Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) Active Users: 2666 / Visits Today: 1231
Highest Active Users: 2666
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors)
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Information
 The Tractor and Attachment Gallery
 The 917 That Wasn't

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Click here to attach a photo to your post

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ATF Posted - 09/05/2010 : 22:40:01
Well the 917 I posted here and went to look at turned out to be an impostor. It was a series l kohler KT17, not sure if the 917 ever got series l, but lets say they did. The tunnel cover had a H cut out made for a 3 speed and the model number s1690473, I think, pretty sure, that was the number. I knew it wasn'tany of the 917 model numbers. The deck was trashed, back rollers and bar were shot, and wheels were welded and bolted on ala jerry rigged. In all of 30 seconds I was telling the guy, not interested at ANY price. Before leaving on this "mission I had scoped out two other Allis tractor's in the event of just such an occurrence. the next tractor was 55 miles North West of my present location in South West Wichita, it was a Allis 716 , no picture, 300.00. I called the guy for directions and reluctantly trekked further from my home and it was already close to 2pm. I arrived in a small town called Yoder Kansas, apparently most of the resident use horse and buggy and do not drive cars at all, pretty sure there called Amish, men in black, black buggys. Do they have a used buggy lot like a used car lot? do they come with horses? Anyway I pull into the drive and the 716 is exactly like mine down to the model number,(1690014) sans the flames. It's a little rough, the deck is not that good, but I have another one anyway. The battery is dead but the guy hooks jumper cables to it and it starts in half a second and sounds great, purrs like a kitten. I offered the guy 175, he said he couldn't take less than 200, I said deal, we loaded it up and away we went. I still had money so I called for info on the Allis 608 100 miles South East from present location and on the way home. It's a nice little machine runs great, I just dont need or want it. It to new and too small, besides I can use the 150 bucks he wants for it for a whole set of tires. So we had a nice 500 mile round trip through the hell they call Kansas, but it was a cool day and most of the Kansas were out of state visiting people who lived in states with water, and something more of a labor day attraction than the biggest rock in Kansas, the world largest ball of string, or the deepest hand dug well.

10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
ATF Posted - 09/06/2010 : 18:08:44
The Briggs exhaust seems to exits the same place on my 7016 and my 716
Gray Posted - 09/06/2010 : 16:08:49
quote:
Originally posted by skunkhome

700 and 7000 Hoods will interchange. Both early and late models. What you are looking for is an early hood with pod lights either 700 or 7000 series if you want the grill grid. Replacements for the lights are another challenge but there have been some very creative solutions. The last one I saw was where someone found some seal beams and changed out the base. I'll see if I can find the thread.

Hmmm. So they will interchange. I couldn't see why they wouldn't.

What's so difficult about the original bulbs? Are they an odd size, odd sockets, no room in the pod box? all of the above?
Thanx Phil - any info on creative solutions is always welcome.

You also said "if you want the grill grid". If there an option to do a grille like Larry's or yours? Speaking of yours; what lighting solution are you using? (the creative one?)

[edit] = I spose a briggs engine would rule out the other kind of front grille - unless they exhaust through the hole in the side as well - I don't know about that.
skunkhome Posted - 09/06/2010 : 15:30:12
700 and 7000 Hoods will interchange. Both early and late models. What you are looking for is an early hood with pod lights either 700 or 7000 series if you want the grill grid. Replacements for the lights are another challenge but there have been some very creative solutions. The last one I saw was where someone found some seal beams and changed out the base. I'll see if I can find the thread.
Gray Posted - 09/06/2010 : 14:34:12
I would like to find a hood for the early 700-series. I really like those little pod lights, that whole image, the larger grille. I was told it would not fit - but I haven't pursued it anyway = can't see how it would not fit. Maybe if somebody has one of each they could check it out. Maybe if somebody has a spare hood.... ?

Switching hoods would get rid of my headlights that I think are too close to the muffler. The whole image improves imho. The grille becomes larger, for escaping heat. And I could maybe tolerate the muffler as is, without doing a stack. And, kinda the bottom line, the lights and hood on the older 700 is more of a Sovereign image - which is what I kinda fell in love with in the first place. That's a biggy, the Zen - form and function - package deal.

I wonder if the exhaust would fit thru the hood in the same place.

I have also been told that the old headlights for the pods are no longer available.

It seems there might be some blocks in the way of doing what looks like a natural hood swap. Need more info. I think if there is a will, there is a way. And then I would probably have to do paint as well; and that invites the similar white Simplicity hoods. It's easier to leave it as it is; but every time I see a pix like the one in this thread, this little dream starts again.

It's interesting owning a tractor. I like it as is. I see improvements possible. Things are running ok. There's a few little things still to fix. It's a real ongoing experience. And I am learning lots. This is exactly what I wanted when I got into this.
larry8200 Posted - 09/06/2010 : 08:59:48
quote:
Originally posted by cwm1276

My dad's AC 716H has the frame cutout for the shifter it is just a different label on top which covers the hole. Other the years I hammered the label down to reveal the shifter cut out as nothing is under the label right there.

My 3416H has that cutout also, I found it when I replaced the center decal
cwm1276 Posted - 09/06/2010 : 08:53:38
My dad's AC 716H has the frame cutout for the shifter it is just a different label on top which covers the hole. Other the years I hammered the label down to reveal the shifter cut out as nothing is under the label right there.
skunkhome Posted - 09/06/2010 : 08:33:22
" but I gain... the best sounding kohler K341 I have ever heard." Doesn't take much to please you!
ATF Posted - 09/06/2010 : 07:17:24
quote:
Originally posted by skunkhome

It could be that that 917 was a mix and match tractor. the number 1690473 is for a Simplicity 7112H with manual lift, I had seen the "H" or "I" cut out on the tunnel for the shifter on supposed early factory hydrostatics.

I thought about that, but the 917 wasn't a early hydro, but the frame it came from might have been. I know one thing, it wasn't going in my truck. I actually am thinking of putting the engine in my 7016 and repainting and decals to make a late model Allis. I lose a complete tractor, but I gain a lot of parts and the best sounding kohler K341 I have ever heard.
skunkhome Posted - 09/06/2010 : 06:17:14
It could be that that 917 was a mix and match tractor. the number 1690473 is for a Simplicity 7112H with manual lift, I had seen the "H" or "I" cut out on the tunnel for the shifter on supposed early factory hydrostatics.
skunkhome Posted - 09/06/2010 : 05:39:47
If you didn't have photos of the 716 what is that on the trailer? That is not a bad looking early 700 series. Needs work but $200 is a smart price.

I remember visiting a place on the old family farm up in north central Kansas where the landscape was covered with huge boulders the size of two story houses. The locals called it rocky town and large boulders were glacier drop. Big granite boulders on a field littered with fossils in limestone out-croppings. All that is now covered by Lake Wilson.

Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) © Michael's Tractors 2006-2019 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1