Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) Active Users: 1044 / Visits Today: 1044
Highest Active Users: 1044
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors)
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Information
 The Tractor and Attachment Gallery
 Favorite attachments
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

skunkhome

USA
12824 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2011 :  21:14:01  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suppose some of you guys have a load of attachments hidden out behind the shed. What are your favorite attachments?

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin

simplelife

USA
1385 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2011 :  21:19:08  Show Profile  Visit simplelife's Homepage Send simplelife a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skunkhome

I suppose some of you guys have a load of attachments hidden out behind the shed. What are your favorite attachments?

and where they are located and what your guard dog's favorite cut of meat is.

My favorites are the ones that save me the most manual labor, so in order of savings it would be the mower decks, the leaf vacuum, and the snow blower.

For fun, I like to see what can be done with the dozer blade and the sickle bar makes cleaning up the weeds and fencelines in the horse pasture a breeze.

Edited by - simplelife on 03/18/2011 08:48:37
Go to Top of Page

Talntedmrgreen

USA
4110 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2011 :  06:00:27  Show Profile  Visit Talntedmrgreen's Homepage Send Talntedmrgreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm...I've picked up a few that I suspect I'll love, but haven't had a chance to use yet. My most used (other than a mower) is my 46" dozer. I love it, but my neatest attachment so far has been my sickle bar. It simply works great, is simple, and really lays down some thick stuff!

I have my eye on a couple more things, but we'll see if they pan out...if they do, they will certainly bump the sickle bar =]

Go to Top of Page

USA
2317 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2011 :  06:12:04  Show Profile  Visit 1014211's Homepage Send 1014211 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think its no secret which one is my favorite.....

Insert Image:

A close second would be the carry all box, but that is pretty much a fun only attachment.

Insert Image:

Jon
Go to Top of Page

acdad

USA
1158 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2011 :  15:22:20  Show Profile Send acdad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jon your picture really cracked me up. I am glad its not just my daughter that seems to have an addiction to her DS. She also loves my tractors and its good to see your girls take a liking to yours as well.

As far as attachments go....I only have a mower and blower and its the blower by far. It has dug us out of some decent snow falls and throws it like its 1970 still!

- Chris

Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!

- Chris

Big Ten
912H

Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12824 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2011 :  19:36:20  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is really hard to choose but I'd have to say my favorite is my least used. It is the mold board plough. There is just a tremendous feeling of satisfaction when the plow goes into the ground and the tractor starts feeling the load and groans sweetly as it pulls. And the smell of newly turned soil is a delight to the nose.

I guess the next favorite is the sweep cultivator that also gets little use.

The mower is of course the most used and I am most thankful for when I drag in after a hard week of work during the torturous heat of July and August.

The one that has saved me from many backaches and actually payed for itself within a week of acquisition is the Johnny Bucket Jr. I hesitated buying one because they are pricy by any measure but I saw the opportunity for it to be used in a job and timed my purchase so that it would start making money immediately. I only worry that it's use is mighty hard on a garden tractor nearing 40 years old.

The sickle bar mower is so cool to use but I have little use for it and may be looking to swap it off before I break something I can't replace.

I am going to try the spring tooth harrow again this spring but may likewise be swapping it off as I think it is ill-suited for my heavy soil.

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

Talntedmrgreen

USA
4110 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2011 :  21:02:50  Show Profile  Visit Talntedmrgreen's Homepage Send Talntedmrgreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skunkhome

It is really hard to choose but I'd have to say my favorite is my least used. It is the mold board plough. There is just a tremendous feeling of satisfaction when the plow goes into the ground and the tractor starts feeling the load and groans sweetly as it pulls. And the smell of newly turned soil is a delight to the nose.

I guess the next favorite is the sweep cultivator that also gets little use.

Like poetry...

In all seriousness, Those two attachments are the two I see taking the lead in my stable...maybe even tomorrow, if tiem allows. My soil is finally soft...

