Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) Active Users: 1596 / Visits Today: 1596
Highest Active Users: 1596
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors)
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Information
 The Tractor and Attachment Gallery
 I cobbled together a back saver
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

B-16_IC

USA
2823 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  20:26:38  Show Profile  Visit B-16_IC's Homepage Send B-16_IC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I decided a year ago that I had to get these tractors off the ground to work on them heavily, my back just can't take the bending over. Last winter I built a heavy workbench with thoughts of using it for such work but I needed a way to get them up there. I kept the thought rolling around in my head while I looked at what others had and what was commercially available. I ended up spending the last two weeks on and off combining a bunch of leftover and salvaged lumber, hardware, and other stuff to make this

The castors it rolls on are salvaged from a stand my late uncle had built to split his 580K Case backhoe so I doubt they will give problems. The winch was saved from an old car trailer I used to use that I scrapped out last year, it has two speeds and a free wheel brake for fast unload. I winched a few dead cars with flat tires and sometimes no wheels with it so I know it will handle a GT! I made the winch mount removable so the stand can be stood on end and save space when not in use. I cut two boards alike so I could use one as the winch mount and one as a handy place to mount my mini tire changer. That frees up bench space.

The end opposite the winch lowers down after the legs are folded down, after the tractor is winched on it gets jacked back up. I winched the old B-10 on just to try it out.

I'm planning on using my engine hoist or long frame floor jack for lifting dutys, no lift on the stand makes it lighter to stand it up in a corner when not in use. This entire project came about from in stock parts, hardware, and materials. Sometimes my pack-rat, auction going ways come in handy. Now with warmer temps than the teens we've been having called for this weekend I plan on dragging the 712H out of the snow and putting the stand to use, can't wait to get it tore down!

Life is all about paying. Pay attention, or pay the consequences, the choice is yours. Rich

wlewis379

USA
402 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  20:44:24  Show Profile Send wlewis379 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good idea I like it.

Happy Trails Bill

Insert Image:

People who are all wrapped up in themselves are overdressed
Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12824 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  20:54:08  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Save that back!

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

USA
2317 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  21:13:25  Show Profile  Visit 1014211's Homepage Send 1014211 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very nice, and the icing on the cake is it was materials you already had!

Jon
Go to Top of Page

Bollun

Canada
36 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  23:22:56  Show Profile  Visit Bollun's Homepage Send Bollun a Private Message  Reply with Quote
that is a great idea. do you have any construction pictures or drawings? I could really use one of these and would like to build one. Most curious about how the folding legs stay in place.
Go to Top of Page

B10Dave

Canada
1951 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  23:23:34  Show Profile Send B10Dave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rich. Isn't it amazing what the old brain can come up with when it has been lubricated and poked with the contents of several of those "Amber" bottles.

Money can't buy you happiness.
It can however buy you a beer.
And that is close enough.

Go to Top of Page

acdad

USA
1158 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2011 :  06:48:09  Show Profile Send acdad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks like it will work perfectly!

Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!

- Chris

Big Ten
912H

Go to Top of Page

Talntedmrgreen

USA
4110 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2011 :  20:45:55  Show Profile  Visit Talntedmrgreen's Homepage Send Talntedmrgreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a fantastic idea...you got me thinkin now! I could really use seomthing like that, for sleds, tractors....golf carts? =] I would have to modify the dimensions to get a one size fits all, but you got me thinkin....

Go to Top of Page

ASEguy

319 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2011 :  06:45:22  Show Profile  Visit ASEguy's Homepage Send ASEguy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow! Nice job. I like it. Great idea.

Gerard
1967 Allis B-110
1948 Allis model C
1949 Ford 8N (gift)
Gravely model L walk behind (gift)
Go to Top of Page

B-16_IC

USA
2823 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2011 :  12:38:07  Show Profile  Visit B-16_IC's Homepage Send B-16_IC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the comments guys! I will try to take more pics today as I am heading out to the garage shortly to crank the 712 on and begin it's teardown. With highs in the thirties today it should be near t-shirt weather in the shop with the barrel stove cooking.
I had no plans, no drawings beforehand, just a rather flexible idea in my head. That's how I build most things, I have a hard time getting such ideas on paper or explaining them with words, easier to just do it. several changes were made on the fly due to strength concerns and of course materials available. Many of the dimensions of it were determined by the materials I had around, didn't want to make any stops in town, they cost money!

Dave, proper lubrication is the key to things working properly! If that lubrication happens to come from a "refinery" somewhere in Wisconsin, all the better!

Life is all about paying. Pay attention, or pay the consequences, the choice is yours. Rich
Go to Top of Page

simplicityman

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2011 :  10:32:02  Show Profile  Visit simplicityman's Homepage Send simplicityman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i like the mini tire changer b-16 where did you get it.
Go to Top of Page

B-16_IC

USA
2823 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2011 :  22:28:37  Show Profile  Visit B-16_IC's Homepage Send B-16_IC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by simplicityman

i like the mini tire changer b-16 where did you get it.

I bought mine used at an auction, but I've seen the same for sale at Harbor Freight and also O'Reilly's. Less than $50 IIRC.

Go to Top of Page

B-16_IC

USA
2823 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2011 :  01:12:40  Show Profile  Visit B-16_IC's Homepage Send B-16_IC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't had much computor time the last several days due to shop time so I'm a little behind on the updated pics. Here are a few I took while I was cranking the 712H up, hopefully they help to show how things work better.

I hooked the cable hook to the rear hitch, I can see this will be the safest and easiest way to do it.

This is how I lock the legs up, holes bored through the legs and the fixed 2x6 for common hitch pins to slide through. I was wondering what I was going to do with these pins, 5/8" diameter, 6" long, too long for GT use, too thin for farm tractor use.

Within minutes of beginning teardown on the Allis I realized I was in need of more height on my end ocassionally. So, I stopped wrenching for a little while to throw together a step stool. Made for a practical use for some short scrap lumber, I and my back are much happier stepping on and off a stool occasionally than bending over constantly.

The only thing I would like to do better is locking castors so it would not move when I don't want it to. These were what I had so they got used, haven't seen where it is a big issue though, just something I would suggest to others if going to town or opening a catalog to buy castors for such a thing.

Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12824 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2011 :  09:40:20  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What is the mechanism you are using to raise the ramp end of your work platform.

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

B-16_IC

USA
2823 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2011 :  20:09:13  Show Profile  Visit B-16_IC's Homepage Send B-16_IC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skunkhome

What is the mechanism you are using to raise the ramp end of your work platform.

After winching on the 712H I used my 5 ton Walker long frame floor jack to lift it, not optimum as far as safety, but it worked. I plan on using my engine hoist from now on, it looks safer and easier but was buried outside in a few feet of snowdrift last weekend. I drug it to the garage door tonight since it was a whopping 64 degrees when I got home! No longer frozen in with those temps! What a difference a week makes, below freezing last week, t-shirt weather today. Gotta love the mid-west.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) © Michael's Tractors 2006-2019 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1
end of topic