Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) Active Users: 108 / Visits Today: 108
Highest Active Users: 108
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors)
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Information
 The Tractor and Attachment Gallery
 Choremaster Single Wheel Tractor
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

B10Dave

Canada
1951 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2011 :  20:05:42  Show Profile Send B10Dave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Went to the local auction last night. Came across a little Choremaster tractor. I have admired these tractors for several years and wanted to acquire one. Usually at shows complete; running, non restored examples are selling in the $200/$250 range. Just a bare frame with rotted tire and no engine are usually priced in the $100/$130 range. I took home this complete non running 1951 model (same birth year as me)for the princely sum of $70. Engine is free but no compression. I suspect a seized valve as it has obviously been sitting in someones shed for a long time. Tire has no age cracks or dry rot. I am very pleased with my latest find. Dave

Money can't buy you happiness.
It can however buy you a beer.
And that is close enough.

larry8200

USA
3166 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2011 :  20:27:12  Show Profile  Visit larry8200's Homepage Send larry8200 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like it! And I'm glad you arent wasting any time filling your new storage space. :)

Go to Top of Page

USA
2317 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2011 :  21:05:59  Show Profile  Visit 1014211's Homepage Send 1014211 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Never heard of that brand, did they get bought up by someone? That is very cool by the way. Are you going to restore it? Get it to running condition? Keep us posted on it.

Jon
Go to Top of Page

oldsarge

USA
688 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2011 :  22:06:47  Show Profile  Visit oldsarge's Homepage Send oldsarge a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Slick!!!
Go to Top of Page

oldron

USA
2732 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2011 :  22:48:24  Show Profile Send oldron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have always wanted a one wheeler.That looks like a nice project.
Ron

'Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!'
Go to Top of Page

B10Dave

Canada
1951 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2011 :  23:07:56  Show Profile Send B10Dave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Larry. Storage space filled long time ago. This is in the way in the shop. LOL. Jon As far as I know they were made from 1948/1953. Came with Clinton some years and Briggs other years.Don't know what else Lodge & Shipley made or for how long. There were lots of attachments for these tractors. 42in. V snow plow, 21in. one way snow plow, reel, rotary and sickle mowers, several styles of cultivators and weeders, riding sulky, two wheel wagon etc. They expected a lot from a 2 1/4 hp. engine. Plan to get it running first and cleaned up. Maybe restore in the future. Dave

Money can't buy you happiness.
It can however buy you a beer.
And that is close enough.

Go to Top of Page

B-16_IC

USA
2823 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2011 :  12:32:20  Show Profile  Visit B-16_IC's Homepage Send B-16_IC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've got one of those Briggs powered. Have spring tined cultivator and a furrower for it. The cultivator works great when the plants in the garden get bushy and the rototiller is too damaging. I think the oddest thing about them is steering. Fine tuning of it's path is best done by leaning it a bit, like a motorcycle or bicycle. Fun little things for sure, and they hold the record of being the smallest tractor to be tested at the University of Nebraska tractor tests!

Life is all about paying. Pay attention, or pay the consequences, the choice is yours. Rich
Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12824 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2011 :  13:24:38  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That thing looks like all business. Was the entire thing made by Clinton or just the engine? Lodge and Shipley was known for their lathes and maybe milling machinery but never heard of the tractors. When I was a pre teen we had a heavy duty mower we all called "The Clinton " . It was a real beast with knives mounted on a belt driven disk blade of about 25". It was self propelled with, I would guess, a 5 hp Clinton .
The mass of the big disc make it just about unstoppable. Once when mowing I ran over a bumble bee nest and while I was dealing with the attack the mower continued on and cut Down a sapling and one of our badminton net poles made of 3/4" iron pipe before I caught up to it and pulled out the clutch rod. I have not seen one since.

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin

Edited by - skunkhome on 01/22/2011 13:51:33
Go to Top of Page

freddie

USA
2129 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2011 :  16:32:02  Show Profile  Visit freddie's Homepage Send freddie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
never seen one. very nice. thanks for the pic.
Go to Top of Page

acdad

USA
1158 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2011 :  17:38:55  Show Profile Send acdad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Neat machine and great find.

Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!

- Chris

Big Ten
912H

Go to Top of Page

notso

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2011 :  18:44:29  Show Profile  Visit notso's Homepage Send notso a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lodge & Shipley aka to a machinist as Loose & Sloppy never knew they made anything other than chipmaking machinery.
Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12824 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2011 :  23:03:51  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by notso

Lodge & Shipley aka to a machinist as Loose & Sloppy never knew they made anything other than chipmaking machinery.

I thought that was Large & Shapley

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

notso

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2011 :  06:32:18  Show Profile  Visit notso's Homepage Send notso a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Large & Shapely would be the operator Phil
Go to Top of Page

78kitty

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2011 :  13:18:30  Show Profile  Visit 78kitty's Homepage Send 78kitty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great find! I have one of these I'm working on! I spent a lot of time cultivating with these for my Grandpa when I was little. I considered that fun! In fact before he trusted me in the garden I used to beg him to just let me walk behind it with no attachment on it around our 1 acre yard! I've got a rigid shovel-cultivator like you have, a spring tooth cultivator, and a front mount snow-plow for mine! One of my favorite snow memories as a kid was being off school and using ours to plow snow with my brother and Grandpa. My Gpa's brother-in-law worked at Lodge & Shipley and of course there were a few of these lil beasts in the family!

3415H Sovereign- 1972, Electric lift, 48" deck w/ gator blades, rear tiller, wheel-weights & snowplow / dozer blade.
5216H- 1985, 48" deck, Sold to Brother.
3212V Sovereign- 1970 aka hot rod 3216V after Briggs 16HP repower & 48" deck w/ gator blades.
Sunstar- 1980s mdl, 18HP Kohler Magnum motor needs rebuilt, non-PS, Ag Tires 48" Deck.

Edited by - 78kitty on 01/28/2011 14:36:19
Go to Top of Page

ASEguy

319 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2011 :  21:09:45  Show Profile  Visit ASEguy's Homepage Send ASEguy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've never seen or heard of a single wheel tractor like that. Nice acquistion.

Gerard
1967 Allis B-110
1948 Allis model C
1949 Ford 8N (gift)
Gravely model L walk behind (gift)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) © Michael's Tractors 2006-2019 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1
end of topic