Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) Active Users: 962 / Visits Today: 962
Highest Active Users: 962
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors)
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Information
 The Tractor and Attachment Gallery
 Roto-Tilling after plowing

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Click here to attach a photo to your post

T O P I C    R E V I E W
larry8200 Posted - 04/13/2012 : 06:54:51
This garden just had a ton of manure spread on it after I plowed it. It took 2 passes in second gear low range and a third pass in first gear low range to finnish. First low is a true creeper on the 6 speed.

Please note the "Orange" is first in the "CRAP" LOL, and the 16 horse never really worked, I dont believe the governer kicked in at all

15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
larry8200 Posted - 04/19/2012 : 16:25:41
"box store tractors in the mud. It wouldve been too scared to leave the driveway at all!"

I think those box store beauty's would break an axle or something soon after putting chains on it. Never make it to the woods!!
acdad Posted - 04/19/2012 : 15:03:58
quote:
Originally posted by larry8200

quote:
Originally posted by cschmidt62

Seams to me these guys are afraid to get the yellow ones dirty! Or are they "Yellow"

Well I'm not afraid to get any of them dirty!!!

But in the end its the Orange that pulls the Yellow out, not vice versa.

Even though the Big Ten is in it up to her rear end...... I still love that picture! Try taking one of those box store tractors in the mud. It wouldve been too scared to leave the driveway at all!
B112 Posted - 04/15/2012 : 18:58:10
Looking good Larry. We only used the plow the first year and tilled every year after. The boss didn't like the tractor in the garden the rest of the year. I'm thinking of trying my own garden this year and using the tractor to clean out the weeds. It will be interesting to hear how you do weed management later in the season.
Cvans Posted - 04/15/2012 : 18:45:52
First the digger and then the tiller. Works for me.

Talntedmrgreen Posted - 04/15/2012 : 18:28:13
I'm a big believer in the plow, but I know on a garden like mine it isn't necessary each year. Now that it's established, the tiller has an easy job. One pass in 1st-Lo and it looks like fresh flour again. Then, when things start to grow, a simple pass through once a week with the cultivator keeps it looking nice and new. I still find a stone now and then, but 99% of them were flung aside over the last couple years, and I don't battle clay.

When opening a new garden for someone, I always start with the plow, whether I think I need to or not. I don't like it with the tiller bucks! =]
skunkhome Posted - 04/15/2012 : 16:57:29
quote:
Originally posted by cwm1276

How well does the plow do in hard ground? I rototilled for a neighbor this morning, His garden had not been tilled since last spring. It was so hard, after 3 passes I was finally getting it broken up. I am thinking a plow may have broken it up better first.

I would always brake first with plow and then roto-till after it has sat for a few days unless the soil is very light.
cwm1276 Posted - 04/15/2012 : 15:28:52
I'm spoiled, I till as long as there is nothing growing I want. So my gardens get tilled 3-4 times. This year I hardly had to till.
larry8200 Posted - 04/15/2012 : 04:10:58
Carl, roots, rocks and packed soil are going to be hard on anything, but I thinnk a plow is going to be harder to brake than a roto-tiller. And roto-tilling anything but well established gardens is HARD on both the tractor and roto-tiller.

John, I do have some problems with my turf groom skidding, and have thought about turf tires replacing the micro ribs, but hadn't thought of loading them which might help more. I have found when the hopper starts filling up it gets plenty of weight though. When I use it on leaves I chop them up with a mower first and sort of make rows out of them, otherwise it fills up with fluff every couple of minuites and I spend half the time dumping it
Johnb212 Posted - 04/14/2012 : 22:06:35
Thanks for the info. on the estate sweeper Larry. I think I might try the windshild washer fluid in the tires first because they lock up and skid as much as they roll. If that doesn't work I might try a turf tire, My yard is chopped up and hilly so it's hard to get much speed. I only got my B212 in Feb this year and I immediately tore it all apart for a restoration, I drove it up drive way this evening, almost finished. Up till then I pulled it with a Honda 3813 and then a Walker Zero turn with the same results, skidding and dragging, even on blacktop. The Walker is pretty fast but I guess not fast enough. If all that doesn't work I might bring it up to you in NE this sumer and you can have two of the gang of three.
cwm1276 Posted - 04/14/2012 : 21:01:20
How well does the plow do in hard ground? I rototilled for a neighbor this morning, His garden had not been tilled since last spring. It was so hard, after 3 passes I was finally getting it broken up. I am thinking a plow may have broken it up better first.
larry8200 Posted - 04/14/2012 : 10:22:47
quote:
Originally posted by Johnb212

Wow, I guess I deserved that one, so we'll call it even since they are all the same in the end just which came first, Yellw or the egg. In an earlier post I saw you have an estate lawn sweeper. I suppose yours works well. I bought a slightly used one because I was impressed with the construction. I havn't been happy with it, must be a height adjustment I am getting wrong. I was going to change the tires to a heavier tread and add wwf to them for weight before I gave up on it. Larry do you have any suggestions on how I might get it working?
John

"the same in the end" Yup, I take mine ALL in the mud regardless of race, color, or creed. And have a blast, at least as long as I can get out of the mud without getting off the tractor. HAHA

Those estate sweepers are great, but they are designed to be pulled in gangs of three on golf courses, parks etc. behind a small farm tractor with turf tires at 6-10 MPH at 5 and under mine doesn't work well at all. Then it needs to be adjusted mainly by trial and error. Mine was well used when I got it and I suspect a new brush would need much less pressure.

I pulled mine with my 725 for a while, but flat out wasn't quite fast enough. I have been using a 3315V in third, and flat out is ok and the variable at low is perfect for tight turns. The one thing I have found the variable is perfect for.

Johnb212 Posted - 04/14/2012 : 08:20:28
Wow, I guess I deserved that one, so we'll call it even since they are all the same in the end just which came first, Yellw or the egg. In an earlier post I saw you have an estate lawn sweeper. I suppose yours works well. I bought a slightly used one because I was impressed with the construction. I havn't been happy with it, must be a height adjustment I am getting wrong. I was going to change the tires to a heavier tread and add wwf to them for weight before I gave up on it. Larry do you have any suggestions on how I might get it working?
John
larry8200 Posted - 04/14/2012 : 03:50:00
quote:
Originally posted by cschmidt62

Seams to me these guys are afraid to get the yellow ones dirty! Or are they "Yellow"

Well I'm not afraid to get any of them dirty!!!

But in the end its the Orange that pulls the Yellow out, not vice versa.

Johnb212 Posted - 04/13/2012 : 22:28:38
We Yellow collectors just care soo much for our tractors that we don't want any crap on them and while they will do anything for us we would rather keep them out of it. Especially green crap. Touche' Larry but notice, "At first, there was Orange, and it was very good. Then Yellow wanted in, so it was. For a time But the great tractor creator knew that Orange needed yellow to make him complete so he took the part closest to Oranges heart (drive shaft) and created Yellow. Then Orange was finally complete!
olcowhand Posted - 04/13/2012 : 21:42:47
If it were green manure, then I'd understand keeping the yellow tractors away from it. The green on yellow would turn them into John Deere's!

Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) © Michael's Tractors 2006-2019 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1