Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) Active Users: 2728 / Visits Today: 2728
Highest Active Users: 2728
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors)
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Information
 The Tractor and Attachment Gallery
 "Freshening" a deck :)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Click here to attach a photo to your post

T O P I C    R E V I E W
larry8200 Posted - 08/23/2011 : 17:49:42
I was only going to sharpen the blades and scrape it down a little...

I haved a source for 5/16-18 x 1/2" button head capscrews that just barely clear on the lower edge of the covers. So drilled out the shot 1/4-20 holes and tapped them. I'm not repainting the covers, Simplicity's dark orange touch up paint made a nice match and they'll look fine, The holes on the bottom edge are 3/8 to start with and are fine, the slotte holes need to be slightly wider, I use a carbide bur in a die grinder. That touch up paint dries tack free in 15 minuites.

6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
larry8200 Posted - 08/24/2011 : 13:05:57
quote:
Originally posted by Talntedmrgreen

That is a nice match...wow. Looks good Larry. I've never even had the covers off my B110 deck. The belt and bearings have felt good for the last decade+ and the deck has never had any rust.

Thats bordering on a miracle. I'll bet $$$ it has rust under the covers.

If I dont clean out the belt area once a year it gets packed tight and interferes with the idler arm.

I'd wire brush and oil the crap out if the cover screws on the bottom before removing them. If you ever mow grass that isn't completely dry they are probably pretty well corroded and stuck.
Talntedmrgreen Posted - 08/24/2011 : 12:48:03
That is a nice match...wow. Looks good Larry. I've never even had the covers off my B110 deck. The belt and bearings have felt good for the last decade+ and the deck has never had any rust.
larry8200 Posted - 08/24/2011 : 10:50:58
Didn't paint the covers, got a nice match from Simplicity's deep orange touch up.

larry8200 Posted - 08/24/2011 : 00:22:57
quote:
Originally posted by skunkhome

I had to do the same with my belt covers a couple of years ago. I used 7mm self tapping cap screws.

Yeh, metric is worth remembering when going oversize, mimnimize the amount oversize. I had a bag of 50 of these 5/16 from McMaster I bought last year. I don't think I'd use self tapping screws for applications that get removed regularly.
acb10_64 Posted - 08/23/2011 : 22:13:02
Nice! I've got a 42" deck for you to do next!
skunkhome Posted - 08/23/2011 : 20:41:49
I had to do the same with my belt covers a couple of years ago. I used 7mm self tapping cap screws.

Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) © Michael's Tractors 2006-2019 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1