Go to Top of Page

B-16_IC

USA
2823 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2011 :  22:27:18  Show Profile  Visit B-16_IC's Homepage Send B-16_IC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Count me a moldboard plow lover! I too love the smell of fresh turned top soil. Coming with it the triumphant roar of an old B&S single actually using it's governor!I really hope time and weather will allow for me to have my own personal plow day here where I can take my time and do it right instead of hurry up and get it done. I hope to plow with a rider and walk-behind. Haven't used the old walk-behind for a few years.

Life is all about paying. Pay attention, or pay the consequences, the choice is yours. Rich
Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12824 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2011 :  21:21:29  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Beat you to it, Josh.

I drug out Roy Popes old Brinly plough today. Roy let me have it for a song and it has been one of the most treasured things I have even more so cause it reminds me of its PO.

This black soil was hard gray and tan clay just two short years ago. I am turning under so much organic matter the coulter has a hard time dealing with it. Perhaps a sharpening is due.

The share and bottom of the moldboard polish up very quickly. I always apply a layer of linseed oil when I put her away.

Regretfully all too quickly my little plot is plowed but I get to play again tomorrow because my wife called me to supper before I finished. The green patch in the middle is where I tried to plow around a row of onions that refuse to make bulbs. I have 3-4 more passes and it will all be done for this season.

I am considering posting an ad on CL to offer my services to break garden plots for little or nothing.

BTW: The Vari-drive pulled really well since I discovered that it was assembled incorrectly.

PS Sorry for the crummy photos...I took them with my Kodak M530....Horrible little camera.

Phil

Benjamin Franklin

Edited by - skunkhome on 03/19/2011 22:24:24
Go to Top of Page

USA
2317 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2011 :  12:14:10  Show Profile  Visit 1014211's Homepage Send 1014211 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice work Phil. I would love to get a plow someday because I sure have plenty of area to use it. Maybe someday.....

Jon
Go to Top of Page

freddie

USA
2129 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2011 :  23:27:41  Show Profile  Visit freddie's Homepage Send freddie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i cant wait till i can use mine. i to will be offering to break ground and tilling. sounds like a day of fun, and get paid for it
Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12824 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2011 :  22:42:05  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, I almost for got the tiller. It came along with my B112 and I think it is all there but the "bearing/seals" are shot, the mule drive/PTO is frozen up and there is 1/4 turn of play in the drive pulley. Not a pretty picture:

But after struggling to till the garden with my walk behind tiller I have decided that it is about time I figured out what it will take to put her in action.

Phil

Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

cschmidt62

USA
560 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2011 :  09:36:51  Show Profile  Visit cschmidt62's Homepage Send cschmidt62 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Phil, you tiller looks simular to the way mine did a couple of years ago. I broke one of the drive chains inside so my dad and I tore it apart. By the time we got the parts to fix it we didn't need it so it got shoved to the side in a pile of parts. It sat until the next spring and I was sweating about if we could get it back together. I csme home from work one day and dad had it on his Allis 918. It amazed my that after setting a year dad was able to put it back together with no manual. He has always been able to that kind of stuff. I'm sure there is hope for yours, lol. I don't know what I would do with out it.

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity
Go to Top of Page

cschmidt62

USA
560 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2011 :  09:42:59  Show Profile  Visit cschmidt62's Homepage Send cschmidt62 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As far as my favorites, Mold board plow, center mount grader, e-z rake dethatcher and the sickle bar mower. My least favorite is the mower deck, I hate mowing yard. I will set on my tractors all day as long as I'm not mowing...lol

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity
Go to Top of Page

larry8200

USA
3166 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2011 :  11:29:53  Show Profile  Visit larry8200's Homepage Send larry8200 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have 21 attachments at last count, but with tire chains, tow chain and winch (none counted as attachments, oh well) My old Sovereign has pulled some amazing stuff.

Go to Top of Page

tractorjoe

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2011 :  12:13:11  Show Profile Send tractorjoe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by larry8200

I have 21 attachments at last count, but with tire chains, tow chain and winch (none counted as attachments, oh well) My old Sovereign has pulled some amazing stuff.

I think this wins, although I like my rototiller too. It saves me a lot of work.
How do you hook the chain to the back of yours so you don't bent it out of shape?

- Joe

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) © Michael's Tractors 2006-2019 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1
end of topic