Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) Active Users: 1013 / Visits Today: 1013
Highest Active Users: 1013
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors)
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Information
 The Tractor and Attachment Gallery
 Roto-Tilling after plowing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

skunkhome

USA
12824 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2012 :  16:57:29  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cwm1276

How well does the plow do in hard ground? I rototilled for a neighbor this morning, His garden had not been tilled since last spring. It was so hard, after 3 passes I was finally getting it broken up. I am thinking a plow may have broken it up better first.

I would always brake first with plow and then roto-till after it has sat for a few days unless the soil is very light.

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

Talntedmrgreen

USA
4110 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2012 :  18:28:13  Show Profile  Visit Talntedmrgreen's Homepage Send Talntedmrgreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a big believer in the plow, but I know on a garden like mine it isn't necessary each year. Now that it's established, the tiller has an easy job. One pass in 1st-Lo and it looks like fresh flour again. Then, when things start to grow, a simple pass through once a week with the cultivator keeps it looking nice and new. I still find a stone now and then, but 99% of them were flung aside over the last couple years, and I don't battle clay.

When opening a new garden for someone, I always start with the plow, whether I think I need to or not. I don't like it with the tiller bucks! =]

Go to Top of Page

Cvans

USA
4406 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2012 :  18:45:52  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First the digger and then the tiller. Works for me.

East Central South Dakota

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

B112

USA
5227 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2012 :  18:58:10  Show Profile  Visit B112's Homepage Send B112 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looking good Larry. We only used the plow the first year and tilled every year after. The boss didn't like the tractor in the garden the rest of the year. I'm thinking of trying my own garden this year and using the tractor to clean out the weeds. It will be interesting to hear how you do weed management later in the season.

Michael
Go to Top of Page

acdad

USA
1158 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2012 :  15:03:58  Show Profile Send acdad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by larry8200

quote:
Originally posted by cschmidt62

Seams to me these guys are afraid to get the yellow ones dirty! Or are they "Yellow"

Well I'm not afraid to get any of them dirty!!!

But in the end its the Orange that pulls the Yellow out, not vice versa.

Even though the Big Ten is in it up to her rear end...... I still love that picture! Try taking one of those box store tractors in the mud. It wouldve been too scared to leave the driveway at all!

Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!

- Chris

Big Ten
912H

Edited by - acdad on 04/19/2012 15:04:53
Go to Top of Page

larry8200

USA
3166 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2012 :  16:25:41  Show Profile  Visit larry8200's Homepage Send larry8200 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"box store tractors in the mud. It wouldve been too scared to leave the driveway at all!"

I think those box store beauty's would break an axle or something soon after putting chains on it. Never make it to the woods!!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) © Michael's Tractors 2006-2019 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1
end of topic