep. Hard to tell by the pic, but still, a great job plowing. Isn't plowing fun! No more for me till Fall.

I TOO thought that to be the case but not being a real farmer I did not want to say. I see people writing that they run 6-7 inches with a 10" but supposedly that is what a 12" is supposed to do. Hard to keep any traction when the tractor is that far over center.

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) © Michael's Tractors 2006-2019 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1
end of topic