Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) Active Users: 3427 / Visits Today: 3427
Highest Active Users: 3427
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors)
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Other Tractors, Attachments and other projects
 Other Garden Tractors
 Sears deal

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Click here to attach a photo to your post

T O P I C    R E V I E W
joe fess Posted - 02/17/2012 : 07:22:16
To bad they are not Simplicity,nice pile of junkhttp://providence.craigslist.org/grd/2855588196.html
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
19luna57 Posted - 03/17/2012 : 22:17:17
I just made trade on SEARS ST12 has 12HP Tecumseh,42 inch 3 blade deck. Going to bring home next Saturday,been setting in shed since mid 90's as best remembered, LOL Looks like well built little machine,but will proble prove me wrong,but cannot beat the price if I only use the wheels.
joe fess Posted - 02/18/2012 : 18:58:08
I have had mine since new and I can't kick. The first has a 10 hp briggs. with a 4 speed cast iron transaxle, The second, my sons ,has a 6 speed cast iron transaxle with a twin 18 hp briggs.

gomez15605 Posted - 02/18/2012 : 17:12:10
This is the Craftsman I have.This thing is a tank.20hp Onan,50" deck. Has a 42" blower and a 48" blade.Has a rear sleeve hitch and rear box blade.Its around the early eighties.It doesnt cut as nice as a Simplicity, but I only use it as a utility tractor.Im not sure who made it but it is heavy duty.I also have a ST10 but it is light duty.It was free and I have never used it but it has a brand new Tecumseh 10hp engine never ran.The Craftsman is a backup as I also have some Powermax's. Bill

Richard L. Posted - 02/18/2012 : 16:26:31
I remember they had some smaller ones back around 65 or so with the regular garden tractor tires and smaller decks but I'm telling ya those others in the 70's to 80's made by Roper were some good machines.
skunkhome Posted - 02/18/2012 : 14:27:58
I remember tat they had the 12" rear rims with 5 hole bolt pattern but only a three bolt hub. I think the ones with 2 blades were 38" decks.
Richard L. Posted - 02/18/2012 : 13:58:30
Well, the Sears that I had were all the Roper built machines from about 1970 on back with 3 blade decks either 42 or 48". I have a feeling the ones you're talking about were the MTD counterparts and weren't considered a garden tractor. I had an ST12 and an ST16 both powered by Tecumsehs and then the SS16 with a 2 cylinder Onan. There were lots of different ones in my stable back in that time another being a (I'm thinking it was a) '69 or '70 SS12 with a hydro transmission. They were all tough little tractors. None were known as Craftsman until almost into the 80's If I remember right. I know some people now that have the ST16 and SS18 Onan powered ones that are something like '78 models and I think they went at least into the 80's with the Roper built stuff. I've even had one of the first lawn tractors they had that was obviously an MTD counterpart and that had a Sears name on it but shortly after they did switch to the Craftsman name. I've still got the 11 hp vertical Briggs engine from that tractor out in the garage. I just checked and that engine had a code date of '79 with it being a lowly designed MTD type thing with the Sears name on the tractor. I know that was one of their last before starting the Craftsman name so I'm thinking it was 1980 when that Craftsman name started on the tractors.
skunkhome Posted - 02/18/2012 : 12:34:59
I don't know when they started using the craftsman name but my experiences with them is from 1966 through 1970-71. All the tractors i refer to had single cylinder Tecumseh engines. The two bladed mowers were particularly problematic with gear box failures and the quality of cut was abysmal. They may have improved later but I have no experience with anything built after the late 60's.
Richard L. Posted - 02/18/2012 : 11:55:33
I've had a few (like a dozen or more)of those Sears like what was pictured in that ad in my time and believe me I didn't refer to them as Crapsman. These particular ones were well before the Craftsman name was even thought of. One particular one was an ST16 with a 48" deck that I used to mow fields of overgrown saplings and the like that would rival anything one of those front mount Simplicity jobs with the rotating knives decal on the front. That particular tractor I don't recall ever having a problem with anything on it including the belts which I surely must have tortured in some of the fields I did with clumps of 1" saplings all over. Then I moved up to an SS16 with a 2 cylinder Onan. Much , much smoother but would absolutely kill a forest of saplings. Never had a belt problem with any of them and I had over a DOZEN different ones. The only tractor I know of that was a simpler design than even Simplicity's.
skunkhome Posted - 02/18/2012 : 11:22:45
When I was a kid on northeast Louisiana the two tractors that you would see were Sears and CC. The Sears were hell on belts and everyone i knew that owned one were dealing with some state of disrepair. I had two customers who decided to buy Sears tractors rather than pay me $5/acre to mow their lawns. After a very short period of time I was back owing their lawns with my B10. They would finally get their crapsman running again and I would loose the business for a few weeks then they would call me back to mow when it broke down again. Both customers finally gave up and I mowed their yards on a continuos basis. At one place, for more than 4 years, I mowed around the rusting hulk where it stopped running in the middle of their side yard. Not only were they paying me to mow but also were paying on an installment plan to Sears for a tractor "parked" in the tall grass.
Talntedmrgreen Posted - 02/18/2012 : 09:40:41
I can't really knock them (other than appearance, ugly as sin to me), because I've never run one. I know lots of guys around here adore them. As long as they don't all start chasing the deals on Simplicity's, I'm good with that =]
skunkhome Posted - 02/18/2012 : 09:36:29
quote:
Originally posted by Talntedmrgreen

That ad would already be deleted here. Lots of Sears guys in these parts. For the money, you can't go wrong.

Yeah, but they are sears!
simplelife Posted - 02/17/2012 : 15:41:28
It is already flagged for removal.
Talntedmrgreen Posted - 02/17/2012 : 07:35:51
That ad would already be deleted here. Lots of Sears guys in these parts. For the money, you can't go wrong.

Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) © Michael's Tractors 2006-2019 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1