Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) Active Users: 5627 / Visits Today: 5627
Highest Active Users: 5627
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors)
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Information
 The Tractor and Attachment Gallery
 If a picture's worth a thousand words then...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

larry8200

USA
3166 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2010 :  17:47:16  Show Profile  Visit larry8200's Homepage Send larry8200 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How many words are 20 pictures worth? More than I have at the moment. Anyway, someone said Post them pics!!!

These are from the last week playing with my 74 3416H

Tuesday morning went to replace the rear ball joint on the draglink. I couldn't get enough leverage with the deck on so had to take that off. I got the draglink off fine but the rear joint was stuck but good. Put it in a vice and heated the link nice cherry red. The joint came out screaming all the way. Now I had a draglink with half the paint burnrd off, so I sanded it down and repainyed it. While the paint was drying I figured I migh as well scrape some crud off the bottom of the deck. Got a little carried away... Hood decals original, made a "SIMPLICITY" stencil for front. Belt on hydro pump original (and has looked moth eaten for 20 years)

Notes: Look at hood on tractor behind soaped up deck. Since this tractor was new, the exhaust always hit inside the hood completely missing the hole, and the muffler has always been tight against the grill, made it tough to keep the hood nice. Made a little diverter (finally) to get the exhaust to go through hole. Brown paint on deck is Dupont Imron III left over from years ago and still good. Shoe Leather brown Did a lot of little stuff and a lot of paint.

Edited by - larry8200 on 06/27/2010 17:58:26

B-16_IC

USA
2823 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2010 :  20:54:17  Show Profile  Visit B-16_IC's Homepage Send B-16_IC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well that sure turned out nice! Cleaned the old beast up quite nicely.

Life is all about paying. Pay attention, or pay the consequences, the choice is yours. Rich
Go to Top of Page

Cvans

USA
4406 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2010 :  21:44:14  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I for one like your headlights much better than the originals. I have had couple of the 3400 series tractors and they are one of my all time favorites. I would much rather mow with one of them than the 7117H that I have now. The 3400's steer much easier and turn tighter. I do believe the 7117 will be better with the snowblower. You have a nice tractor and I wish it were parked in my yard. Thanks for the photos's

East Central South Dakota

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12824 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2010 :  06:57:43  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You have said a mouthfull, Larry. I really like how the early foot draggers handle and even the long wheel based B112 is more nimble than the RBT's but like the shuttle over the std 3 speed and Variable speed.

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

larry8200

USA
3166 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2010 :  07:59:31  Show Profile  Visit larry8200's Homepage Send larry8200 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skunkhome

You have said a mouthfull, Larry. I really like how the early foot draggers handle and even the long wheel based B112 is more nimble than the RBT's but like the shuttle over the std 3 speed and Variable speed.

Believe it or not, though I've seen countless Simplicities, I've never deen a FDT of any persuasion, or any A/C garden tractors at all except in pictures. They just don't seem to be around Northern New England. I would like to find a restorable B-10, Big-10 or Simple equivalant and do a showpiece restoration on it. As far as trannies are concerned, I'm in the tiny minority that wouldn't trade my Vickers Hydro for anything. I'll do a post on that soon.

Go to Top of Page

skunkhome

USA
12824 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2010 :  08:16:19  Show Profile Send skunkhome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only AC's I have ever seen in Louisiana belonged to me or my Dad. The only Simplicity I have ever seen in LA is my 3414s.

Phil

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

larry8200

USA
3166 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2010 :  08:25:27  Show Profile  Visit larry8200's Homepage Send larry8200 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It seems like the vast majority are in the mid-west

Go to Top of Page

Cvans

USA
4406 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2010 :  11:33:29  Show Profile Send Cvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Your not alone Larry. I thought my Vickers was a first rate piece of machinery. So much so that I sold my shuttle (sorry Phil) for parts. I'm glad they made different types as it seems there is a need for all. When it comes to doing garden work I prefer the mechanical transmissions as it is easier to maintain one speed.

East Central South Dakota

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Edited by - Cvans on 06/28/2010 11:34:24
Go to Top of Page

ATF

USA
1892 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2010 :  18:11:08  Show Profile  Visit ATF's Homepage Send ATF a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have 20 GTs of various brands, all Hydros except one, bigtractors or little hydros are by far better, stronger, and more versatile

Go to Top of Page

olcowhand

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2010 :  18:43:02  Show Profile  Visit olcowhand's Homepage Send olcowhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What is best is a personal issue, but I am definitely a hydro guy, deep-down-hydro! It's the maneuverability that wins me over with them.

Daniel in Ky -- So much to do, so little time!

Go to Top of Page

ByronC

USA
1604 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2010 :  19:36:31  Show Profile Send ByronC a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Everyone here in my part of Kentucky is all hiped up about striping there yards and bragging on there strip kits on there Zero turn cutting machines...
When I tell them that Simplicity/Allis has had that since the 1960's they dont believe me...

Thats one BEAUTIFUL CUT LAWN!!!!!! LOVE IT!!!!

PICS, PICS, PICS.......... Need more PICS!!!!!!

Thank you... :)

Insert Image:

Byron---Allis-Chalmers

The Few, The Proud, The Orange.
918H Agco-Allis, and a 928D Grasshopper Diesel.
D-21 Allis-Chalmers
Allis-Chalmers Tech for 7 years.
Go to Top of Page

B10Dave

Canada
1951 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2010 :  19:38:48  Show Profile Send B10Dave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Larry. You stated that you have the capability to heat things up. That muffler doesn't look like too big of a job to remove and give a slight twist so it aligns with the hole in the hood. Just my opinion but personally I would take a Sunday afternoon and do the job. Looks to be only a two or three beer mod.Also as to AC garden tractors in New england; I got my 620 out of Cummingtom Mass. B10Dave

Money can't buy you happiness.
It can however buy you a beer.
And that is close enough.

Edited by - B10Dave on 06/28/2010 19:43:05
Go to Top of Page

larry8200

USA
3166 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2010 :  20:04:52  Show Profile  Visit larry8200's Homepage Send larry8200 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do you see the shed in the lawn picture? I figure If I remove most of the center dividing wall I can get 2-3 more large frames in there. I WAS warned, if I started down this path, them old large frames have a habit of multiplying...

Was looking at the exhaust again this afternoon. Still causing problems I think. 3 beers sounds like an affordable fix to me!

And just posted more pix! :)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) © Michael's Tractors 2006-2019 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1
end of topic