Print Page | Close Window

Scaring the Weeds away, the 'Simple' way

Printed from: Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors)
Topic URL: http://www.michaelstractors.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7199
Printed on: 09/08/2024

Topic:

Topic author: Talntedmrgreen
Subject: Scaring the Weeds away, the 'Simple' way
Posted on: 04/19/2012 16:40:57
Michael recently posted a question that would make for neat discussion. Instead of hijacking, I thought it would be better called out separately.

quote:
Originally posted by B112

Looking good Larry. We only used the plow the first year and tilled every year after. The boss didn't like the tractor in the garden the rest of the year. I'm thinking of trying my own garden this year and using the tractor to clean out the weeds. It will be interesting to hear how you do weed management later in the season.

Michael...I'm no farmer, but I love an excuse to use the tractors. I use a rig about once a week to lightly cultivate and keep the weeds away. To do it, I planted with space to allow a tractor, and did find the narrower profile of the Wonderboy to be even better for squeaking through a lush garden. If you have the space it's fun!

I've used two different types of Simplicity cultivator, but never have run a tiller through the planted rows. The two piece works best, and is very easily adjustable for depth. The earlier sleeve hitch type is very effective, but the swing of it on the chain lift can get away from a guy and knock over plants, bump vehicles in the garage, etc. Nothing a little experience won't cure.

I also love the right hand lift for summer use. Before having a dedicated cultivating machine, I would leave the rear of my cultivator in place (hydro lift), as well as my mower deck (right hand lift). I would mow the lawn, then lift the deck and run the rows in the garden.

I'm also looking forward to trying the spring tooth harrow this year. Anyone have feedback on using one of those?

I guess my logic is to avoid goign deep enough to dry out my soil, but enough so to roll over the small weeds that grow, and open the crust on top to avoid run-off. I'm surrounded by field grasses, and weeds invade quickly.

It would be interesting to hear the experiences of others.

Replies:

Reply author: Cvans
Replied on: 04/19/2012 18:05:01
Great photos! I do the same thing with the row spacing. My corn rows are planted on 4' centers and the rest of the plants are also spaced for tractor cultivation. Vine plants are tough to do as they spread all over the place.
Thanks again for the photos.

Reply author: skunkhome
Replied on: 04/19/2012 18:43:27
I have the spring tooth harrow and I think the clay is too heavy for it down here. It aught to work much better in a sandy loam. Since my dirt is getting better I suppose it might work ok now but still using the sweep cultivator to break up (cut up clods). I would like to try the cultivator to keep the weeds at bay as I could surely use the help but I would loose half my rows. I must say it surely makes a beautiful garden and would give me more seat time. I love the tool bar implements.

Reply author: larry8200
Replied on: 04/20/2012 05:12:05
I am going to take the tines off of one side of a roto-tiller (they are held on with simple pins and are made so you can do just that) Then straddle the rows with the row passing under the side with the tines removed. Should work great untill the plants are 8"-10" tall. Wont be able to try it though untill late June at earliest.

Reply author: CJ55
Replied on: 04/20/2012 06:35:51
Josh, what reference point, or what do you use to drive & not cover up plants? My only thinking, you have to lean over & look under the tractor.

Reply author: Talntedmrgreen
Replied on: 04/20/2012 12:23:06
quote:
Originally posted by larry8200

I am going to take the tines off of one side of a roto-tiller (they are held on with simple pins and are made so you can do just that) Then straddle the rows with the row passing under the side with the tines removed. Should work great untill the plants are 8"-10" tall. Wont be able to try it though untill late June at earliest.

That's a good idea Larry. I do like the simplicity of the non-powered ground engagement though. Really, even if a guy had to remove and reattach one of the rear mount cultivators in order to use it, it's not a big hassle at all. They are probably the easiest attachments to hook up.

quote:
Originally posted by CJ55

Josh, what reference point, or what do you use to drive & not cover up plants? My only thinking, you have to lean over & look under the tractor.

Honestly, I just gauge it by the front wheels, and drive straight. With a straight row it's simple to maintain speed and a parallel course...the cultivator will follow nicely. I found that trying to look back over your shoulder causes me to lose my 'line' and begin bumping into produce. I cultivate in second gear...maybe half to three quarter throttle. If I go slow, I cannot stay as straight, and if I go too fast and make an error, it compounds the problem too quickly to recover. Also, keeping speed moderated helps avoid knocking peppers off the plant, or tearing the big ol broccoli leaves as the toolbar brushes by. A little bump has never hurt any of my stuff.

Reply author: CJ55
Replied on: 04/20/2012 17:40:16
The reason why I asked, I'm going to have start cultivating sweet corn & green beans next week.

Muggsie

Michael's Tractors (Simplicity and Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors) : http://www.michaelstractors.com/forum/

© Michael's Tractors 2006-2019

Close Window