Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) Active Users: 1177 / Visits Today: 1177
Highest Active Users: 1177
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors)
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Information
 The Tractor and Attachment Gallery
 The Core Collection

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Click here to attach a photo to your post

T O P I C    R E V I E W
larry8200 Posted - 02/20/2012 : 07:24:06
Or, The collection within the collection. 36 years of Simplicity large frame tractors. Have to find a 700 to make it 40 years....

My Dad abducted my Sovereign 18 with power steering, Dang it!! I want to add a 9 hp Landlord, Sovereign 3112H and a Sovereign 7116H, the 7116H being the last to have the Briggs 32 CID engine. Although not quit complete, there is one of each large frame design Simplicity built from 1960 through 2000

Landlord 2010
landlord 2110 Hydrolift
Sovereign 3012V Hydrolift
Sovereign 3212H Hydrolift
Sovereign 3314H Electric lift
Sovereign 3416H Electric Lift
Sovereign 7016-6
Sovereign 18 V-Twin Hydro

9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
larry8200 Posted - 02/22/2012 : 05:48:14
Dave, That is food for thought, I have thought long about extending my shop forward 20-40 feet and or putting a lean to roof off the south (right) side. I need a place to work on cars'trucks as well as storage for tractors. Any additions to my shop will have larger property tax increases, but a pole barn that doesn't have a concrete floor will be assessed as a shed and cost me about $50 additional a year per 1000 asquare feet. I'm probably going to do both. I have most of the material collected for a pole barn now.

Al, I'll look at corrosion X, haven't heard of it. Currently I use used motor oil cut with kerosene in a spray bottle, nearly free and uses up some of the used oil I generate
lobsta1 Posted - 02/22/2012 : 02:17:42
Rather than oil you could do what a lot of the guys that have converted over old Bertram boats to diesel. They buy Corrosion X by the gallon.(if you can't find it local google it online)They cut it 50/50 with lacquer thinner & use a spray bottle to cover the engines with it. The thinner flashes off & leaves a nice even, thin coat of the Corrosion X. The CX also does a fantastic job helping to break loose rusted bolts. Don't have any Kroil so CX is my go-to rust buster.
Al
B10Dave Posted - 02/21/2012 : 21:07:32
Larry; I have seen your place first hand. You have a good solid woodworking shop. My choice would be to extend a roof out on three sides for overhead shelter and close in a piece under one of them to make a single tractor shop about 8X10 with a small quartz electric heater. If you look for salvaged wood from demolition sites etc. cost should be very reasonable. My 2 cents worth. Dave
larry8200 Posted - 02/21/2012 : 08:12:28
"i didn't realize you wiped them down with oil to protect them."

Well, About a third have good paint and seats that flip over the wheel/dash. They are fine left ina shaded area, but need periodoc washing. About half I keep clean wiping them down with an oily rag, and the rest get sprayed with oil when they start looking "dry"

Mower decks with the beltcovers on need to be kept dry, they are designed to drain water but once a little chaff gets in them the drain channells turn into sponges, never really dry, and rot the decks.
acb10_64 Posted - 02/21/2012 : 06:23:22
I like the round hoods!
That is a lot of maintenance, i didn't realize you wiped them down with oil to protect them. Look forward to seeing that pole barn!
larry8200 Posted - 02/21/2012 : 05:33:31
Yep, I almost started a pole barn last summer, and I'm glad I didn't. It would have been too small. I am working now to figure a comfortable size for 15 tractors/attachments with enough room to work on them. Probably 20 X 32 with a roof sloped to the back and open on the front, and with a crushed stone floor.

Over time I have found by far the worst damage comes from the summer sun UV, folloed by re-freezing after snowblowing, and in the winter tarps will freeze to the tractors, not good. Its easy to keep them out of the sun, but they are very unlikely to get a heated garage. The worst wear and tear on seats comes from using them frozen, the old vinyl gets brittle. I try to run them up to temp once a week, Ikeep a handfull painted and the rest oiled. I actually like the way a tractor looks thats been wiped down with oil regularly for a long time.

And I have several that have sat outside untouched long enough that nothing short of complete tear down and sandblasting will work long term. Instead of wiping them with oil I SPRAY them with oil.

It does take more maintenance when they are uncovered, It means I have to spend a whole day, these days just running them around. My neighbors are either jealous or convinced I'm off the deep end. Either way is fine by me!

As far as the yellow ones go I have a BIG TEN, B-110, B-210, B-207E and an AC 312. But they aren't part of my Simplicity collection. Just missed a B-210 for $175, RATS!!!
briggs9498 Posted - 02/20/2012 : 22:19:22
I can see a good sized pole barn in your future. Cheap,easy to build and keeps them out of the elements. I absolutely love your collection though and I feel that they'll survive outside just fine. A tarp is really all they need to preserve them as long as you move then around every once and a while they'll live another 40 years no problem. These tractors were built back in the day when stuff was meant to last no matter how harsh the elements you threw at them. Wish I was alive to see our nation strive like it did when these were made. All I see today is Chinese and Japanese crap. The biggest problem with our nation is how everything is outsourced. Pretty soon all of my standard sized tools will be obsolete besides working on my tractors and 79 chevy. But sorry about my rant lol and it surprises me how many simplicitys you have compared to allis chalmers. Over here in New York it seems to be the opposite I see yellow everywhere.
larry8200 Posted - 02/20/2012 : 09:33:00
"leaving them out in the elements"

Every tractor here, not just these, are in considerably better shape than when the went into the elements here. And most of them, including my 3416H has been outside 20 years. They do get sheltered and covered. Tent city out back sometimes. And probably one third have never been inside.

Besides, you let them in just once and then they'll expect it all the time. It's called "Entitlement".
joe fess Posted - 02/20/2012 : 08:12:46
I like the looks of the early foot draggers with the 3 piece seat pans and the round top hoods. I would have a hard time fixing them and then leaving them out in the elements. Maybe you can get Simplicity to build you a museum on your property to display their history.

Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) © Michael's Tractors 2006-2019 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1