Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) Active Users: 5281 / Visits Today: 5281
Highest Active Users: 5281
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors)
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Information
 The Tractor and Attachment Gallery
 New pics! 716H

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Click here to attach a photo to your post

T O P I C    R E V I E W
AC716H Posted - 10/25/2009 : 12:11:34

14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
skunkhome Posted - 07/17/2010 : 20:40:04
looks like a nice table saw...what is it?
ATF Posted - 07/01/2010 : 21:30:07
I think it's a no brainer, not only the longer stroke and the heavier flywheel, but cast iron to boot, I've heard the big Briggs had more power than the kohlers.
larry8200 Posted - 07/01/2010 : 08:52:00
Nice job.

The Longer stroke on the old single cylinder engines produces signifigantly more torque than the shorter stroke of the v-twins.

I'd guess my 36 year old B&S 16 has at least 3000 hours, and is going strong. Never been apart and uses about 1/2 qt. in 10 hours. If it comes to it, I will definitely rebuild.
ATF Posted - 06/27/2010 : 19:16:06
I know this is a old post, but it's a very good topic. People can do anything they want, but I always want to give food for thought whether I agree or not. The weight of a flywheel on a old 10, 12, 14, or 16 horse kohler or Briggs engine is enormous, I can take the flywheel off a Vanguard and throw it like a frisbee. The Kohler and Briggs' flywheels have to be close to 50 lbs. When these old engines are running at speed whether cutting grass, tilling, or plowing that weight doesn't let the engine bog down, thus you can run at slower rpm's than the newer engines, which are designed to run at FULL throttle all the time. I see 2 and 3 year old V-twin Kohlers and Briggs worn out. I've replaced or rebuilt 4 V-twins in the last year, all off residential ZTR's, none was 5 years old. If you think that's bad, you know why your seeing fewer Honda motors in mowers, their quality has gone to the dogs. Nope, I'll take my old engine down to the machine shop have it mic'ed and bored if necessary, crank turned, valves lapped or replaced and have a REAL engine in a REAL garden tractor. I mean if I had a little 1972 Dodge Dart with a 273 or 318 in it, I wouldn't swap it for newer model V-6. I darn sure would upgrade tires, and brakes, but we do that on our older GTs by using much better turf or AG tires and restoring them or maintaining them better than they might have been in the past. Rebuilt short blocks on ebay are very reasonable less than half a Vanguard. I'm a Stens and Kohler dealer, it cost me a little over a 100 bucks for piston, rod, rings, valves, and all gaskets. The machine shop charges me 160-175 to bore the cylinder, replace or relap the valves, turn the crank, acid dip the engine and install the piston, rings, and crank. After that even most beginners can handle putting the rest of the periphials on and install the engine. The Carb rebuild kits are also cheap as hell. If you do it yourself you can rebuild for as little as 300.00 even with a few extras like carb kit and rebuilding the starter, if you have it all done professionally, I still think you can come in well under a newer twin cost. Look at it this way, those engines lasted HOW LONG, promise you your new V-twin wont last that long and I doubt it will cut till or plow as well. ATF
skunkhome Posted - 06/27/2010 : 11:42:47
ATF, I have to agree with you that these new engines have little to preserve torque.
ATF Posted - 06/27/2010 : 11:16:58
quote:
Originally posted by AC716H

Most things are better in pairs *s*

I am using the same paint I used on Allis I - DupliColor DE-1620 and Whimbledon White for the wheels. Looks really good.

I wanted to get all the painting done now so it can sit and get hard over the winter while I work on the electrical and decide what engine to put in her.

She was pretty ugly and was bought as a parts tractor... but I could not bear to see her not get restored.

I am thinking seriously about buying a Briggs Vanguard V-Twin conversion kit from Small Engine Warehouse. I want this to be a 30-year tractor, so the investment in a new engine with a long lifespan makes sense to me.

I guess I dont get it, your old briggs lasted longer than ANYTHING today will, but yet your thinking about swicthing to a "new engine", over a rebuilt tried and true performer. I can promise you a Vanguard will not last as long as your engine rebuilt and You lose all the torque of that heavy flywheel, hate to see you disappointed. Just my 2 cents
Roy Posted - 12/02/2009 : 18:06:08
Looking good.

Carry on,
B-10 Posted - 12/02/2009 : 17:49:10
Nice, well done. thats how you do it. break it all down then make it yours!
skunkhome Posted - 11/01/2009 : 11:16:21
I too have been considering that conversion. I just hate to abandon my ole Briggs.
AC716H Posted - 10/26/2009 : 20:10:47
Most things are better in pairs *s*

I am using the same paint I used on Allis I - DupliColor DE-1620 and Whimbledon White for the wheels. Looks really good.

I wanted to get all the painting done now so it can sit and get hard over the winter while I work on the electrical and decide what engine to put in her.

She was pretty ugly and was bought as a parts tractor... but I could not bear to see her not get restored.

I am thinking seriously about buying a Briggs Vanguard V-Twin conversion kit from Small Engine Warehouse. I want this to be a 30-year tractor, so the investment in a new engine with a long lifespan makes sense to me.
olcowhand Posted - 10/26/2009 : 18:31:07
VERY NICE!
skunkhome Posted - 10/26/2009 : 16:46:10
Nice job! What paint are you using ?
acdad Posted - 10/25/2009 : 20:53:38
Looks great so far!
B-16_IC Posted - 10/25/2009 : 19:18:47
Looking pretty nice! I take it you have twins?

Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) © Michael's Tractors 2006-2019 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.02 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1