Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) Active Users: 3599 / Visits Today: 1108
Highest Active Users: 3599
Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors)
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Other Tractors, Attachments and other projects
 Other Garden Tractors
 MF1655

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Click here to attach a photo to your post

T O P I C    R E V I E W
olcowhand Posted - 03/16/2009 : 20:04:16
Well I brought her home. Pretty complete, but a few parts missing. I can use several parts from this for other things & likely recoup all or most my money spent by selling what I don't need.
Decided to get this one going, but NOT restoring it. I will transfer my FEL from my other MF to this one. Using the modified custom one gets manure all over it, which is hard on paint, etc. I will leave this 1655 in as-is condition to use in the barn cleaning stalls. That way my "2050" will be freed up to use for other things, plus stay cleaner for taking to a few shows. This 1655 has a much stronger front axle, plus the spindles have factory thrust bearings. I will have to find another orbital steering valve to add power steering to this one. I won't have much invested in this. I will sell the rear PTO off this to recoup most my investment (a rear pto on ebay a few days ago for $153). I paid $200 for all, plus got most of an old MTD 990. The 990 hydro is good, plus there is a hydraulic valve & cylinder I can use or sell, among other good parts. In pics, the tractor just has sheet metal laid on for pic taking. All was apart. I have all shields, plus plastic components.
I didn't know till I picked it up that I also got the original hydro & diff. Great because I prefer the Sundstrand unit. I also have a good Sundstrand pump that I robbed the rockshafts from, so I have all the innards if needed for this unit.
I built a driveshaft for it plus adapter to fit the Onan flywheel. This originally drove the rear pto shaft, with belts down to hydro driveshaft. My universal jointed driveshaft will go directly to the hydro. I will not install the rear PTO. The single pulley on rear of driveshaft will drive my hydraulic pump which will be directly below. I'll be adding a weight box to the rear of chassis. The rear PTO should bring several dollars on ebay when I get/take the time to list it. Without my lathe, jobs like this would be next to impossible, so I'm so glad I got this lathe. Paid for itself many times over.
The Onan sitting on the chassis looks rough, but runs good. I have better engine sheet metal I will be putting on this engine too. I've added an oil filter assembly as most BF's have the mounting area plated off...easy to add filter. The filter mount has threaded port so I'm adding an oil pressure gauge also.
Not using any onboard tractor hydraulics being the separate hydraulic pump will power the loader, and power steering. Power steering may have to wait a while till I find a good deal on a steering valve. I've already got a priority valve to divert partial hydraulics to steering whenever I get to that.
May be a while before I get her fired up as I have a 4 day dairy meeting in KC starting this Sunday. Kinda hate to go on trip meeting with so much fun stuff to do!

9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Leroy Posted - 06/20/2009 : 06:04:28
quote:
Originally posted by olcowhand

quote:
Originally posted by Roy

Daniel,
Oh, please send me some of your "ambition" pills. I seem to be short on them.

It's the "Kentucky Bluegrass"....besides mowing it, you can smoke it too!

Kentucky Blue Grass seed, is grown in Jefferson county and Grand Ronde areas in Oregon.
We are wacky in Oregon maybe that's why.

olcowhand Posted - 05/14/2009 : 22:03:38
Right now it's just sitting there on it's own. There are two large nuts that screw onto it, one on front & back. The nuts have bearings in there to run the PTO shaft.
skunkhome Posted - 05/14/2009 : 21:43:18
Daniel, I noticed that your front axle is set up like my Kubota... what holds the pivot pin/tube in the frame crossmember? BTW mighty nice looking work

olcowhand Posted - 05/14/2009 : 20:32:03
Ok, time for update. Have the loader mounted & fully functional. Made a "quick attach" bracket to stay with loader. Just slip under brackets on bucket or tooth set, lift, then put in retainer bolt/pin. Works very easy.

Here's the toothed attachment in progress. The teeth will be bolt in for easy replacement if needed. The main beam is tapped for 5/16 bolt. There will be tabs on each tooth for bolt to hold it in.
Now just need to get the teeth all cut & installed, then put the backsplash metal on.

olcowhand Posted - 04/09/2009 : 18:42:19
I put the redone hydro back in yesterday and man does it feel like a new unit! It throws gravel on takeoff now. Before it'd barely roll a rock. Pretty much ready to start switching the loader over to this tractor. First I have to build mount for the pump, then add the loader frame.
olcowhand Posted - 04/09/2009 : 18:40:01
Built a heavy duty tie rod from the old Yazoo mowers deck stabilizer arm. I'll never bend or break this puppy....the tube is 1/4" walled!

Here's a couple pics of the power steering addition.

olcowhand Posted - 04/09/2009 : 18:35:50
Been steadily making progress. Got power steering finished, but the hydro is weak like the former owner said. Took it apart & found the problem. The cylinder & face plate it runs against were worn badly. I had a parts hydro under the bench for years & finally found it's use. Here are the worn parts.

olcowhand Posted - 03/16/2009 : 21:09:28
quote:
Originally posted by Roy

Daniel,

It's the "Kentucky Bluegrass"....besides mowing it, you can smoke it too!
Roy Posted - 03/16/2009 : 20:51:48
Daniel,

Don't know when you sleep much less have time to think up new projects like this on. Should be a monster with the Onan, FEL, PS, etc.

Carry on.

Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) © Michael's Tractors 2006-2019 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1